Visoflex adapter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a Leica 400mm Telyt f5.6 the description says it is an M mount for a Visoflex. I want to use it on my CL where I am currently using a 200 Telyt screw mount with a TZOON adapter. Was wondering what the corresponding adapter for an M mount Viso lens? 

Leitz' name for these parts is "intermediate tube".  543195 is the part number for Visoflex II/III with the M mount intermediate tube.  It is from the medical catalog I believe.  Unfortunately they are somewhat rare.  I think you best option is to contact Novoflex in Germany.  Contact Martin Grahl at grahl@novoflex.com.  There may be options from Japan or China to be found on e-bay.

Novoflex LEM/VIS is the device for you : well built, and has the flange - to - flange length of the Viso II/III :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But.. sorry : do you refer to the Digital CL or the old film CL ?  If the digital, of course you need also the M adapter (no problem, add it to the LEM/VIS) ... but if it's the nice Film Leica CL.. you don't need one more adapter... but have to focus 😉... and there's no way other than a Visoflex for a 400mm (unless infinity-only pics 😎)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Luigi,

I should remember on this section of the Forum I have to specify which CL, this is a digital CL. I have to wait for the 400 to get here, the seller said it didn't mate with the LEM/VIS he had, which is also on E**y. He said the mount would go into the adapter but he couldn't turn the lens in the mount. Wondering if the is a modified unit, different mount. I may buy a Viso head, lock the mirror and take off the shutter arm, would be a lot less expensive than the adapter, which new is more than I paid for the lens.

Thanks  

6 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Luigi,

Looking at your picture the LEM/VIS being advertised and on the B&H Photo site is a set of extension tubes, yours looks like a solid adapter, is yours a different adapter?

Yes, is the first - "one piece" - version : the current version is made by several rings (more flexibility to use as standard macro-extender) with the same global length.

The issue of the seller is an oddity... 😒... if the lens "enters" the LEM/VIS adapter, it MUST engage... is all in all a std. M mount... isn't by chance a Telyt for R mount ? All another matter, of course... btw, larger diameter... hum... is he a trustable seller ?

If it is the R mount version of the Telyt 400/5.6, that is actually a lot easier on digital. Just use a standard R to L Leica adapter. There are better alternatives than the 400/5.6 lens, which is mediocre at best. I gave up on my 560/400 kit and sold it. I have a Contax 300/600/1200 mm modular tele-tessar kit, which are available relatively cheaply and is far better than the Telyt 400/560. I can use this on my M240, SL and CL with a Novoflex LEM/CONT adapter and for the CL/SL with the Novoflex plus a M to L adapter. For Visoflex lenses, the 280 Telyt, especially the V3 version is a lot better than the Telyt 400/5.6. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

mmhh.. no... the Telyt 400 f5,6 does not exist in Viso I mount... for the Viso I there was the Telyt 400 f(good lens, btw) which is completely different (see the Wiki for info about). Lenses for Viso I are a bit problematic on the digital CL... OUBIO+LEM/VIS+CL M adapter ? bleah... 3 pieces ... but one can find the TXBOO which, briefly said, is a single tube as long as OUBIO+VisoII (to say OUBIO+LEM/VIS) 😉 .. a pair on ebay at 125 Euro right now...

1 minute ago, zeitz said:

Also mmhh..  OUBIO has an ordinary male M mount on the camera side.  It works on any female M fitting as long as the tripod foot clears what you are mounting to.  The 400mm f5.0 is my favorite Telyt.

Right... but in the above (hipotetical) case, you had to mount the OUBIO not on camera (on a M is impossible, indeed) but in front of another "tube" (say... the LEM /VIS) ... no interference... but an odd combo... 🙄

It is all too easy to go overboard on Leica adapters, given the 90 year history of these devices. For example, below is a Telyt 200 Visoflex 1 lens, with an OUBIO to convert to a Viso II/III lens, then a 14167 Viso lens to R mount adapter, then an R to M mount adapter and finally an M to L adapter to a digital CL. I could have used my R to L adapter but I wanted to illustrate the point of too many adapters. The Telyt 200 is rather a nice lens, particularly for black and white photography and is surprisingly sharp. I have been tempted to get a Telyt 400/f5 Viso 1 lens but I have far, far too many Leica lenses already (just bought a 100mm/f2.8 APO Macro-Elmarit-R with ELPRO 1:1and extension tube this week). 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Just received the lens, it is a pistol grip and dial focus, half the weight of the 400 Fern Kilar. Definitely an M mount, my M to L adapter fits nicely. It does have a rotating mount so I am wondering if that interfered with the Novoflex LEM/VIS adapter the previous owner couldn't use or his was defective. For an extension tube I decided just to get a used Visoflex, can use the head, mirror locked up with my CL, and it will also allow me to use it on my M3.

• Like 1

LEM VIS haven't any issue with the pistol grip, even if you rotate the mount... but you have made a right choice... 😎 a used Viso goes rather cheap .. it's robust and even noot to heavy if you use without prism on the CL (the pistol grip and the 400 make most of the global weight, and LEM VIS is not SO light)

Hera's my pistol grip ("Televit") with LEM/VIS at back (Telyt 280 on front) ; the well visible lever on the back of the Televit is for the 90° rotation you quote

• Like 3