Questions about the LFI magazine

Jodad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this isn't the correct sub to post this in but i wasn't sure where else to post it.

Can someone tell me what the LFI magazine is like? I can get a few years of back issues and wanted to know if it is mainly reviews about lenses and cameras or actual editorial on technique and photographers in focus and ideas etc? 

3 minutes ago, Jodad said:

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this isn't the correct sub to post this in but i wasn't sure where else to post it.

Can someone tell me what the LFI magazine is like? I can get a few years of back issues and wanted to know if it is mainly reviews about lenses and cameras or actual editorial on technique and photographers in focus and ideas etc? 

if you are near a leica store they usually have copies so you can have a look

• Thanks 1

Addressing your main question, there are new equipment reviews which vary according to the tempo of current releases. They are reasonably useful. There are also brief listings and mini-reviews of current exhibitions. Half or occasionally more of the journal is allocated to photo-essays of questionable value or interest. Far too many depressing and dark subjects for my liking. I made several suggestions to the editors, but little changed. I dropped my subscription after receiving one too many sombre stories.

There are plenty of authoritive product reviews elsewhere, often by practising photographers,  to help you with equipment choice. Best of all is this forum.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was subscribed to LFI from 2008 to 2011. At that time it was rather interesting: Technical reviews, Interviews, lessons of photography ( and pictures, of cause) ...In 2012 I cancelled my subscription for the same reasons as wda: Much to much of "portfolios", and a lot of them depressing. Every now and then ( once a year perhaps ) I buy a copy, and every time I`m disappointed. A few months ago, when I was in Hamburg, I visited their editor`s building ( near Chile-house, very picturesque quarter, worthwile a visit ),  I had the chance to speak with someone there. Very nice people - but that doesn`t help: the magazine is not what I`m looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was a reader of LFI for several years, but like WDA and Motard I cancelled my subscription. From 2012 onwards the editor of that magazine seemed to have considered it mandatory to include a lengthy article on one of the world’s social problems in each issue. In 2013 for example, we had coverage of social problems in Venezuela, Palestine, Mali, Hong Kong, Bali, Chicago, and Greece – 'politically correct' viewpoints illustrated by ugly and depressing images. In one of the last issues that I still have, more pages were allocated to an article on the anti-nuclear movement in Germany than for an article on the then-new M9-P.

Over the same time period, the quality of the magazine’s technical coverage deteriorated, and some of it read more like the work of the Leica company’s publicity department than objective journalism. In issue 7/2009 the M9 was described as “an outstanding camera and a beautiful evolution”, but by issue 3/2013 it was being described as “just a beefed-up M8”.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jodad said:

Neither of the above. It is mainly the photo portfolios which interest me somewhat because of the fact that I am a Board Director of the largest gallery of photography in my country. I would, however, regard the magazine as 'non essential'. It contains some so-called technical articles which I mainly do not read as I find articles about digital cameras to be extremely boring at the best of times, but the articles in LFI Magazine are badly written, probably poor translations from German. There are, very occasionally, articles about vintage cameras which I would find interesting but they rarely appear. The magazines produced by the LHSA and the UK Leica Society are generally much better, apart from the photo portfolios mentioned above.

William

LFI has some great photo essays, mainly by photojournalists using Leica equipment, but also some fashion etc., so a good mix. The print quality is very high, and there are opportunities for limited amateur contributions. On the downside the other half of the magazine is given over to deadly boring technical articles dealing with Leica equipment written in corporate speak.