How many Spared batteries?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

BP-SCL2 is only available from Leica. It raised the concern of long term availability.

For now,  2~3 are enough for normal use, but considering to use M240 for, say, 10 or more years, how many spared batteries would you keep?

The same question can be applied to other Leica cameras, such as SL.

I have two and don't plan to buy anymore for now.  Not a bad idea to buy a couple of more but I'm not sure how long I'll keep my 240.  I know at least five more years or so.  Much after that time the extra batteries will not bring much in an estate sale.  🙂

• Like 2

The two batteries I have with my M262 were bought with the brand-new camera in Feb, 2016.

Importantly, they still charge to 100% capacity and one charge lasts forever. I can shoot for 3-4 weeks on two batteries before I need to think about charging the first one I went through.

If I am still using my M262 two years from now, I'll probably consider buying 1-2 more to layer in as by 6-7 years the original batteries will probably start being on the downhill side of life.

On 3/16/2020 at 11:49 PM, Einst_Stein said:

BP-SCL2 is only available from Leica. It raised the concern of long term availability.

For now,  2~3 are enough for normal use, but considering to use M240 for, say, 10 or more years, how many spared batteries would you keep?

The same question can be applied to other Leica cameras, such as SL.

Now that the M240 family is not for sale new anymore, I have as many batteries as I need, for now, five strong ones.

Never had to recycle one of them, they are longer lasting than my M8/M9 batteries some needing to be replaced after 6-8 years of use.

I'd see when in some years (five -seven) if I can replace them in the event if I always use the M240 family by then.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:03 AM, jaeger said:

when there is a market, China will make some.  🤣

Not necessary, unless you mean mass market. For example, the third party adapter for Leica M or L is far less than for Sony or Canon, if you can even find it. I once wanted a T/S adapter for Leica M or L. I  found many T/S adapters for Fujifilm medium format or Sony or Canon,  but not for Leica yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4, maybe more than I need.  However, if I find a brand new one online for a good price, I'll buy it.

I love the 240, have made giant crisp prints from it (with some help from PS) & will wait (probably 3 - 4 years) for M10R's to be reasonably priced.  At that point my 240 will be about 10 yrs old & will be demoted to back-up.

I'm still kicking myself in the butt for selling the M9 - should have held on to it but it did inspire a friend to really up his work... good came out of it

I also haven't find a real reason to switch from M240 to new M's. Some people complained the thicker body of M240 compared to M10. To me that's BS. Color rendering? between Leica M's? BS too. 

The new technology may offer more pixel, higher ISO, or IBIS. I don't think there is much room for more pixel given the M mount specs. I also rarely need ISO over 1600, may be for scientific study? IBIS could be useful, but that is served with L mount already. Hey, when IBIS is important, so would be AF. What else can make M better? 

I don't get why Leica has to change the battery between M models! 

I have two, 

I bought the camera secondhand and the battery it came with is a bit woeful compared to what I'd been lead to believe online about the 240 battery life (it manages about 350 shots)

So I took a chance on a secondhand battery from ebay (for £25!) and that one gives about 7-800 shots

On the one hand I think the first battery must be nearing the end of its life and perhaps I should invest in a new one, on the other hand I have enough batteries for over a 1000 shots and I can't imagine ever needing more... I've never even run the 350 one down in a single day!

• 1 month later...

Some web posters said typically a battery can survive 300-500 cycles. Tis may be too conservative, but maybe the only thing I should rely on.

Assuming each charge cycle can shoot 350-400 shots (advertised by Leica). The best scenario under the assumptions is 10K~20K shots per battery.

With SL or M240, it is about filling  256GB ~ 512GB flash memory.  (300~500 recharge-cycles) * (350~400 shots per recharge cycle) * 32MB per shot ~=320GB~640GB.

Or, using the old film calculator for reference, it's about 3K~5K rolls (36 exp).

This is alarming. From now on I will give more thoughts before pushing the shutter button, even digital film is free! 

Edited by Einst_Stein

16 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Assuming each charge cycle can shoot 350-400 shots (advertised by Leica).

I'd think it would make more sense to rely on your actual battery use.  If you have an M240 and make frequent use of live view or the external EVF you may get much less than 350-400 shots.  If you never use live view, have automatic review off, and rarely hit the play button (or own an M 262) than 350-400 shots may be half of what you actually get.

I'm still using the battery that came with my M 262.   I do not have a second battery, yet.   At some time I will.   For MY use case -- yours may well be different -- a fully charged battery will shoot 5-10 time more pictures than I take on a day where I use the M 262 a lot.