How good is the 35 Summilux TL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, geoffreyg said:

I don't know. The 35 looks superlative, people rave about it. The 23 is quite nice, I'm having a good time with it, but not sure its quite as magical as the 35. But its fine and maybe  a wee bit better than the 18-56, which is surprisingly quite good too. 

Thank you!

4 hours ago, ruskkyle said:

I was in your boat @stephengv. These lenses are expensive enough to really make you think before buying!

I have both now but shot exclusively with the 23 for the first year. I think it’s a very good all-rounder for the CL, and it really comes to life in good light.

Thank you. Is there a huge difference between the 23 vs 18? and the 35 vs 23? 

I am very happy with both the 18mm and the 35mm TL lenses.

It's hard to give you a side by side comparison but this isn't bad because the conditions were similar.

First The Baie des Anges (Bay of Angels), Nice, France with the TL18

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And now, same place, different point of view, different day (sorry) with the TL35

The advantages of the TL18 are the field of view when in the narrow streets of the Vielle Ville (Old Town) and the small size. TL18 on the TL2 is about the same size as an X2.

The advantages of the TL35 are low light, shallow depth of field and portraits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, Just found a TL35 that's more like the top (18) image

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/20/2020 at 8:37 AM, Gregm61 said:

...and I prefer being able to change the lenses on the CL to any version of the Q. The 11-23 and 55-135 paired with the 35mm f1.4 is a fantastic setup. Throw in a 60mm f2.8 Macro, dedicated flash and radio TTL trigger and the setup is complete.

Couldn`t agree more, exactly my setup "...The 11-23 and 55-135 paired with the 35mm f1.4 ..."

Edited by balzani_shots
  • Like 1

Reading the old posts I was surprised that some were putting the 23 TL on par with the 35 TL. In terms of IQ the 35TL is sharper edge to edge than the 23. Something I’ve started to notice is that for portraiture I prefer the character of the Sigma 30 1.4 to that of the 35 TL. 

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have to say that after a few weeks with the TL-35, apart from the sharpness the chromatic aberration and fringing are downright embarrassing... I mean, it's extreme enough (even with Adobe software correction) that if I didn't buy the silver TL2 for the design, I'd have returned it, got a Sony instead and never looked at a Leica ever again...