How sharp is the 75mm Summicron?

Tony C.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In regard to Lars's comment about bracketing, I find that the easiest way to bracket with the M8 is to keep the shutter speed on Auto, lock in the exposure by pressing the shutter halfway down to get the dot in the finder lit up, and then just stop down or open up as much as you want while the exposure is locked. Its more convenient than switching to Manual for those of us that usually shoot in Auto.

Doug

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Tony

Aroused by your thread, I'm also curious to a make comparison between the 75 Lux and Cron. KI was just stunned again by the image it draws. This time, an old man at backlight. We may have different preference for younger subject. :)

First Lux @1.4, then Cron @2.0, both from C1, no PP.

This is a f/1.4 versus f/2 shots comparison, and it is very interesting, but I would like to see f/2 against f/2 and f/2.8 vs f/2.8 comparisons.

The danger, and here we agree, is indeed in those assumptions as to what is automatically considered "better". The danger is in letting the technical abilities of the medium dictate the picture, rather than the vice versa. I don't want to see the tail wag the dog either.

Precisely :)

This is a f/1.4 versus f/2 shots comparison, and it is very interesting, but I would like to see f/2 against f/2 and f/2.8 vs f/2.8 comparisons.

I just returned the Lux to my friend. I've made some more pics at same apertures, namely at f2 and f4. Pardon me that these are not very vigourous comparison pics as they are taken at different object distance, the different dof then make the comparsion bit difficult. Hope they serve to give us some idea of these gems' fingerprints.

Sequence: Lux f2, Cron f2, Lux f4, Cron f4.

All taken at nearest focusing distance, Lux - 80cm, Cron - 70cm

I think I should have taken them at same object distance but the Lux was gone =(

Same aperture, same exporsure time, same WB, straight from C1.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's so subtle and so subjective, but the difference is very visible. Even colours seem to shift, stronger and more contrast with the cron slightly less so with the lux. This is the burning issue I have with my Cron, almost too much punch and clarity for some subjects.

I'm only splitting hairs here, either gives superb results, the Cron with it's smaller lighter easier to use format or the Lux with it's softer tones. I've had a love / hate relationship with the 75 Summicron. It's more indicative of modern Asph lenses, what you see wide open is what you get stopped down, full contrast, full sharpness. Where as the Lux has the ability to improve or soften tones depending on the aperture chosen, almost two lenses in one.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Kent

Good observation. I took some 200+ pics with these brother pair last weekend. Most pics are taken indoor in front of large windows, so the lighting is somewhat natural light with shade. I custom set all WB at 6200. The Lux rendition is on the brownish yellow side while the Cron rendition is bit on the red. I blind mix some of them here in my zenfolio

My Zenfolio

No label this time, see whether you can locate which is by which :) Lux, Cron and Cron with CZ Softar.

Taking into account all the characteristics of these 2 Leitz brothers, 26 years apart, I really cannot say which is better. Just different characters. Once I got the same view as Eoin, but when I take more and more pics with them, the fine rendtion of the Cron is hard to let go. (Yes, with the Cron, I use the soft setting on C1, and some pics here with the Cron is with a B+W CZ Softar) The lucky man will be to hold both.

Cheers

Matthew

.....Once I got the same view as Eoin, but when I take more and more pics with them, the fine rendtion of the Cron is hard to let go.......

Who do you think your telling! :) , I've resigned my self to the fact I'd sell my cron in favor of the 90 Pre Asph Cron or 85 Rex which I already have, but I keep picking it up 75 Cron and am so impressed by it's quality. Very very hard to let such a fine lens go. The Rex is on it's way back from Malcolm Taylor after a full "loving" overhaul with new coatings, re aligned optics and other magical touches to return it to it's former glory. The 90 Cron sits on the shelf waiting to show it's abilities in my planed 75-85-90 shootout. Only waiting now for the body and Nocti to be returned after calibration from Solms and I'll have some tough decisions to make.

I can't help but feel at this point in time and after a lot of thinking that the 75 cron given it's compact size and ability may very well have to stay, it's like the 75 Cron is flawless and therein lies the problem, it's too perfect.:rolleyes:

Yes, but only on the shadow side. ......... as when we exposed Kodachrome 64 at EI 50........What LATITUDE they gave us poor photogs in those days!

Lars,

Just curious - but is this really what you used to do? I certainly would advise against it. It was fairly common practice to expose Kodachrome 64 at 80 and this was the standard setting for many to avoid blown highlights.

Perhaps my biggest problem with the M8 is its tendency to overexpose. The sensor is, I am sure, faster than the ISO settings by about 1/3 EV which does not help. Despite years of practice with Kodachrome I still have not completely mastered the metering and exposure of my M8 to avoid blown highlights.

Peter

The WB of former set all was tuned to 200k less to compensate for the brownish yellow Lux rendition, so the Cron's color is bit off.

With correct WB and exposure, the comparison pics are reposted as below.

Lux f2, Cron f2, Lux f4, Cron f4.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

From f/2.0 I find the Cron and the Lux quite similar in practical terms (the Cron has more resolution and contrast, but the Lux is very good too). The differences are even more reduced stopping down to f/2.8 or f/4. These pictures show these differences. The Lux provides a very interesting and usable f/1.4 aperture, but the smaller price and size is for the Cron.

I don't know what are the differences in terms of chromatic aberrations (CA), for instance. Chasseur d'Images reported less CA in the Lux! (well, the measured the fringe around high contrast edges, not necessarily due to CA of the lens).

It is interesting to observe that the out of focus blurriness takes place much faster in the Cron! Given that the Lux is more famous for its bokeh, this may give a clue to pleasing bokeh, ie. the blurriness should not set in too fast. This goes against the Asph lens philosophy, or at least how they seem to work, I think.

With correct WB and exposure, the comparison pics are reposted as below.

That actually reduces the perceived color difference quite a bit.

I was also struck by the difference in transition into the boke area. Not sure which I prefer, though. The effect is probably quite subject dependent.

The Cron is excellent to be sure, and I think one of the better Asph designs for bokeh. However, the Lux has a smoother transition into its oof areas as can be seen by looking at the bottom edge of the spine on the book -- slightly jagged double-image look with the Cron, smoother oof look with the Lux.

I think I could be happy with either lens, but the Lux really is more of a two-fer lens. At f1.4 it is quite unlike anything else and the smooth character holds though the apertures as the effect diminishes. I already own the Lux and don't plan on exchanging it for the Cron any time soon ;)