Sign in to follow this  
Tony C.

How sharp is the 75mm Summicron?

However, the Lux has a smoother transition into its oof areas as can be seen by looking at the bottom edge of the spine on the book -- slightly jagged double-image look with the Cron, smoother oof look with the Lux.

That's right. I also have the Lux. Impressive lens. It is a close cousin of the Summilux 50mm pre-ASPH, the Summicron 90mm pre-ASPH or the Noctilux 50mm, but stopping down the Summilux 75mm is even better than any of those last Mandler's lenses, I guess. The new APO Summicron 75mm is technically better, more complex and better corrected, but the level achieved by the Lux was so high that the differences between the Lux and Cron are visible at wider apertures but not determinant. The last Mandler's designs (70s) were really, really good.

R.

The last Mandler's designs (80s) were really, really good.

They certainly were!

I also have the latest 50 Pre-Lux and the 90 Pre-Cron and *love* the way they paint too... Mandler also designed my other favorites, the 21 Pre-Elmarit, 35 Pre-Lux and possibly my 28 ver 4 Elmarit, which all paint beautifully too.

Ha, Jack, you and I should get together sometime and play with each others lenses. Our collections cover the same range, but with no overlap!

Btw, do you have a web gallery somewhere?

Ha, Jack, you and I should get together sometime and play with each others lenses. Our collections cover the same range, but with no overlap!

Btw, do you have a web gallery somewhere?

You should join us in Yosemite -- we'll have lots of M glass there to compare

I'm not a big web guy, but I do have a few M8 images up on this gallery -- but keep in mind I've only had the camera a few weeks and am still acquainting myself with it and the glass.

These were all done with the M8 this past Saturday using only my 28 Pre-Elmarit and 50 Pre-Lux: Jack Flesher Gallery :: Sutro Baths

These were from a week ago, all with the 35 Pre-Lux: Jack Flesher Gallery :: Santa Cruz Boardwalk (all images M8 + 35mm Pre-Asph Lux)

The main page has a few other portfolios from other cameras and other locations, mostly Canon DSLR...

Cheers,

I am not sure about the bokeh's gradient because the distance to the book seems to be different with the Lux and the Cron.

Yes Ruben, that's what I would like to raise as well.

They certainly were! I also have the latest 50 Pre-Lux and the 90 Pre-Cron and *love* the way they paint too... Mandler also designed my other favorites, the 21 Pre-Elmarit, 35 Pre-Lux and possibly my 28 ver 4 Elmarit, which all paint beautifully too.

Jack

I don't have the latest 50 lux aspheric so I cannot do any comparisons. However I can say without fear of contradiction that the last 50 Lux non-asphere is one of the most wonderful drawing lenses I have ever owned and I feel no sense of need to go newer! Doesn't mean there are no advantages to the newest technology, just that if I didn't know it existed I would not be motivated to be looking for something to replace the non asph which I think is a wonderful drawing machine. So be it.

If we were all really rich we could have the best of all worlds and tailor our shots to the best available lens technology. However I feel we are looking to count the number of angels on the head of a pin and we really can pick one lens which suits 99% of our needs. For me this is the 75 Lux over the 75 cron and the 35 Lux over the 35 Cron. I reserve judgement on the 50 Lux asph vs the 50 lux non-asph until I do more work. At the moment I have too many mint condition lenses because I haven't pulled the trigger on which to keep. But I will soon and there will be lots of great glass for others to purchase and use.

YMMV

Woody Spedden

Jack

I don't have the latest 50 lux aspheric so I cannot do any comparisons. However I can say without fear of contradiction that the last 50 Lux non-asphere is one of the most wonderful drawing lenses I have ever owned and I feel no sense of need to go newer! SNIP

Woody -- just to clarify in case I was misunderstood, that IS the same lens I have and is the Mandler design we are referring to, so I agree! To clarify, my 50 is the last PRE-asph Lux with the built-in hood. The newer Apsh version is a Kolsch design I think.

Cheers,

You should join us in Yosemite -- we'll have lots of M glass there to compare

I would LOVE to come with you guys, but being in Berlin it is simply too far away and too expensive, right now. If you ever do a course in France or Germany, let me know

I might even be able make New York.

I should get a little time to look at your galleries this evening. I look forward to it!

Jack, I just took a look at your Sutro shots, and like them a lot. I especially like infinity and fade to black. However, there is something missing, microcontrast or sharpness. Is that due to the JPG compression?

Hi Tony

Aroused by your thread, I'm also curious to a make comparison between the 75 Lux and Cron. Knowing this topic has been discussed to death and members frequent here surely got the idea in their minds. Having said that, I would really like to see it. One of my friend just lend his Lux to me, so it make this comparison possible.

Both are great glasses. I used to think the Cron with all its superb credential, still cannot rival its Lux brother in the area of portrait. I was just stunned again by the image it draws. This time, an old man at backlight. We may have different preference for younger subject.

First Lux @1.4, then Cron @2.0, both from C1, no PP.

mmm...Guess we have a front focus problem here with the Lux!....

The cron seems to be perfectly focused on the eye... the lux focus point is quite nearer...

cheers

Maurizio

MAURIZIO BEUCCI.com - Official web site

I would LOVE to come with you guys, but being in Berlin it is simply too far away and too expensive, right now. If you ever do a course in France or Germany, let me know I might even be able make New York.

I should get a little time to look at your galleries this evening. I look forward to it!

Check out LTU out of Dusseldorf to Las Vegas -- should be around $600 round trip

Las Vegas to San Jose is $79 each way. Still maybe too much, but worth mentioning...

Guy and I have discussed a "gourmet" photo workshop in the South of France (mainly Provence). Lots of street oppportunity, bullfights, wild horses on the Cremargue and nudes in the quarries of Les Beaux. All followed by some gourmet dining. Maybe after the dollar gains some strength!

Cheers,

Jack, I just took a look at your Sutro shots, and like them a lot. I especially like infinity and fade to black. However, there is something missing, microcontrast or sharpness. Is that due to the JPG compression?

It's mostly microcontrast (and some sharpness) lost on the size reduction combined with the very flat fog-light -- I processed those quickly in the field on my laptop and need to re-work them on my bigger system.

Guy and I have discussed a "gourmet" photo workshop in the South of France (mainly Provence). Lots of street oppportunity, bullfights, wild horses on the Cremargue and nudes in the quarries of Les Beaux. All followed by some gourmet dining. Maybe after the dollar gains some strength!

Even with the $600 flight, I will have to pass this time. My 30% Noctilux is arriving around then, so Kraft Dinner is called for!

If you do France, sign me up right now!

Jack, a workshop in the south of France? What a great idea, I'll certainly join you if at all possible.

Santé!

If there's enough interest, we could have this one fully arranged, including rooms, transportation and restaurants in time for a spring shoot

It would be a 10-day trip with the two main sleeping locations in Arles and Avignon, with day transport to all other shooting locations supplied. We'd try and do a bullfight in Nimes; then have the Gypsies run their wild horses for us on the Cremargue; then arrange for some figure models for the Cremargue beaches and the Les Beaux limestone quarries. (The limestone cliffs in and around Les Beaux, for those that may not know, is where Dante got his inspiration to write Inferno.)

But that is for later -- Guy and I need to focus our energies on the Yosemite workshop for right now

Cheers,

I didn't know what lens to choose, the Summilux 75mm or the Noctilux 50mm. Finally, I tooke the Summilux. I am happy, but I would buy a Noctilux too at a 30% discount without any doubt.

Guest guy_mancuso

Just what i am doing Reuben. I have the 75 lux and the Nocti is with the 30 percent off , only way i will buy it. I'm done with the 6k lenses too afraid i will bust them up. I had the famed leica R 35-70 2.8 lens that I paid 6300 hundred for and i was to afraid to use it professionally. It was a brillant lens but for a banging Pro maybe not the best tool.