Replaced shutter ID' s ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, all.

I'm the new owner of a Leica M8.

The seller, talked to me that he have sent the camera some years ago to Leica ( US) to repair the shutter ( replace?).

I would like to know how many shutter's versions exists for the M8.

I know just 2 ( may be I'm wrong): the original ones, and the ones used on the M8.2 reaching 4000.

It seems that the last ones, lasts longer that the first ones.

Is there a 3d one n the middle? better that the original ones?, but keeping the 1/8000 ?

Mine has the 1/8000

The actuations shown by the camera, are starting with the replaced shutter at "0" ?

Thanks for your opinions, and enlightment.

Fabian

Basically there are two shutter types, the M8 - 1/8000th and the M8-2 1/4000th.  Basically the shutters are mechanically identical with different running speeds and possibly a different curtain gap. Different sync speeds.The change was made to make the camera more silent. Both camera types had early shutter failure, not too many, fortunately, but there was an Internet wave of "broken shutter" reports at the time. It died out after a few months. Shutters of both types were involved, so it is really impossible  to tell if the shutter type was the real cause. I had the impression that the M8.2 shutter was more involved, others the M8 one.
At any rate there are few if any reports nowadays. I suspect that there was a QC control problem at Copal at the time.

Shutters hardly ever wear out. Expect 150.000 actuations There have been reports of cameras functioning flawlessly after more than 300.000 actuations. If a shutter breaks it is incidental mechanical failure, not wear. A replaced shutter is as reliable as an original one.

In general, there are often minor unpublicized changes to camera components over the production time of a specific camera type. Normally this has no impact on the product quality, as those are mostly because of changes in the supply chain or production process.

• Like 1

It restarts. As explained above, it is a rather irrelevant number. The shutter does not wear significantly, mechanical failure can happen unpredictably Think of a grain of sand between the shutter blades or a mass product having an incidental failure.

The general condition of the camera is far more important. Look for one that has obviously been well cared for. Heavy wear, dents and abnormal scratching or scuffing are the things to avoid (or  pay far less for ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I would also suggest the following, my shutter on my M8 was replaced long ago, but when I was speaking with technician in Leica NJ they recommended to try not to shoot at 1/8000, as it increases chances of shutter failing, so if you have fast lenses get some ND filters. 

3 hours ago, jev said:

... but when I was speaking with technician in Leica NJ they recommended to try not to shoot at 1/8000, as it increases chances of shutter failing, so if you have fast lenses get some ND filters.

Hmm, I'm dubious about this.  It's like buying a sports bike and the mechanic telling you not to ride in top gear in case the wheels fall off.  

If Leica was concerned that the M8's 1/8,000th of a second speed produces a high risk of shutter damage then they never would have sold the M8 with 1/8,000th owing to the risk of expensive, large-scale warranty repairs.  

The R8 and R9 had 1/8,000th and owners were not advised to stay away from 1/8,000th and there were no memorable reports of shutter failures.

I'm happy to be corrected but I had understood that the shutters travel at the same speed whether it's 1/8,000th, 1/4,000th, 1/250th, or 1/125th etc because the actual 'shutter speed' is achieved by varying the gap between the shutters while they're travelling.  If I'm correct then shooting at 1/8,000th would present no more risk of damage than shooting at slower shutter speeds.

I've shot frequently at 1/8000th with my M8 without a problem.

Pete.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, farnz said:

If Leica was concerned that the M8's 1/8,000th of a second speed produces a high risk of shutter damage then they never would have sold the M8 with 1/8,000th owing to the risk of expensive, large-scale warranty repairs.  

Pete.

There must be a reason that all digital M's after the M8 only have 1/4,000th speed shutters? 

My M8 shutter failed completely about 2 years after purchase (less than 6,000 shots) and was replaced with the M8.2 shutter.  I also don't think I used 1/8,000th on more than a dozen times in those 2 years.

John W.

Look I did not say it will fail or that I know it for sure. I heard recommendation and after my shutter was replaced on M8 it will works until now and I do avoid shooting at 1/8000. At the same time I had M9 which had more then 150K shutter count and it still works passed 250K with the new owner I sold it to.  So what I can tell you is that at least with M9 shutter can work without replacement for 250K+ actuations, based on personal experience 

But the fact that they did not do 1/8000 on M9, tells me that there was some problem with M8 shutter, otherwise it would be very useful for Noctilux, etc.

Edited by jev

• 2 years later...

Good morning everyone,

A few days ago I bought a fantastic M8 with about 5000 shots.

I ask if anyone knows, in case the shutter breaks, if at present Leica still replaces the shutter of the Leica M8 and if so at what price.

Thanks for any contribution to my question

5 minutes ago, antonio-p said:

Good morning everyone,

A few days ago I bought a fantastic M8 with about 5000 shots.

I ask if anyone knows, in case the shutter breaks, if at present Leica still replaces the shutter of the Leica M8 and if so at what price.

Thanks for any contribution to my question

Already answered here.

• 2 weeks later...