The Leica Forum In Times Of Corona

LUF Admin

We are all in it TOGETHER for the LONG HAUL....

There will be inexorable ups and downs along a serpiginous road but.... we will eventually muddle through....

Good news today... China has no new cases.... Bad news... China will ineluctably have a second round that should be less deadly...

Albert

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Thank you Andreas! This forum is an important social resource for many of us. Even more so now.

16 minutes ago, luigi bertolotti said:

OK in this mood, Andreas !! 

Idea for new threads ? : well, Leica has always been linked to "street photography" ... one of the subs in the photoforum.. : someone could invent the "home photography", in these days... 🙄

Andreas - Thank you for providing such a valuable link to other Leica photographers - I'm sure that this link will be invaluable in the coming weeks to many 

Luigi - What a great idea - we should start the photo thread at once !!

Thanks to the Mod's for all their work making the forum what it is

Stay safe everyone and Best Wishes

Robert

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Make it all a relaxed time out.   Fiddle with your gear, develop those old rolls of film, use your 135 and telyte lenses.   Binge watch old Marx Brothers movies.  Wax your car, do yard work,  play with your cat, read read read.         There’s “being aware”, and there’s “being scared shitless”.  Hang somewhere in the middle and do what the Government wants.   Don’t sell your stocks.  The bottom isn’t even close and after this is all over the bull market will return.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The window sills need painting. The deck needs staining. Windows need to be washed. The driveway needs power washing. Lots of stuff to do.

If your not aware of the wonderful leather craftsman, Luigi; check out his site and pick our what strap/case you would like for your Leica. Got a great strap from him last year.

https://www.luigicases.com/

He's in Rome, so it might be some time to get it, but I'm sure he could use the business.

• Like 1

Today is day three of the "Shelter at Home" lockdown in my area. I wrote my thoughts in a FaceBook post earlier today, if you want to read them: 

This forum is valuable and important to me, as are the several others I participate in. During this crisis and our forced isolation, for sake of together beating this plague, they will help us stay together if we use them with sense and good will. 

Thank you to Andreas for your thoughts and intent, and thank you to all the moderators for their efforts to keep the forum sane and positive.. I'm with you all. 

Stay safe, stay healthy, stay positive. 🙂 

G

• Like 3

Thank  you Andreas and everyone.

Down here in South Africa the virus is just starting to hit, 150 confirmed cases by this evening with no fatalities so far. The virus was initially "imported" by returning SA travellers who've been visiting mainly Europe & USA and also by tourists visiting South Africa.

SA Govt. has acted quickly and decisively to try and contain things, instituting a travel ban from China, USA, UK, EU, and other countries, as well as closing restaurants, bars, nightclubs and limiting all gatherings.

With about 25% - 30% of our population having compromised immune systems due to HIV and TB, the major fear here is that as we approach S. Hemisphere winter and this virus spreads into those sections of the population it will wreak havoc. 

Everyone here seems to be towing the line. There are always exceptions, a few imbeciles carrying on as if nothing's wrong. There may be a cure for the virus but there will never be a cure for stupidity.

Be safe and healthy!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing in Life we cannot conquer, sadly, some of us will succumb, others will loose friends and family members, Prayer is important as is being alert to all & everything around us.. So we manage with a little less stuff in the cupboards (for those of us alive during WWll this is no hardship) - making do without the finer dining items on the table is OK.. Staying indoors is the bugbear, but, once again, we have so much electronic gear we are Not really alone. So, lets smile, say our Prayers and play with our expensive toys & remember nothing is forever even the C'Virus.. Shalom..   L

• Like 1

Well thought and well said, Andreas. Before everything else, I would like to thank you for putting this wonderful site at our disposals.

Now that we are all - in every corner of the world - going through the same difficult time or are self-quarantined, this site becomes even more appreciated. We all share the same love for photography and have been in touch with each other for years! Now, more than ever, this connection and communication between us become important And appreciated.

Because we have to spend most of our time inside, we don’t have the opportunity of shooting outdoors. We have to satisfy our need and desire of shooting with whatever we have at our disposal. Therefore, I suggest a thread for Still Life photography. Still Life is a very important part of art and this is something that has been missing in this site. I believe this is the right time to start it now.

Best regards and best wishes to everyone.

Stay safe,

Louis

PS: I also wish to thank moderators Stuart and Jaap for always being so helpful.

Edited by Louis
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Louis said:

Well thought and well said, Andreas. Before everything else, I would like to thank you for putting this wonderful site at our disposals.

Now that we are all - in every corner of the world - going through the same difficult time or are self-quarantined, this site becomes even more appreciated. We all share the same love for photography and have been in touch with each other for years! Now, more than ever, this connection and communication between us become important And appreciated.

Because we have to spend most of our time inside, we don’t have the opportunity of shooting outdoors. We have to satisfy our need and desire of shooting with whatever we have at our disposal. Therefore, I suggest a thread for Still Life photography. Still Life is a very important part of art and this is something that has been missing in this site. I believe this is the right time to start it now.

Best regards and best wishes to everyone.

Stay safe,

Louis

PS: I also wish to thank moderators Stuart and Jaap for always being so helpful.

Still life... good idea,... 😎

• Like 1