pridbor

I forgot what Film is in my camera, how do you keep track?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/19/2020 at 9:15 PM, pridbor said:

new Dx sensor

If you look through the viewfinder at the moment you put your M7 on, you will see the ASA value coming up. I don’t use the dx-code btw because some new films don’t have a code and if I set it manual I can always see what’s in it. Same for M4, which even has a choice for slide, B&W and color

Edited by otto.f

On 3/23/2020 at 8:36 AM, oldwino said:

I only use one film.

What do you do once you reach the end of that film?

:D

When I had M2s they had a dial on the back door that you could set color/b&w and film speed, worked well. My M3 doesn't have that, right now I am using TMax 100 almost exclusively. But I keep my films to a minimum, I also used to use colored dots Green for ISO 400 b&w, blue for ektachrome, red for Kodachrome, yellow for slow b&w films, but that was on the plastic film containers in my bag, not on the camera, could go that way. 

dial on the back door, shove a bit of the film box where the flash or meter would go .... 

On 3/19/2020 at 4:48 PM, Ouroboros said:

I tear a bit off the box, enough to identify the film and push it into the hot shoe.

Yup, one of the first tricks I learned about my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/20/2020 at 6:45 AM, wattsy said:

I think the OP's camera is an M7 so the question of film speed shouldn't be a problem, unless the OP rolls his own and is in the habit of using different film types frequently.

mnutzer has the right answer – just partially rewind the film and have a look at it.

M7 has two modes. Read the code or set the ISO manually. Not sure what OP problem was. Forgot to dial in right ISO?

Then keep on shooting, read camera ISO, compare to film ISO. Push or pull.

And why rewind partially? 

Take a note how many frames are exposed. Rewind until it you feel it leaves take in. Open the thing, look at film. Get it back to camera. Keep lens cap on. Advance/release to couple of more frames it was on before rewind.

Surprisingly, someone is still making these: https://www.shapeways.com/product/F64JCWH2E/memo-holder-for-film-camera

The medium or small size may fit on a Leica-M back, beside the meter ISO dial.

(Warning - do not use these on M4-2/P cameras - they can rip the write-on plastic note circle right off the camera when removed!!)

When I used M4-2/Ps, I used to find the sticky 1.9 cm colored dots mentioned above, in office supply stores - and stick them in the center of those cameras' "write-on" reminder patches (same back location as meter ISO dials today).

https://www.staples.com/Avery-Round-3-4-Diameter-Print-and-Write-Color-Coding-Labels-Assorted-Colors-1-008-Pack-13958-5472/product_297705?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:297705&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=297705&KPID=297705&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwLzwzeDN6AIVR_7jBx1efwRLEAQYBCABEgKfjvD_BwE

Color-coded according to the manufacturers' own film box colors: green for Tri-X/HP-5, purple for Plus-X, brown or orange for Panatomic-X/Pan-F, red for Kodachrome, blue for Ektachrome (if needs be, light blue for ISO 64/100, navy blue for ISO 400), Kodak yellow for any color neg film (rarely used).

Once I moved to M6s, I just put the sticky-dots on either the top or bottom plate. Sometimes overlapping the bottom opening-key as a reminder "FILM IN CAMERA - DO NOT OPEN!"

If one believes in Das Wesentliche, one avoids the problem with the mantra "One camera, one lens, one film." ;)

Edited by adan

6 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

M7 has two modes. Read the code or set the ISO manually. Not sure what OP problem was. Forgot to dial in right ISO?

The ‘problem’ might also be that he has forgotten whether he has colour or black and white film in his camera!

On 3/20/2020 at 7:48 AM, Ouroboros said:

I tear a bit off the box, enough to identify the film and push it into the hot shoe.

That's what I do.