Let's have a look at some DNG files from the S3

Chaemono

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

S3 Just arrived. I brought it to dinner (as you do with a new camera that you are still configuring), and snapped an ISO 800 (S70mm) shot of one of my daughter's birthday balloons on the ceiling.

So nice to have an S back in the house - I really love this system

• Like 7

OK - so I shot 86 captures over dinner. Terrible lighting. Battery hardly charged. Tensions running high. Worst possible context for testing a new camera. Categorically: This is the best camera I have used in 40 years. Every time I hit the 'right arrow' in Lightroom - you could be forgiven for thinking that I had Tourettes's syndrome. Have owned everything over the years (S2, 007, H3D50II, IQ180 etc. etc.). This is the absolute Zenith of SLR cameras.

A big 'thank you' and shout-out to Duncan@Foto Henny Hoogeveen. I have been bombarding him with expletives all night. The S3 is nuts. Sell everything - buy one.

• Haha 2

And the S007 wasn't too shabby:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Googaliser said:

OK - so I shot 86 captures over dinner. Terrible lighting. Battery hardly charged. Tensions running high. Worst possible context for testing a new camera. Categorically: This is the best camera I have used in 40 years. Every time I hit the 'right arrow' in Lightroom - you could be forgiven for thinking that I had Tourettes's syndrome. Have owned everything over the years (S2, 007, H3D50II, IQ180 etc. etc.). This is the absolute Zenith of SLR cameras.

A big 'thank you' and shout-out to Duncan@Foto Henny Hoogeveen. I have been bombarding him with expletives all night. The S3 is nuts. Sell everything - buy one.

What is it that makes the S3 even more 'nuts' than the previous S you have owned? The sensor size never changed, so the tonality should be the same, and I doubt the resolution jump is perceptible unless in very large prints. The handling and technology platform are the same as S007, so speed and operation should be unchanged too.

2 hours ago, Googaliser said:

And the S007 wasn't too shabby:

With what lens?

23 minutes ago, prismstorm said:

What is it that makes the S3 even more 'nuts' than the previous S you have owned? The sensor size never changed, so the tonality should be the same, and I doubt the resolution jump is perceptible unless in very large prints. The handling and technology platform are the same as S007, so speed and operation should be unchanged too.

With what lens?

The sensor technology has changed - I would attribute the different tonality to this. The difference is not subtle to my eye - but my tests so far have been limited and not scientific.

The Boscombe Pier shot was taken with a 70mm. An unplanned first day shot to test the 007 out.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sunset, Western Australia

S3, 30mm, Lee Filters

• Like 6

Handheld 1/250 f / 2.5, 120mm APO, as shot - no adjustments other than vertical crop

ISO 1600

• Like 1

30mm, Quick stylized shot - Lightroom only - files withstand a lot of abuse. 

• Like 5