Noctilux Demand

Guest Essemmlee

Guest Essemmlee

I did buy the lens recently after advice on this very forum. I have seen the results of the lens from the previous owner over a period of 5 years and they are great pictures. My own pictures taken with the lens are superb but that's not the reason for the sale. I find the lens heavy and uncomfortable as I have smallish paws.

As for taking a small profit, that's the luck of the draw. I have lost a lot more over the years than I have ever gained and I'm sure I'll lose more in the future.

Equally, I'm sure that I will reinvest the total value of the sale, plus more, in a WATE before they increase in price again.

None of this assists in the question of whether the Nocti is the dream ticket though. There are as many nay sayers as yea sayers. Might be a good one for a vote.

May I beg to differ?

I have said repeatedly on this forum that as far as the M8 is concerned the Noctilux is no longer the desirable lens it once was and as for being high quality – that requires a very particular view of what constitutes quality.

It is a 30+year old design whose inherent limitations have been ruthlessly exposed by the M8. The Noctilux’s advantages at the time of its launch, i.e. speed and very low flare, are now either unnecessary or have actually been surpassed.

I’ve sold mine and would caution anyone contemplating buying one for use on an M8 to think long and hard. It might just be what someone needs – but it will probably be a disappointment.

I'd have to agree with this, but perhaps a bit more mildly :)

The Noct is a unique lens to be sure. IF you are going to shoot it at f1.0 or f1.2, then nothing else can eally compare.

However, at f1.4 and every aperture above that, the Summilux Pre-Asph is a better lens. Moreover, the 75 Summilux at f1.4 and the same *subject magnification* has shallower DoF than the Noct at f1.0...

Couple the above with the fact you can essentially own BOTH the 50 and 75 Summilux for what a Noct will cost you, and IMHO the more logical choice is clear...

My humble .02 only,

Here's my ha'pennyworth: don't sell the Noctilux till you've spent more time on the learning curve. It doesn't matter a fig that it was designed with film in mind - it works extremely well with the M8. If you've got small paws, put your fingers on traction overnight. Here are a couple of my favourites, which I've posted more than once but I like 'em:

331282932_14dbf30d22_b.jpg

331724318_8747cd645e_b.jpg

Here's my ha'pennyworth: don't sell the Noctilux till you've spent more time on the learning curve. It doesn't matter a fig that it was designed with film in mind - it works extremely well with the M8. If you've got small paws, put your fingers on traction overnight. Here are a couple of my favourites, which I've posted more than once but I like 'em:

Hey Paul: Not really fair -- you could post images of those pretty young ladies on this forum taken through a Coke bottle bottom and 90% of the readers would claim it was an awesome lens!

:D,

For anyone with small fingers like me and mine are fairly damaged and arthritic as well, two mods have made all the difference to my Noctilux handling or like Steve, mine would also be on the market. On the back I have stuck a 3M 'Bumpon" and at the front I have a Leicagoodies STEER. The Bumpon makes it so easy to hold the camera in one hand with either the Nocti or the CV Nokton 35/1.2 and the STEER makes focusing a country mile easier on the Nocti.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I saw a photograph the other day while I was out in my car (and didn't take it), but as I was driving along I tried to think of how you'd make the shot, and it occurred to me that the only way to do it would be with a nocti at f1 so that you'd lose everything front and back and have only a thin slice of focus. I suppose you could do it with a lux, you'd just have a bit more stuff in focus that you didn't want. More than other lenses, the nocti requires an idea of the final shot, rather than just an impluse to shoot something that appeals to you...more than any other lens I can think of, the nocti is the anti-zoom, the anti-general-purpose shooter lens.

JC