cl: sigma 70mm f2.8 macro art arrived

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thanks for this gteague. I've read a number of reports of the lens (in various mounts) being superb optically, but large. It's perhaps a few ounces heavier than the TL 55-135, which I never shoot under 1/200 and try for higher, of course. OTOH, it has at least another f/stop of light (the 55-135 varies). But, without stabilization in the lens or the camera body, a large macro is going to be a challenge handheld, I suppose. OTOH, the R 60, about 6 ounces lighter as a lens body, needs one or two adapters and, for 1:1 a tube. So, I suppose pretty much the same weight, when all is said and done. And the absolutely brilliant R 100 f/2.8 APO macro is around 50% heavier still, even without the Elpro adaptor to make it 1:1.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

Thanks so much for this, ramarren. Actually, I was asking for a comparison between the R 60 and the new Sigma 70, which is the title of the tread and approximately the same price. But that you feel the R is essentially equal in IQ to the APO TL is a real vote of confidence for the former. The Sigma 70 of course has autofocus (not essential to me; I prefer the manual focus of the R to the by-wire of the Sigma) but is much heavier. I have the adaptors for R mounts; wouldn't need any for the Sigma.... I go back and forth on this, but I see no reason to pay so very much more for the outstanding TL 60, which would cut mps by 60% if I ever used it on a FF; and if there is one place I want mps, it's in macro! Thanks again.

I had the R 60 a while back Ken, with the 1:1, and when I look back through my images can't understand really why I sold it, IQ was wonderful.  I bought the Sigma 70 as soon as it was available here because by then I had a FF L Mount camera, so to be able to use it on both, no adaptors necessary, autofocus which while not very snappy on the Sigma, if you have the limiter switch set correctly on the lens it's ok, (no help for true Macro shooting though).  If you want a thorough review and test of the Sigma this is spot on:

https://dustinabbott.net/2018/09/sigma-70mm-f-2-8-macro-art-review/

The lens in a different mount, but totally same experience and feeling in L mount version.  I am happy enough with the lens, and actually consider it an L Mount bargain. 

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boojay said:

I had the R 60 a while back Ken, with the 1:1, and when I look back through my images can't understand really why I sold it, IQ was wonderful.  I bought the Sigma 70 as soon as it was available here because by then I had a FF L Mount camera, so to be able to use it on both, no adaptors necessary, autofocus which while not very snappy on the Sigma, if you have the limiter switch set correctly on the lens it's ok, (no help for true Macro shooting though).  If you want a thorough review and test of the Sigma this is spot on:

https://dustinabbott.net/2018/09/sigma-70mm-f-2-8-macro-art-review/

The lens in a different mount, but totally same experience and feeling in L mount version.  I am happy enough with the lens, and actually consider it an L Mount bargain. 

Thanks so very much for this, Jayne: that was an exceptionally helpful review.

The appearance of the Sigma may have lowered the already extremely reasonable price of the R 60 even further on ebay. Both seem like an excellent bargain in terms of "Leica currency." My heart is with the R 60, but the Sigma seems so very sensible right now. I have been using an old Nikon mount Vivitar Series 1 macro, which is excellent, but massively heavy and quite cumbersome with the Novoflex adaptor, and the Sigma seems to resolve all the impediments. Thanks again!

• Like 2