Why do I feel like I am the only guy using a Leica M8 here?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I live here in Salt Lake City and tbh, I feel like I am the only one who is using a Leica M8 around the area. Most folks are enjoying a M9 or M10. However, I find that the M8 is a joy to use and as a student it's much more affordable.

I assume there are more folks using their M8?

Hello Albert

There are still plenty of people using the M8 and M8.2 cameras...I have two and use them, as well as my M-P (typ240).

The M8's are not the flavour of the month so are not discussed so much now.  But they are very reliable and robust cameras.

If you watch you''ll see those that use these cameras, and there are particular threads with more M8 pictures.

all best..

• Like 1

The sky was wonderful out with IR, M8 25 Canon R72 filter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

In general, the M8 is a fine rangefinder experience, and I found 10 Mpixels to be "enough" for most things.

The only reason I had to jump to an M9 the first week it came out is that my key lens is a 21mm Super-wide - and I needed the full-frame size (not so much pixel count).

Since 2014 I've owned 4 M8s. The first one was stolen, so insurance paid for a replacement. I sold the replacement, than bought another, then in the meantime bought a M240. Since then I've gone though 3 M8s, either sold at a profit or at a very slight loss, so it all evened out. I sold my last one about 6 months ago, and I sit here thinking about snagging another if the price is right, I can't believe myself. Maybe that means there's something about the image quality, its simplicity, and its reliability that kept me coming back.

When will I ever learn?

1 hour ago, cobbu2 said:

When will I ever learn?

Remember: if there's a time when you really really have to have money and there's no other way around it, then okay sell the children.  If, and only if, you need even more money, sell your Leica.

Pete.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, farnz said:

Remember: if there's a time when you really really have to have money and there's no other way around it, then okay sell the children.  If, and only if, you need even more money, sell your Leica.

Pete.

That pretty much sums it up. Now I know better (finally)!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cobbu2 said:

Since 2014 I've owned 4 M8s. The first one was stolen, so insurance paid for a replacement. I sold the replacement, than bought another, then in the meantime bought a M240. Since then I've gone though 3 M8s,

I think that makes 6? :)

An even better score:  just find another, scratch the itch :D

• Like 3

I bought my M8 second hand, about ten years ago. When I got the MM, I thought about selling the M8. However, I kept it as a colour backup for the rare occasions, I needed colour. I also felt the urge to acquire a MM 246. That was a lens calibration nightmare and the camera spent too long time in Wetzlar and the calibration was never right. Well, I sold the 246, the MM died of lens cancer. The M8 is here on the table and because of this thread I am right now charging the battery ;)

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 3

You are not alone. I bought my chrome M8 used in 2010. It was one of the first 500 made based on its serial number. I reach for it often, in fact, just made several exposures with it in the last hour. Even though I have 2 newer digital M cameras, I have never felt an inclination to sell/trade my M8.

• Like 1

I have returned to mine after a long break. I thought about getting an M240 a year or so back when I decided to treat myself but in the end instead got a Q from someone planning to upgrade to the Q2. I knew the Q would complement the M8 whereas the M240 would supplant it. Of the two - the M8 and the Q I use the M8 much more as it has far greater flexibility due to its interchangeable lens.

The Street Flows like a River by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Lunch Booth by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Barber Poles by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

• Like 3

Am 30.3.2020 um 00:23 schrieb cobbu2:

...When will I ever learn?

Buy a good instruction book about the M10 and then forget anything about the outdated M8.😀  

Hi, I just bought an M8, two weeks ago, and I'm very happy with.

My first digital M.

It turns on again my photographic pleasure, I have swimming in the digital world ( not M's) without success, fighting with the lack of "respect for the tool".

I returned again to Hasselblad, Leica III, Rolleiflex....and others lovely ( to me, and not always expensive) cameras I have, but now, I feel in the middle of the two worlds, I respect each actuation, I do not use the screen.

I look the pictures later, in the computer.

The 640 iso, is more than the Tril-X, I use to use.

All in all, for the first time ( just my personal experience) I respect a digital camera, this slow one, with it's limitations.

And I guess, if I've not sell the other analog ones, the M8, will stay at home, even if a buy another M, one day.

Very happy, new 10mp horizons.

I need to say that to "go back" to 10 mp, was a strange feeling, but now after 2 weeks, I feel ok with that.

Here, at home testing 1250 asa with my son.

Fabian

• Like 10

On 4/1/2020 at 7:18 PM, mnutzer said:

Buy a good instruction book about the M10 and then forget anything about the outdated M8.😀  

Concerning the M10, the instruction book would be the only thing I could afford for now... for that price I could have all four of my previous M8s back. :D But I think there might be one in my future some day.

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 1

I bought a 2nd hand M8 about 8 years ago.   It is still my primary camera.  I am very happy with mine.  

Enjoy what you have!   M8 is an amazing machine.  I just wish I was a better photographer.  In my case - the camera is not my limitation.   

Comments about wide angle compatibility are valid.   I am not a super wide angle user - so non issue for me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1