3rd party lens hood for 28mm Elmarit IV

tedd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does this exist? With the crumbling AUD I'd be looking at over $200 for a Leica hood, which just feels ridiculous to me. I have done some Googling but not found any useful information outside of the two Leica hoods that will fit it. Thanks!

The hood itself is fairly ridiculous, LOL. I shoot mine without and have had very few flare/contrast problems.

The Leica 12588 hood (have one for my 35mm f/1.4 pre-FLE) also fits on the Elmarit 28mm v4. It doesn't cause any blockage or vignetting and it is a bit less bulky than the intended hood.

2 hours ago, andyturk said:

The Leica 12588 hood (have one for my 35mm f/1.4 pre-FLE) also fits on the Elmarit 28mm v4. It doesn't cause any blockage or vignetting and it is a bit less bulky than the intended hood.

12588 (left) was made for the "aspherical" 35/1.4 if memory serves whereas 12589 is for the pre-FLE. Only difference 12589 has a locking ring, otherwise they are the same hood. 12588 is my favorite but it drops easily from the lens due to the lack of locking ring. FWIW.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@lct Yup, I have the same lens: 35mm ASPH v1 and the same hood (the one without the locking ring). I only tried the 12588 hood on the 28mm Elmarit v4 a couple of times, but it seemed to stay on reasonably well. However, I think the 28mm Elmarit v4 is fine without a hood. I use the Summicron 28mm hoodless too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I owned this lens I used a Contax Metal Hood GG-1 from the Contax G system, which I also use currently with the 28mm Summicron (I) and 35mm Summilux ASPH pre-FLE.  This is a very low-profile hood.  It’s more common in the champagne/titanium color but can also be found in black.  Not as expensive as Leica options or as inexpensive as Chinese options.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:53 PM, lct said:

12588 (left) was made for the "aspherical" 35/1.4 if memory serves whereas 12589 is for the pre-FLE. Only difference 12589 has a locking ring, otherwise they are the same hood. 12588 is my favorite but it drops easily from the lens due to the lack of locking ring. FWIW.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi

I just hate the 12589 with the locking ring... getting the feeling of risking to break the lens everytime I put the hood on. Probably me not being patient enough to learn the technique. I was not aware of that more handy 12588 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 6:10 PM, Stein K S said:

Not wanting to stop this thread about this really nice lens, my true opinion is that this lens really do not need a hood... (if glare is the issue!).

Truthfully, I've not had any flare issues in the short time that I've owned this lens. My v5 50mm Cron does flare a little though even with the hood so I thought maybe this would have the same issue being from the same era. If not then I'll go without and keep my kit lighter!

• Like 1

I've been using this lens with the 35 Summilux asph hood as shown above although I still have that ridiculous original hood as well. I haven't been able to bring myself take the hood off when I go out with it (that naked feeling) but may give it a try after reading that some of you have used it that way. Thank you Andy, Tedd, Stein, Luigi and Andreas.

During this crazy time we all have on hand, perhaps the remainder of this thread could include: Sans hood, the Elmarit IV -Make it Flare!

Just a thought.... David 

Edited by DwF
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DwF said:

I've been using this lens with the 35 Summilux asph hood as shown above although I still have that ridiculous original hood as well. I haven't been able to bring myself take the hood off when I go out with it (that naked feeling) but may give it a try after reading that some of you have used it that way. Thank you Andy, Tedd, Stein, Luigi and Andreas.

During this crazy time we all have on hand, perhaps the remainder of this thread could include: Sans hood, the Elmarit IV -Make it Flare!

Just a thought.... David 

I will give it a go! Seems to be some sunny days coming up 😉

• Like 1