How good is the 35 Summilux TL

I've had both the 18 and 23, but neither at the same time as the other, and neither at the time as the 35, which I have now. So my response is purely subjective.

The 35 is just a cracking standard (50mm equiv) lens for the CL. My feeling is that it is better than the 18 and probably better than the 23. It s difficult to be sure, though, since I shoot the 35 mostly at f1.4, and the different DoF inevitably colours your response. The bokeh on the 35 is as smooth and attractive as any Leica lens I've had - better, I think, than the Summilux-M 35 FLE (which I also have) - it's a later generation and, of course, it uses digital corrections, which probably helps.

• Like 3

I totally agree with Paul. Ever since I owe this lens, it stays on my CL most of the time. I use it for almost everything and I am always very pleased with the IQ and colors. I have several TL and Nikkor lenses, but 35 is by far my favorite.

We had several discussions about 35TL in the past. Maybe this thread would interest you:

• Like 4

Until I bought my first EVF Leica (SL, then CL) I shot entirely with primes (on M bodies). The SL and TL zooms were good, though, and so they tended to live on those cameras: the 24-90 on the SL, and then first the 18-56, and later the 11-23 on the CL. Like Louis, since getting the 35 it stays on my camera. Yes, I have to be a bit more agile in framing, but the benefits of re-learning how to get the right perspective are real; when it works the results with this lens are distinctive and satisfying!

• Like 1

"Better" is a relative term when discussing lenses.  For some shots, under some conditions, the TL-35 is outstanding.  For many shots, the 35 or the 23 are indistinguishable, and both give very pleasing results.  

Was it Mandler who said "it takes at least a year to evaluate a lens, anything less is a shortcut" (presumably in German, of course).

Edited by rob_w
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Louis said:

I totally agree with Paul. Ever since I owe this lens, it stays on my CL most of the time. I use it for almost everything and I am always very pleased with the IQ and colors. I have several TL and Nikkor lenses, but 35 is by far my favorite.

We had several discussions about 35TL in the past. Maybe this thread would interest you:

Thank you!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, rob_w said:

"Better" is a relative term when discussing lenses.  For some shots, under some conditions, the TL-35 is outstanding.  For many shots, the 35 or the 23 are indistinguishable, and both give very pleasing results.  

Was it Mandler who said "it takes at least a year to evaluate a lens, anything less is a shortcut" (presumably in German, of course).

So the 23 is as good as the 35? Thanks

7 hours ago, rob_w said:

Thank you

4 hours ago, stephengv said:

So the 23 is as good as the 35? Thanks

TL 35 is better for lots of reason

- creamy bokeh

- faster aperture 

- can keep aperture open at f/1.4 at minimum focusing distance. Instead of weird TL 23 behaviour to close down automatically until f/2.8 the closer you get to minimum distance. 

- better build quality : made in Germany instead of Japan. Come with a full metal hood instead of a half plastic one. 

- it is a 50mm equivalent, which I personally prefer over 35mm equivalent. 

By the way TL 23 real name should be Summicron-TL 23mm f/2.0-2.8 because of its variable aperture. 
It was design at a time where Leica took weird optical decision. At the same time they also designed Leica X typ 113 with a Summilux 23mm f/1.7 which should be renamed Summilux 23mm f/1.7-2.8 too. Same variable aperture at closest distance (start to close at 1m and below). Which is quite annoying. 

Last thing, price : CL + Summicron-TL 23 is quite close to Q2 price. In all fairness Q2 cropped at 35mm is way better than the TL 23mm : more resolution  (30MP) ; faster aperture ; sharp edge to edge at f/1.7 (instead of having to close aperture down to f/4) ; OIS ; bigger sensor size (1.25x instead of 1.5x crop)

However CL + TL 35mm is better than Q2 cropped at 50mm : more resolution (24MP vs 15MP) ; thinner depth of field ; faster aperture ; bigger sensor size (1.5x vs 1.8x) 

• Like 3

...and I prefer being able to change the lenses on the CL to any version of the Q. The 11-23 and 55-135 paired with the 35mm f1.4 is a fantastic setup. Throw in a 60mm f2.8 Macro, dedicated flash and radio TTL trigger and the setup is complete.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nicci78 said:

TL 35 is better for lots of reason

- creamy bokeh

- faster aperture 

- can keep aperture open at f/1.4 at minimum focusing distance. Instead of weird TL 23 behaviour to close down automatically until f/2.8 the closer you get to minimum distance. 

- better build quality : made in Germany instead of Japan. Come with a full metal hood instead of a half plastic one. 

- it is a 50mm equivalent, which I personally prefer over 35mm equivalent. 

By the way TL 23 real name should be Summicron-TL 23mm f/2.0-2.8 because of its variable aperture. 
It was design at a time where Leica took weird optical decision. At the same time they also designed Leica X typ 113 with a Summilux 23mm f/1.7 which should be renamed Summilux 23mm f/1.7-2.8 too. Same variable aperture at closest distance (start to close at 1m and below). Which is quite annoying. 

Last thing, price : CL + Summicron-TL 23 is quite close to Q2 price. In all fairness Q2 cropped at 35mm is way better than the TL 23mm : more resolution  (30MP) ; faster aperture ; sharp edge to edge at f/1.7 (instead of having to close aperture down to f/4) ; OIS ; bigger sensor size (1.25x instead of 1.5x crop)

However CL + TL 35mm is better than Q2 cropped at 50mm : more resolution (24MP vs 15MP) ; thinner depth of field ; faster aperture ; bigger sensor size (1.5x vs 1.8x) 

Thank you for a detail response. Appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, Gregm61 said:

...and I prefer being able to change the lenses on the CL to any version of the Q. The 11-23 and 55-135 paired with the 35mm f1.4 is a fantastic setup. Throw in a 60mm f2.8 Macro, dedicated flash and radio TTL trigger and the setup is complete.

Thank you for your opinion. 

Personally, I like the 50mm FOV so the 35TL on the CL is one of my favourites for the AF system (next is the 11-23) I have also used the 35mm TL on my Pana S1R, it's a fantastic lens, I also owned the 23mm TL but because of the close focus change in f-stop (for whatever reason) it left a sour taste in my mouth so I sold it, no regrets, the 23mm end of the 11-23 is good enough for my needs.

Bottom line - The 35mm TL Summilux is an awesome lens

I have never owned the 18mm pancake but the 11-23 covers that too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marac said:

Personally, I like the 50mm FOV so the 35TL on the CL is one of my favourites for the AF system (next is the 11-23) I have also used the 35mm TL on my Pana S1R, it's a fantastic lens, I also owned the 23mm TL but because of the close focus change in f-stop (for whatever reason) it left a sour taste in my mouth so I sold it, no regrets, the 23mm end of the 11-23 is good enough for my needs.

Bottom line - The 35mm TL Summilux is an awesome lens

I have never owned the 18mm pancake but the 11-23 covers that too.

Thank you. Is the aperture change of the 23 that annoying? 

2 hours ago, stephengv said:

Thank you. Is the aperture change of the 23 that annoying? 

I understand why they did it but for me, at the time, I had the 23mm range covered by 2 other lenses (11-23 / 18-56) I opted to sell it during my lens cull and I prefer the 35 on my CL and I actually prefer the Sigma 45mm on the S1R and the CL. Personal taste I think

36 minutes ago, geoffreyg said:

I rather like the 23. The aperture change is a so what for me, and it’s compact size and FOV are good. I just wish the 35 was smaller. 

Do you think the 23 is comparable to the 35 in terms of image quality? 

I don't know. The 35 looks superlative, people rave about it. The 23 is quite nice, I'm having a good time with it, but not sure its quite as magical as the 35. But its fine and maybe  a wee bit better than the 18-56, which is surprisingly quite good too.