gteague

cl: blast from the past

Advertisement (gone after registration)

ever since i got my cl a couple weeks ago the weather hasn't been cooperating and indeed we have severe thunderstorms this evening and tornado watches tomorrow. but today i mounted my 1950s nikkor nippon kobagu 105/2.5 onto the cl using a haoge adapter to judge the lens quality and to see if i could manually focus it with my bad eyesight.

the first shots took me several minutes to focus. it's very awkward to have to remove your eye to hit the up arrow to get magnification and then the peaking was spotty as well. those old lenses have much longer focus throws (how far you have to turn the ring) than most modern lenses, which didn't help matters. also, the first ones were inside and i had to use a shutter speed of about 150-250 because of no ibis and the 105 is the equivalent of about a 150mm.

so i stepped outside and set things at 1/250th and f5.6 and also discovered the my peaking setting was /low/ and when i changed it to /high/ the peaking got downright perky and appeared very quickly with a more positive verification. the wind was blowing me around a little, so these might not be optimum results. the iso was 640 for these. sooc, no edits using a maxed out /vivid/ style.

the conclusion is that under certain conditions i can indeed use this old lens on the cl and it will provide me a nice telephoto focal length to complement my 23/2. i don't do hardly any portraits anymore, but i think it would show that it was one of the best portrait lenses for decades. it needs to be stopped down a little for better sharpness though.

Yes, many of us do use manual lenses on the CL with good results. Using the original Leica M adapter as basis of your adapters will make the use far easier, as the focus magnification will be transferred to one of the control wheels.

I find my right thumb is right next to the up arrows when holding the CL, I don't have to take the camera from my eye to use it. With a standard mid focal length lens say 25 - 90 focus peaking also works fine, I have changed the color from red to white, was a little problem with snow, but not bad, I just react to the white faster than red. 

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I find my right thumb is right next to the up arrows when holding the CL, I don't have to take the camera from my eye to use it. With a standard mid focal length lens say 25 - 90 focus peaking also works fine, I have changed the color from red to white, was a little problem with snow, but not bad, I just react to the white faster than red. 

if i could use my right eye, i'm sure that might be the case. :)

and yes, peaking is as good as on my s1 now that i've changed the setting from /low/ to /high/. i prefer yellow or green to the 'blizzard' effect with white and with the gh5 and s1, white is used to indicate overexposure of the highlights although that feature distracts me too much and i leave it off.

/guy

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

Yes, many of us do use manual lenses on the CL with good results. Using the original Leica M adapter as basis of your adapters will make the use far easier, as the focus magnification will be transferred to one of the control wheels.

if i had /m/ lenses it would be a no-brainer. but the price of that adaptor just for one or two lenses is a stumbling block. i keep waiting to spot a used one, but so far no luck. /guy

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, gteague said:

if i had /m/ lenses it would be a no-brainer. but the price of that adaptor just for one or two lenses is a stumbling block. i keep waiting to spot a used one, but so far no luck. /guy

The M Adapter L is always on my CL body. When I want to use a Leica R, Nikon or Olympus, or Pentax, or other mount lens, I fit an adapter from that mount to Leica M mount on the front of it. These are usually cheaper than the whatever-mount to L mount adapters on the market.

For Leica R mount, I use the R Adapter M and get the advantage of the Leica lens profiles as well.  

Since I own no SL or TL series lenses and most of what I use are M and R mount lenses, these two adapters' premium price is of negligible importance, particularly since they also offer feature benefits over the third party adapters, the good ones of which are not particularly inexpensive either. 

This photo was made with the CL using a Rayqual Nikon F to Leica M mount adapter stacked onto the M Adapter L, holding a Nikon F mount Sigma 600mm f/8 lens (truly cheap and nasty, but worked correctly it can make some nice photos...): 

Focusing such a long mirror lens is a bit excruciating due to the paper thin focus plane and the fact that every tiny touch of the lens causes a huge amount of jitter. 

G

Edited by ramarren

Advertisement (gone after registration)

that makes perfect sense, of course. i've sold off all but one canon ef pancake lens and you guys told me that the mc21 adapter doesn't work on the cl anyway. i have a half-dozen nikon lenses, but only one or two i'd ever use. i have many m43 lenses, but they won't work anyway.

i've just ordered the sigma 70mm f2.8 macro art lens and that will add to my one tl lens (35 equiv) and two l-mount lenses 16-35/4 and 70-200/4. considering that the 16-35 and 70-200 would give me a range of 24-300 equiv for the cl, the only hole is 20mm and below (equiv) and that range makes the most sense for the cl using manual focus and the lack of need for stabilization. so i'm still keeping an eye open for an ultra-wide and if i can get one for a good enough price, it might make sense to just factor in the cost of the adaptor.

/guy