Summilux-R 80/1.4 vs Summicron-R 90/2 direct comparison with samples?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I prefer the APO 90 Summicron

It's too expensive, in any case........

31 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Summarex 85/1.5 for when I want a "bokeh master" .

I coudn't mount it on my Nikon..........

Posted (edited)

I have the 90AA - Lux 80 and the Apo Elmarit 100 with the Elpro.

Cron 90AA in duplicate for redundancy.

As matter of fact, I have the largest Leica R top lenses collection including the 3  Elcan. Some lenses are in duplicate and triplicate.

The Apo Telyt 280/4 in triplicate for the just in case.

No one lens is similar to the other and they each posses their unique rendering.

I have few Zeiss left such as the Biotar 58 VI and VII as well as the MG Trioplan 100 for their swirly bokeh and I probably still have the 100 and the 85. I sold the other Zeiss lenses as not unique enough for my taste.

Edited by Alon

25 minutes ago, AZN said:

Something not mentioned yet is that the 100-APO at f2.8 can give beautiful results, sharp without the baroque swirl & field curvature of the 80-Lux at f2.

Which is why I got both lenses.

100mm is too long as focal for the purposes which I have written in this thread; when I want a shoot with a sharp lens and I don't search for an artistic, dreamlike result, I use my Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 ZF.2 or Planar 85/1.4, very, very sharp and corrected lenses. For this reason they coexist with my new Leica lenses in my equipment.

As soon as this very bad period has passed, I will buy the Summilux-R 80 / 1.4. The best opinion is always the personal one, the rule is always the same, it is always valid. In this case the problem is the cost and availability of the lens and the possibility to try it (on Nikon, moreover, with the bayonet already changed!). If I didn't like it, I could still sell it, of course. I thank you all for your availability, for your help. You would be great if someone were able to insert two photos of the same subject with the same shot made one are the Summicron-R 90/2 and the other with the Summilux-R 80 / 1.4 at full aperture. I know it is difficult to have this possibility, but I renew my request and thank you again.

Correction

I do not have the Biotar 58 VI and VII but the Biotar 75/1.5 VI and VII.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:20 PM, Guest said:

It's too expensive, in any case........

I coudn't mount it on my Nikon..........

APO Summicron R 90mm is expensive and rare, probably reason why it is expensive.  It's M counterpart is easily found on second hand market and less expensive - with bit of shopping difference could be £/$1000 between R and M models which are optically identical.  When i started playing with R lens conversion to Nikon F the APO Summicron R 90mm eluded me, as a remedy I ended up expanding into M system.

Regarding mounting Leica lenses on Nikon F cameras, yes only R lenses can be mounted once "Leitaxed".  With Nikon Z mounting either R or M lens is non issue.

Few years back there was Erwin Puts published article comparing R-80, APO-R-90 and APO-R-100, all three lenses have overlaps but also complement each other in areas unique to each FL and F stop.  Is someone can tell me how to upload PDF file here i may be able to find it, i think it was commissioned by Leica as it looks like standard Leica Technical Data Sheet, copyright wise I may be allowed to share.

Mladen, 

You just use the choose files in red at the bottom of the comment window. The PDF file does not display but its filename shows and can be downloaded by anyone viewing the thread, by clicking on the file name. 

Wilson