Disadvantages of buying an early S?

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At some point I could do with a camera with as large a sensor as possible  for use with older, larger format lenses and the price of early S series bodies makes one look like more of a viability for the limited use it would get. Are there any significant disadvantages to buying and using an early S series body?

The S2 and S006 have potential CCD corrosion. It can be fixed, but I do not think Leica does it for free anymore. The S006 is the better camera from a usability standpoint...it adds a better screen, better interface (imo), and has a much more intuitive way to zoom around images. The S2 has in my experience, nearly identical image quality. Instead of ISO 100 base and 1600 max, it is ISO 160 base and 1250 max, but it is the same sensor...just slightly different tuning. The color is the same, VF, shutter, battery etc. I think there are some differences in the vertical grip? Or maybe that was from the 006 to 7? These cameras are old now, but they are really quite robust in use, and I think if you get one with a good sensor, there is no reason to fear it. I think they are incredibly good cameras for the price these days, especially if you are content with normal ISO ranges and know when you need to break out a tripod (basically for anything under 1/250th if things are critical to have tack sharp). 

• Thanks 1

The S006 and S2 will definitely be hard on old lenses though...they will show you the faults in your lenses...

Keep in mind that sometimes the issue with lack of sharpness is stability. When I tried to use the S on a monorail camera for 4x5 lenses, it was sometimes hard to get maximum sharpness because the shutter and mirror make a significant amount of vibration, even when on a good stand. I found this with a 350mm FE lens for Hasselblad too. I could not get good results even with mirror lock up. When I switched to the heavy wooden tripod I was using for 8x10, results improved. I was using a RRS TVC33 before, so it was not like I was using a lightweight tripod to begin with! 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

It can be fixed, but I do not think Leica does it for free anymore. 

As of June 2019 is costs €2,400 (plus VAT) to replace a 006 sensor. I guess the price is the same for a new S2 sensor? 

• Thanks 2

I managed to pick up a sensor-corroded 006 for £786 so I'm in two minds as to what to do:-

a) Get the 006 sensor replaced for £2,200 (I don't pay VAT)

or

b) Use that £2,200 as 50% towards buying a second-hand 007? 

5 minutes ago, pgk said:

So we are back to the M9 issue in that a good but unreplaced sensor may well corrode in the future? Hence the low value of such cameras?

I was lucky to get it so cheap. The same seller (a reputable business seller on eBay) is listing one at the moment for £1,000 more than what I paid.

When shooting at f3.5 or below the sensor corrosion spots aren't even visible!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sarnian said:

I managed to pick up a sensor-corroded 006 for £786 so I'm in two minds as to what to do:-

a) Get the 006 sensor replaced for £2,200 (I don't pay VAT)

or

b) Use that £2,200 as 50% towards buying a second-hand 007? 

use that 2200 to get a second S006 body that has already swap CCD cover so you don't have to do lens swap!!!!

3 hours ago, xiaubauu2009 said:

use that 2200 to get a second S006 body that has already swap CCD cover so you don't have to do lens swap!!!!

I didn't think of a 3rd option! 

I actually own 2 006's (both with sensor corrosion!). One I got for £786 and the other I got for FREE as eBay/Payal gave me a full refund as it wasn't as listed and the seller and I couldn't work things out. 

1 hour ago, Sarnian said:

I didn't think of a 3rd option! 

I actually own 2 006's (both with sensor corrosion!). One I got for £786 and the other I got for FREE as eBay/Payal gave me a full refund as it wasn't as listed and the seller and I couldn't work things out. 

you don't have to return the camera???

1 minute ago, Boojay said:

Glad you're smiling - I don't expect the seller is.  

It was him who was being uncooperative with eBay. What's more, he sold me the 006 claiming that it was in good condition and that it didn't suffer from sensor corrosion. As it turns out, it wasn't in good condition and it did suffer from sensor corrosion so he got his comeuppance in my opinion.. 

44 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

It was him who was being uncooperative with eBay. What's more, he sold me the 006 claiming that it was in good condition and that it didn't suffer from sensor corrosion. As it turns out, it wasn't in good condition and it did suffer from sensor corrosion so he got his comeuppance in my opinion.. 

Yes, I understand what you are saying but find it incomprehensible that any seller (knowing eBay rules) would not just accept his error,  and offer full refund on return, that is usual practise isn't it? Sounds like your seller shot himself in the foot.

Nope. The seller is out of pocket and you have basically abused the eBay buyer protection to steal a camera. 

let this be a warning to all ebay sellers. The buyer is always right and eBay will rule in their favour. Furthermore you are taking all the risk when selling on eBay so only sell things that you are willing to give away for free. 

Even if it can be legally justified in the eBay / PayPal policies (really ?) getting a full refund a not sending back the camera to the seller is not ethically right. You shouldn't do that.

If you do so hopefully the karma will get back at you 🙃

How can I send the camera back to the seller if I don’t know their address? Even eBay couldn’t get in contact with them! 

It’s beat up and has bad sensor corrosion (all of which it was listed as NOT having) so I’m not going to be selling it on to make a profit. The seller tried to dupe me and he got his comeuppance. His loss, my gain.

And even if I could send the camera back, wouldn’t I be giving him the possibility to dupe someone else?! I’m keeping it as a service to the public. 👮‍♂️

Edited by Sarnian