Photography dies?

plasticman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, then I guess the advent of word processors means that writing is dead also. Or maybe even the ballpoint pen did it. Or if not that, the felt tip pen.

While I'm at it, MP3 files means music is dead.

They're all -- like cameras -- just different ways to record and preserve some piece of life. Visual, or words or auditory.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this thread is off-topic to begin with, might as well jump in again ...

Well from a technical point of view, MP3 _is_ the death of music.

Do you mean from a technical "reproduction quality" point of view, or a technical "distribution and rights management" point of view? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Reproduction. From a distribution point of view where the purchasers aren't interested in the very highest quality it's fantastic, and it has/will revolutionise music distribution.

The only problem is if people somehow get used to 'free' music. That will be a very, very, bad thing IMHO.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Reproduction. From a distribution point of view where the purchasers aren't interested in the very highest quality it's fantastic, and it has/will revolutionise music distribution.

The only problem is if people somehow get used to 'free' music. That will be a very, very, bad thing IMHO.

It's certainly true that the reproduction quaity isn't up to the highest analog or even straight digital standards, but it is pretty good for what it is, and helps to disseminate music with "acceptable" quality. I wouldn' say it's the death of music though.

But I do have to agree totally with the idea that people getting used to free music is bad. The same goes for "free photographs" available over the web, It has already become commonplace for people to just grab what they want and use it in any way they want without even thinking about the considerable creative effort and labor that might have gone into it's creation. That is, as you say, very, very bad.

This kind of thing scares me, too.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Photo tool could fix bad images

Are they saying that technology like this will allow people to simply use parts of anyone's photos (on Flickr, in this case) to fix their own?

Whoops ... new can of worms.

What is interesting is that Apple have recently introduced a higher level of quality for iTunes downloads. Now you can have "Metropolitan Line, Rickmansworth to Harrow" quality, or proper CD quality, for not much more money.

I am afraid that many young people have already been spoilt by Limewire, Aquisition, and other file sharing software. With their older brothers and Dads using BitTorrents to download hooky films, the cat is well and truly out of the bag.

I don't think MP3 is the death of music, but from the begining of recorded music about 100 years ago the continual emphasis was on improving the quality of reproduction. This sort of ground to a halt with CDs when we all sacrificed quality for convenience.

At the launch of CD a good vinyl system was better than CD from a sonic point of view. Where CD really scored was in making the _average_ system sound better than it did playing LPs, let alone cassettes. MP3s , even Apples high quality DRM-less selection, will and do sound worse than the CD equivalents - as for something like SACD MP3 can't hold a candle.

After saying that I recently bought a Musical Fidelity DAB tuner. Radio 3 broadcast at 192k and it actually sounds very good, maybe due to the expensive D-A converter inside, and I have an iPod.

Confused of Manchester.

Guest stnami

. as stated in the image "mice bums to all this............either hop on the bus or you can sit at the bus wingeing about what was and will be......... and then complaining that the bus didn't stop for you...............

If digital is the death of photography, Mac's "Garage Band" is the death of music....I love it...long live death!

Considering the loads of really scary-bad digital photo's posted everywhere (including here) I'd say that GOOD photography is just as hard as ever, but crappy photography is now ubiquitous!

Let's not forget that none of this means anything...so if it makes you happy it's GOOD!!

Yes it does beat silence.

Some of the newer bands and independent record companies are actually giving away the lower fidelity versions of their albums, sort of the way you might have a web gallery of personal images.

Here's the best example I've seen to date (and, BTW, one of the most interesting new bands too, if you like well-played power pop, Spoon):

Spoon :: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

Yes, that's the whole album, streamed by the record company. Doesn't take much to figure out how to download. Should be called "Austin Calling" IMO, though I like gagagagagaga ;)

So it's obviously not the death of music (and, as another latent audiophile--a lifetime ago--I have to say I hope MP3s don't kill SACD or other newer, high-resolution, digital technologies. I have to admit I have a soft spot for the SACDs I've heard so far, especially old analog classical and jazz recordings).

(PS--Imants--I don't suppose you're going to be *in* Toronto on the 25th?! I'm shooting a wedding that evening, so of course I'll miss the slideshow, but thanks for the link!)

Guest sirvine

MP3 = Death of the "Jackpot" Music Industry. Good riddance. Ever since Casablanca Records (i.e., the disco years), the music business has been churning out pure crap, and ripping you, me and artists off. The target clientele has been 12 year old girls ever since.

As for audio quality, you can cut your own vinyl if you like these days.

...the music business has been churning out pure crap, and ripping you, me and artists off. The target clientele has been 12 year old girls ever since...

That may be true of top 30 material, but there's a whole lot of music not under that heading.

For anyone with an interest in Classical or Jazz reissues on CD have proved invaluable.

I also ought to mention that almost everyone considers modern pop music crap as they get older. There's always a golden age which just happens to coincide with people's middle to late teens and early 20s <grin>. I can remember my mother telling me how my grandfather, who I never knew, used to dismiss Bing Crosby as not being a 'real' singer. It's part of getting old.

I can't understand how someone as intellegent as Putz, who is so famous for his scientific workflow of testing Leica equipment, can turn around and make such unscientific and opinionated remarks based on incorrect theology.

This self-proffessed "God" of photography and all that it is defines his creation as follows: "The fundamental issue here is the fact that the laws of physics create the image, in particular by the characteristics of light rays and the interaction between photons and silver halide grains." and tops it off with a statement that generally implies that photography is something that can't be altered. What kind of rubbish is that? Can someone explain to me even one kind of film-based photography that is not altered?

Erwin needs to do his homework. He can start by visiting and viewing Kodak's historical photography collection that includes the beautiful work of Harry Peach Robinson who states "It is the photographer's imperative duty to avoid the mean, the bare, the ugly, and to aim to elivate the subject, to avoid awkward forms, and to correct the unpicturesque". This was written next to a beautiful photograph that was the compilation of 5 different 8X10 negatives and printed in 1858.

Of course Robinson's statement was "his" opinion also. Throughout the gallery opinions of the world's greatest photographers were in every shape form and color. The point is, It's "all" photography and I thank the "real" God that I have my preferences where my photography is concerned, but that my preferences don't define photography and that I can still enjoy "looking at" the beauty resulting from the preferences of others.

For those of us who shoot and develop before the digital age.

There isn't a lot of us back then and even now.

Isn't it true that lab dependent photographers back then who can't develop their own for at least B&W are not considerd photographers...

Durring my HighSchool, they are not even allowed to compete. Perhaps segregated to their own cathegory.

Am I talking about photography "segregation years". :)

-Ron

Caveman's Gallery