Leica CL camera being discontinued

i only got mine like two weeks ago, so of course they're being discontinued. story of my life. i did get a good price on it and a 23/2 lens and if the new price goes below what i paid, i'd be upset. and if it needs a firmware update and leica stops supporting it i'd be upset. but i look on the bright side, it's like new and it's a wetzlar leica and some of those have become essentially timeless, although more in the film age than the digital age, i admit.

/guy

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, cirke said:

https://leicarumors.com/2020/03/04/leica-cl-camera-being-discontinued.aspx/

Do you think they'll stop completely? Or will there be a CL2?

There has already been a thread about this - that rumour is several weeks old and just down to some suppliers being out of stock.

Edited by Boojay
Adding link to previous thread.

I have a conspiracy theory - probably not true but fun:  LR has a deep throat inside Leica, but it is a double agent. Sometimes they feed them scraps to aid marketing ("leaks" of new models, "mistakes" on the website, etc. ) but sometimes they feed them false information - in this case, to boost sales by "torschlusspanik"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But it really strikes me how the brand can seed such uncertainty. First the Summarit and now the CL. What kind of communication is that? Whether its a blooper or not: There are real adds supporting the information. 

Take Canon: In order to mitigate the damaging reports about the upcoming EOS 5R they issued immediately a press release to clarify. That is what customers like. 

Hard to sell mrrorless cameras w/o IBIS nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised to see that in the CL2. Could interest me provided the CL2 doesn't grow in size and IBIS works with manual lenses.  Sounds rather unlikely so i don't hold my breath..

59 minutes ago, lct said:

Hard to sell mrrorless cameras w/o IBIS nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised to see that in the CL2. Could interest me provided the CL2 doesn't grow in size and IBIS works with manual lenses.  Sounds rather unlikely so i don't hold my breath..

Not for me. At most it is only a "good to have". 

IBIS only means pushing further in the low light without pushing ISO. I rarely go beyond ISO 3200.    

2 hours ago, Mr.Prime said:

they would he cutting their own throat, the CL is a playground for manual lenses and I'm sure Leica sell a few more lenses because of the cl.

I tend to agree. 

Isn't that Leica want to build low cost alternative for their SL line, through the SL alliance? Isn't CL/TL  another way to achieve that?

einst_stein:
"Not for me. At most it is only a "good to have". 

IBIS only means pushing further in the low light without pushing ISO. I rarely go beyond ISO 3200.    "

it would make all the difference for the sigma 70mm macro lens and not only for macro. when i use this lens i have to fix the shutter speed at 1/125th or 1/250th in order to ensure stability.

/guy

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

no interest in ibis at all, I find modern digital cameras have enough ISO, or that I don’t want object motion blur. for times when it is an issue, which are rare, one uses a tripod. I don’t want the weight, size, cost, battery drain or compromises of ibis. Seems like it was handy in the film days.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gteague said:

einst_stein:
"Not for me. At most it is only a "good to have". 

IBIS only means pushing further in the low light without pushing ISO. I rarely go beyond ISO 3200.    "

it would make all the difference for the sigma 70mm macro lens and not only for macro. when i use this lens i have to fix the shutter speed at 1/125th or 1/250th in order to ensure stability.

/guy

Just 70mm?  Macro?  Waiting for CL2 with IBIS?

OMG! Never tried  any other solutions?

I spent several years with the SL and the two larger zooms and their effective OIS. When I added the wide zoom and the 90SL prime I expected to run into all sorts of problems with lack of stabilisation, but not so. I think it depends on your subject matter. If you shoot static subjects, such as landscape, then IS is a real boon. If you are more into moving subjects, such as people, then you need faster shutter speeds not to avoid camera shake, but subject movement blur.

8 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Just 70mm?  Macro?  Waiting for CL2 with IBIS?

OMG! Never tried  any other solutions?

as far as hand-holding goes on apc, it's a 105mm. and macro usually needs a tripod. at least in the past that's the case, but with 3-5 stops of ibis the tripod can sometimes be unnecessary. i've shot available light with slow film (compared to digital) speeds my whole life and i can assure you i used to be able to handhold at shutter speeds so low you wouldn't believe me if i told you.

but you'll get old and sick someday and when that happens, you'll run to the store to trade in your models without it. it's nearly the game-changer that autofocus was to those of us with horrible eyesight.

/guy

If, when I am old, I can only take 80% of the shots that I can take today, so be it. I will get old, I won’t be able to do it all but the brain behind the camera will still enjoy using an M3 even if the number of keepers goes down. Heck, I’ll be thrilled to still be above the ground and out of pain.

• Like 4

We should stop reading Leica rumors. 
He never got any scoop. The only correct information he got, is by reporting Nokhishita news. 
It is easier to check them directly on Twitter with auto translate. 

He missed a lot of information about SL2, even when lots of preview were done with many customer. 

He also stated that a whole range of M lenses are being discontinued officially. But guess what. There is no official statement at all. 
Even worst, there are no replacement either. It is silly to discontinue without replacement. 
Leica is making lenses in batch. No need to produce a particular type, if stock level is high enough. 

So we should stop these non sense of click bait. 
CL will be discontinued when CL2 will be  announced. Product life cycle is that simple. 
By the way, Leica used to replace its product every 3 years. But it seems to slip to 4 years now. So no CL2 before novembre 2020 at the soonest and novembre 2021 at the latest. 

Discussion about no IBIS cameras should be sold is weird, when almost all APS-C mirrorless cameras do not sport IBIS ! Ex : Nikon Z50. All Canon EF-M cameras. All Fujifilm X cameras except XT-4 and XH-1. All Sony A6xx except A6500 and A6600. Etc...

Last but not least APS-C represent more than 80% of the market share. It is not a dying format ! Far from it. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1