Leica CL camera being discontinued

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course, given the negative press, I couldn't resit trying out the TL IS.

Mounted the 105-280 @ 280, used B&W for clarity and shot at 1/40th, hand-held, free standing, using Live View.

The result without IS was better than expected, but still rather artistic:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

However, the stabilisation was amazingly good. This is a consistent result, not a fluke: Remember - 1/40th, 280 mm on APS, fully hand-held free-standing and IS. Only minor cropping, too. Slight front-focus I see.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Leica C has a feature called Stabilizer.  Is that same principle?  I have always thought it improved blur at 200mm relative zoom and slower shutter speeds.I need to play with it and see. Leica C was greatly underrated during short time it was offered. Great very small camera for use when only camera that can be carried. Used  mine to illustrate magazine article on 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Dan

On 3/28/2020 at 6:41 PM, jaapv said:

I never said it was an effective feature on the TL - you may have noticed ed that I didn't even bother to test it out-, although it appears to work far better than on the T. My point is that a digital IBIS (which is not the same as electronic crop, although it will lose some edge pixels, I suppose) can well be developed for future models using for instance 4/6/8K technology. I would not be surprised if Leica would implement something like that in a future CL2. I don't see a philosophical difference between digital and mechanical IBIS (REAL IBIS? what is that supposed to be??? Wheels, cogs and electric motors? Or steam-driven? ;) ). As long as it works.

The Sigma FP has a similar feature, where it takes 4 pictures and combines them. The issue is that it only works in jpeg, not in RAW, which is a deal killer for me, so I never use it.

Alain

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

I feel the same, but on reconsideration, if the choice is between a blurred raw or a sharp jpg... 8k might make a substantial difference.

For me the choice is: do I use the FP with better high ISO or the SL2 with IBIS... I have to be honest, more often than not, the answer has been: none of the above, I just grab the iPhone 11 at night.

Alain

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I attended that Zoom Conference. What was said either by Stefan or Dr Kaufmann was that Leica was committed to producing APS-C cameras as it was a profitable and competitive segment with good quality offerings from Fuji, Sony etc. They were less specific about what future products would look like, but it did sound like the mount on the CL will continue into the future. Dr Kaufmann indicated that supply chains for parts had been affected by Covid and related factors, so it might be expected that future product launches could be put back. Typical development time for new camera models was stated to be about 2.5 years.

Even though I am not interested in L mount cameras, I did not note anything more specific than what I have said above. The overall intent to stay in this sector was quite clear, though.

William 

• Like 5

On 3/28/2020 at 2:51 AM, nicci78 said:

Certainly typo. SL2 is the sole Leica with IBIS 

Not so.  Both the Q and Q2 have IBIS.  Is it really useful for a 28mm focal length?  I'm not complaining.  I feel certain that it has helped me with some very slow shutter speeds.

Q & Q2 has OIS = optical image stabilisation. A tiny lens within the optics correct any unwanted movement. 
SL2 has IBIS = in body image stabilisation. The whole sensor is mounted on magnets. And move to combat any unwanted movement. 
T/TL has EIS = electronic image stabilisation. It took several image and merge them into one sharper jpeg, only. 

All Leica that can take video has some sort of EIS for videos. 

Q/Q2 OIS is really useful for video. They are usable handheld. When CL video with EIS and lenses without OIS are quite shaky without tripod.

18 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Q & Q2 has OIS = optical image stabilisation. A tiny lens within the optics correct any unwanted movement. 
SL2 has IBIS = in body image stabilisation. The whole sensor is mounted on magnets. And move to combat any unwanted movement. 
T/TL has EIS = electronic image stabilisation. It took several image and merge them into one sharper jpeg, only. 

All Leica that can take video has some sort of EIS for videos. 

Q/Q2 OIS is really useful for video. They are usable handheld. When CL video with EIS and lenses without OIS are quite shaky without tripod.

Thanks for the correction.  I had forgotten that the Q/Q2 have IS in the lens. I know that on Canon, Nikon and Sony forums, people argue about which is superior--IBIS or OIS.  The difference is probably minuscule for still photography.  I don't know about video.

Actually it is quite simple. Video loves IBIS. It also loves the combination of IBIS, OIS and EIS. Or even better, just buy a tripod with video head. Yes you need another head. 

For photo, IBIS is better for wide angle and OIS is better for telephoto. For very long lens, you will need both functioning together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1