cl: dxo photolab--don't get excited

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Phocus app was a royal PITA when I was shooting with a blad but I'm not a fan of apps really. Would be good to hear what you think of RAW POWER when you have had a play with it.

I find myself using it more & more

The original OP likes DxO and wants to use it, regardless of what others say. I'm sorry for him. I'm sorry for me. I used to really like it when I primarily used a Q. Has the best noise reduction in the business. 

I've written a bunch of increasingly flaming emails about CL support which they have progressively ignored. I do use CR/PS and Imagonomic for extra noise reduction. But I miss DxO.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 9:18 AM, JayBird said:

I too was disappointed by DXO not supporting the CL. What was even more disappointing was they do not support all of the APS-C lenses for the TL. Nothing like a half hearted effort.. I also looked at ON1 but they dont support the CL either. In the end, I renewed my light room subscription. I may have to try darktable.

I use ON1 to process my CL raw files, and the results are outstanding. None of the TL lenses have specific correction profiles, so I made my own. My entire raw workflow is done in ON1 with the exception of printing, HDR and heavy duty noise reduction. For those tasks, I use ImagePrint, Aurora and Neat Image respectively. 

Coming from LR, DXO PhotoLab is now my number one tool for developing RAWs.
Unfortunately they don't support my M246!
Acutally I'm thinking about bying the nice, small CL; sad to hear, that it isn't supported too ... :(

I'm using ON1 for my M246, but for me it is absolutely no alternative for DXO.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:01 AM, cp995 said:

Coming from LR, DXO PhotoLab is now my number one tool for developing RAWs.
Unfortunately they don't support my M246!
Acutally I'm thinking about bying the nice, small CL; sad to hear, that it isn't supported too ... :(

I'm using ON1 for my M246, but for me it is absolutely no alternative for DXO.

I wonder why you feel that way. I use ON1 Photo Raw 2020.1 both for my Q2 and my CL DNG files. It is much easier to use than DxO, and the output is at least as good, at least in my hands. The only features (that matter to me) where DxO has an edge are noise reduction and lens corrections. At the same time, ON1 is the clear winner in terms of numerous other powerful editing tools and raw stage layers. Each to his own, I suppose. 

vor 21 Stunden schrieb robgo2:

I wonder why you feel that way. I use ON1 Photo Raw 2020.1 both for my Q2 and my CL DNG files. It is much easier to use than DxO, and the output is at least as good, at least in my hands. The only features (that matter to me) where DxO has an edge are noise reduction and lens corrections. At the same time, ON1 is the clear winner in terms of numerous other powerful editing tools and raw stage layers. Each to his own, I suppose. 

I prefer DXO due to it outstanding noise reduction and the (automatic) perspecitve correction (view point), which is absolutely outstanding!
Dust removal is better with DXO too!
All the other basic features can be done with both apps, sometimes a bit different, but o.k.
The only thing I'm missing in DXO is DNG support for my M246 and my future CL, and maybe a history function as ON1 owns.
If DXO adds support for my Leica bodies, I will throw away ON1 in  a second...

Edited by cp995
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cp995 said:

I prefer DXO due to it outstanding noise reduction and the (automatic) perspecitve correction (view point), which is absolutely outstanding!
All the other basic features can be done with both apps, sometimes a bit different, but o.k.
The only thing I'm missing in DXO is DNG support for my M246 and my future CL, and maybe a history function as ON1 owns.

ON1 Photo Raw is a complete editing package that can replace Photoshop for almost everything short of highly sophisticated retouching tasks. DxO, for all its strengths, is nothing like that. But if you prefer it for the features you mentioned above, then I certainly hope they will someday support your Leica cameras  

Edited by robgo2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cp995 said:

Topaz Denoise AI for instance is far superior to any postprocessing program denoising.

https://topazlabs.com/

16 hours ago, jaapv said:

Topaz Denoise AI for instance is far superior to any postprocessing program denoising.

https://topazlabs.com/

I agree with this, but having performed my own testing with high noise level files, I prefer Neat Image over Topaz DN-AI.  It is much faster, allows more user control and produces fewer artifacts. But both programs are above DxO Prime, which is class-leading for raw stage noise reduction.

https://ni.neatvideo.com

Edited by robgo2

Until the CL hits ISO 6400 and even at that setting, I see little reason to use luminance noise reduction of any king and leave all of those sliders in Adobe camera raw set to their default. It's just not an issue.

I enjoyed using DXO with my Olympus outfit because the distortion correction was better than the "baked-in" corrections Olympus provided in their ORF files and the film pack addition gave some really nice black & white film emulations, but I just don't miss it processing CL raw files.

The UI of DXO has improved greatly over the recent versions since the name change to Photo Lab, especially compared to back when DXO was in it's versions 9 and 10, but the running cost of keeping the latest version of DXO Elite is not all that different to just paying the ongoing Adobe subscription cost, DXO today is like what Adobe used to be when you were buying updates every 18 months or so to stay current.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 1