24mm The lost lenses of Leica M

Schittra

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wide angle distortion does not really exist. It is just perspective. The problem is that most photographers use them wrong. Just thinking that it is a lens that will cram more field of view on to  the sensor is bound to lead to disappointment and complaints about "distortion".

For instance macro photography of model buildings etc. requires wideangle lenses to get a natural-looking perspective. Emphasising fore- vs. background is another use. Or taking a scene within a scene.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Wide angle distortion does not really exist. It is just perspective. The problem is that most photographers use them wrong. Just thinking that it is a lens that will cram more field of view on to  the sensor is bound to lead to disappointment and complaints about "distortion".

For instance macro photography of model buildings etc. requires wideangle lenses to get a natural-looking perspective. Emphasising fore- vs. background is another use. Or taking a scene within a scene.

Surely this is just semantics, Jaap?

If you are meticulous about levelling your camera, or more accurately having the plane of the sensor perpendicular to the image you wish to capture, and you’re careful about the corners, then no - distortion won’t be an issue.  If you’re not careful, you won’t get a “natural” image, with egg shaped heads and curved lines. I agree that is strictly an issue of perspective, but calling it distortion is still correct.

Distortion (in a lens sense) is a different issue - barrel distortion, moustache distortion etc ... but I do think it’s misleading and unhelpful to say “wide angle distortion does not really exist”.  Of course it does,

• Like 2

Egg-shaped heads are no rectilinear (pincushion) distortion as is often thought. It is perspective distortion, caused by the lens being so close to the subject that the size relationship between front and back of an object differs too much compared to the perspective of our eye.

As such it is not a function of the focal length of the lens, but of the distance between lens and subject. Simply said, the perspective distortion is the same for all focal lengths if used at the same subject distance, but  it will be cropped off by the more narrow field of view of the longer lens.

Wikipedia:

In photography and cinematography, perspective distortion is a warping or transformation of an object and its surrounding area that differs significantly from what the object would look like with a normal focal length, due to the relative scale of nearby and distant features.

If you were a fish it would be the only undistorted view. ;)

It is a mathematically undistorted projection of the lens, but it is a discrepancy with the view of our eye, which has a more narrow field of view and gets its wideangle vision from scanning - and has a curved retina.

That is why a swing-lens camera like the Horizont gives an "undistorted" view. It is a clever trick, really. The lens moves in a curve and the film is curved.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

59 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Have it your way then.  24mm perspective distortion is greater than 28mm and less than 21mm. 
I’m afraid you don’t really have a point to make.

• Like 1

Working on a series of photos for a winery in Napa and used the 24 F3.8 Elmar extensively in their tasting cave last Friday.  Here’s an example, probably at F8.0 for depth of field.  M10 on a tripod.  Framed with the LCD on the back  

I love this lens!

Edited by mdemeyer
  • Like 14

Another...

Edited by mdemeyer
  • Like 9

21 hours ago, spydrxx said:

Had the 24 Elmarit & finder, but sold it after a year. It was a beautiful lens, sharp as a tack, good color. But it sat on the shelf too much, being in between my favorite 35 and my 21.

+1   But I didn’t sell and I never will, very nice rendering. A 24 is destined to be used not as often as midrange lenses. That is for me no reason to sell it. I don’t like a 21, perhaps that’s also a thing. I jump with pleasure to 15mm and this is how it is for me. 

• Like 2

Some examples of architecture, outdoors and indoors. Taken with an M10 and 24mm Elmar using a Frankenfinder, with some adjustments for perspective in Lightroom

William

• Like 4

I mentioned car shows as well. Here is a Maserati 150S taken with the M10, 24mm Elmar and Frankenfinder combination.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

I have the SEM 21, and Summilux asph 35mm. I like both lenses and use them depending on the situation . However the 21mm is sometimes too wide, especially if people are integrated into a landscape background or for street photography. With the 35 we are already out of the ultra wide angle space definition.  I have an Elmarit 24 asph and I am delighted by its performance both in colour rendering and special signature. It is a great compromise between a 24 and a 35 as it is as well good for landscapes as for people and street. I have taken it for travel in japan and made some of my best photos, in a combination of 24 Elmarit, 50 Cron and 90 Macro Elmar.  I was also tempted by the 24 Summilux but agree with Adan's comments , as it would not really bring any bigger benefits versus the Elmarit Asph. I wold really recommend to try that lens which , in addition gives a really special point of view. As to the finder , I use either a dedicated 24 or the visolux and the problem is gone.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, newnew said:

24 and a 35 a

This text seems to contain typo’s. Anyway I don’t get what you mean and I don’t know if the image is from a 21 or from the 24. I think a 24? I would like to agree with you but I’m not sure of the content. 
Btw, one more reason I prefer the 24 above a 21 is that a barely need a separate viewfinder. I use the metal frame of the finder as the 24 frame and that goes quite well, sometimes I have recompose but not so much. 

• Like 1

One more reason to love the 24 Elmar M 3.8 is it's diminutive size, if I want to carry a wide with minimal weight (backpacking) this is my go to lens, along with the equally brilliant 50 Summilux.  The lens is magical for it's beautiful rendering of landscape, I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do with the rumored M10-R.   What I find so anti-M about it's alleged demise is that it meets all the criteria for what the M is about, small, basic and superb IQ.  What is Leica thinking?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, otto.f said:

This text seems to contain typo’s. Anyway I don’t get what you mean and I don’t know if the image is from a 21 or from the 24. I think a 24? I would like to agree with you but I’m not sure of the content. 
Btw, one more reason I prefer the 24 above a 21 is that a barely need a separate viewfinder. I use the metal frame of the finder as the 24 frame and that goes quite well, sometimes I have recompose but not so much. 

Yes agree. It should read 21 and a 35. I meant the 24 was a good compromise between a 21 and 35. The picture is from a 24 mm showing the fine colour shade separation of the Elmarit.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jaeger said:

I don't see distortions like some have insisted.   lol

The 24 Elmar is almost distortion free. Any perspective issues (which can sometimes be the fault of the photographer) can be fixed in seconds in Lightroom. It is a superb little lens which can be heartily recommended. 

William

• Like 6

My favorite FL when I shot Nikon digital and film. Had the 24/2 AIS for years and later on, the 24/1.4 G. Really preferred it to both 21 and 28. On RF, not so. Have a 28 Elmarit and 21 SEM.

Recently bought a ZF 2,8/25 for my film Nikons. Fantastic. Perfect FL on an SLR. 

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 1