Using a Hoodman on the S1-S1-R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of the reasons I really like the S1R is the fact it has a tilting rear screen. Years ago I bought a Hoodman Loupe when I was shooting a Canon body.

The Hoodman is intended to be and held over the rear screen, which was fixed in a vertical position at that time. This works OK if the camera is on a tripod. The loupe comes with a neck cord so it is easy to get to and simply drop when you are finished with it..

However, I never really used it although the idea was good. It was just a little awkward.

Now with the S1, it is another story. With the tilting screen the loupe sits there a lot better than before. However it is very simple to attach the loupe to the screen with a bit of fine elastic cord that goes under the screen when it is extended out. I also added a thin strip of plastic along the top edge of the loupe that extends down 1/8" and just hooks over the edge of the screen. I just taped it on with electricians tape. This really helps to line it up perfectly and keep it in place. All this was done in 10 minutes.

Now it works great. It is like the old 45 degree reflex finder available for the Hasselblad cameras that I loved. Although the viewfinder on the S!-R is great, the rear screen generates a larger image, The loupe allows you to see all the detail even in bright sunlight. With my quickly improvised attachment method, it is pretty secure, but if I was doing a lot of walking I would remove it so that it does not accidentally come off.

II just checked and the company Hoodman is still in business. Just google Hoodman Loupe. They also sell other attachment devices to hold the loupe to the camera's  fixed screen, but they look complicated, With the tilting screen the solution can be much simpler.

Now the S1-R is perfect in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What's the advantage of this technique? May I remind you that this camera has a viewfinder and it's a very good one  🙂  For the Sigma FP that comes without a viewfinder I probably see the need for such a solution. Are you filming or taking stills?

Ninety percent of the time I would use the camera's viewfinder because it is good. However, depending on what you are doing, the loupe gives you a little more information. If I was using a tripod and shooting interiors or some critical landscape then having a larger and clear image from the rear screen it helpful and much better than the viewfinder. The tilting screen on the S1-R is great to use, but detail is limited, especially in bright sunlight. I also like lower camera positions sometimes, and the tilt screen and loupe make this easier.

• Like 1