Anyone used the “Modern” 50 summicron (not m) m39 LTM?

this one right ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

It's rendering is SAME as it has the same optical cell than M

I use the two after the other sold.

Very nicely built and keep the sliding hood (a bit short as other Cron of same period), while the 50th anniversary lost it,

and has kept the 70cm focus in place of the 1m of LTM.

left weight is 260g (50 th) right hefty 323g LTM without caps

Already seen here

When used on Barnack, this modern lens hides a lot of VF framing,

even on IIIg like here, better use it with SBOOI for comfortable framing

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

It's rendering is SAME as it has the same optical cell than M

I use the two after the other sold.

Very nicely built and keep the sliding hood (a bit short as other Cron of same period), while the 50th anniversary lost it,

and has kept the 70cm focus in place of the 1m of LTM.

left weight is 260g (50 th) right hefty 323g LTM without caps

Already seen here

Eh... the "50 year" is a lens I'd like to have (and stood 1 day too much thinking, when had the opportunity to buy one... and went away 😒) : just a question that I ave never cleared about the "50 th" : has it the unscrewable lenshead like the original "rigid Summicron" ?

Hello Luigi,

I had same  question when I purchased this 50 th., a while back.

I tried to unscrew, the optical cell did not come apart.

Nevermind, I can use my lensheads of Cron Rigid or DR when I need to use SOMKY 😉

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello Luigi,

I had same  question when I purchased this 50 th., a while back.

I tried to unscrew, the optical cell did not come apart.

Nevermind, I can use my lensheads of Cron Rigid or DR when I need to use SOMKY 😉

Exactly like me... 😎 

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the 1999 special edition 50 Summilux and 50 Summicron lenses in LTM. I love the 50 Summilux III SE and much prefer it to the 50 Summilux IV ASPH I used to have. It is particularly good on film and is the lens I use most on my M7. The Summicron is the third 50 Summicron V I have had and the first really good one. It is very sharp and slightly sharper than the Summilux at large apertures. They are beautifully made lenses and I was very lucky to have a Japanese friend who bought them for me at reasonable prices at estate sales. I was always puzzled why Leica decided only to market these in Japan. I would have thought that the LHSA could have sold a whole lot of them. My Japanese friend said that a considerable proportion of the elderly Leica collectors who bought these lenses in 1999, are now turning their toes up. Their wives who have waited years for this, sell off the Leica equipment as soon as they can, so that they can then spend the rest of their lives going on cruises (this was all pre-Covid-19). I certainly enjoy using these lenses on my various LTM cameras and with LTM to M adapters on various M cameras. Word of warning - if you want to use them on the later Leica digital M cameras with live view, M240 etc, the standard LTM to M adapters don't work and give the "no lens detected" message. I have found the matt black Rayqual adapters do work and they have a slot to mark in lens codes. 

Wilson

Here are my lovely pair of Special Edition LTM lenses, with the Summilux to the left. I would have bought the third lens, the 35 ASPH Summicron, except I had just bought an ex-display 35 ASPH 35 Summicron-M from the Leica Boutique in Paris, to get a lighter 35 lens than the chrome/brass 35 ASPH Summilux I already had. It t would not therefore had seemed sensible to buy a heavier version of the 35 Summicron. Both of the 50's are very dense feeling and noticeably heavier than the regular alloy bodied black versions.  

The only thing I did not like about both of them was the absence of a focus tab, given I have very arthritic hands and have motor drives on my two most used M film cameras, M4-P and M7. I therefore like to hold these cameras with two hands most of the time and just extend a finger to focus. You can only do this if you have a tab. I am using TAAB rubber tabbed bands, which are easily removable if not terribly aesthetically pleasing. The focusing is one area where the Summilux III SE beats my previous 50 ASPH Summilux IV hands down. The III focus is like silk, the IV had exceedingly stiff and jerky focus.  The other alteration from standard was that when it arrived, the Summicron had lost its original lens cap and had an incorrect ill fitting plastic cap in its place. Luckily the nice quality metal lens cap from the 50 APO Summicron is a good fit with a single layer of self adhesive velvet on the inside rim. 

Wilson