Disadvantages of buying an early S?

pgk

• 2 weeks later...

My S2 has been returned from New Jersey, they were so kind to ship it out prior to closing down a few weeks ago, where they received it back from Germany. 

New sensor, adjustments to focus, thorough cleaning.  The camera is like new.  It’s taking beautiful images, I had forgotten how smooth the images are with great detail.  I inquired with two Leica dealers about repair a while back, both said sensor replacement was not covered and would be in the range of $4000 iirc.  A third dealer encouraged me to send it in for an estimate.  The sensor had little corrosion but sadly it cracked.  The estimate came back a few hundred dollars and certainly worth the price.   Perhaps I got lucky and Leica felt the crack was covered whereas sensor corrosion is not, I don’t know, Leica repair is a mysterious process.   

Pgk, you were so kind to answer me thoroughly in another post I’m  hoping to return the favor. The S2 is somewhat slow to operate, compared to the likes of an SL.  The shutter button is clunky, review is a rather slow scrolling process, the screen is dated and low res. It lacks the level adjustment of the 006. The 006 improves on speed and functionality, but really contributes little more.  I think both are incredible values for what they are, ovf is a pleasure, but most important is the image IQ.  It is simply a gorgeous sensor, by that I mean there’s a beautiful transition from shadow to highlight, subtle color differences are rendered subtly, it has less of a digital look.  A Mandler sensor, as opposed to an aspherical sensor, if  that makes sense, while retaining a high degree of detail.  The S2 and 006 lack the sizzle of the newer bodies, they continue to deliver great IQ.  Recently, I did some copy work with my S-E, if there is a deficiency it’s lack of live view is it. My viewfinder was off ever so slightly, something I’d never noticed in other types of photography.  OTOH, lack of features is not always a deficit, it reminds me of the days when we had to work at our craft for a technically good result.  I’m so tempted to buy more lenses at the bargain prices offered, the fly in the ointment is obsolescence of the system as a whole and unlike mechanical lenses the S lenses could become beautiful relics.  I wish Leica would provide a roadmap, one new body in four years is not encouraging.  In the meantime I have several projects in mind for my S system, weather and public health permitting I can’t wait to get out and shoot.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks darylgo. The one I was looking at, whilst not expensive still has its original sensor. For 20% more I can buy one with a replaced sensor, so I'm still pondering. I don't see using this camera with its original lenses and really want it for special purpose use simply because of the large size of its sensor. Thanks.

3 hours ago, pgk said:

The one I was looking at, whilst not expensive still has its original sensor. For 20% more I can buy one with a replaced sensor, so I'm still pondering.

I'd go with the one that's had its sensor replaced as the replaced sensor will at least be newer and you might also have some of the 1 year warranty left on the replacement sensor. 

53 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

I'd go with the one that's had its sensor replaced as the replaced sensor will at least be newer and you might also have some of the 1 year warranty left on the replacement sensor. 

+1

Is there any information about the replaced sensors, are they similar to the M9 and will not corrode once replaced?

Pgk, what lenses are you planning to use?  

Just now, darylgo said:

+1

Is there any information about the replaced sensors, are they similar to the M9 and will not corrode once replaced?

I asked this question of a service guy at Leica in Wetzlar and the replacement sensors have different glass/whatever than the ones that corroded.

Soft focus adjustment seems to be a highly desirable feature in a lens hence the outrageous prices of the Dallmeyers with soft focus adjustment. Slightly off topic, but the only large format lenses still in commercial production are now made by Cooke (a descendent of Taylor, Taylor & Hobson). I want to use some rather older 1850/60s Grubb (Irish) lenses as well as some 1880/90s made by Wray of England.