Leica R 60 vs Sigma 70 macro lens comparison

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

I have recently purchased a Sigma 70mm macro for use on my Leica CL, primarily for slide & negative copying. I was using a Leica 60mm R series macro for this task, but constantly checking and re-checking the focus when copying a large number of slides or negatives is very tedious. Negatives in particular were a problem as keeping them flat is nigh on impossible. Once my new lens arrived it was obvious it was something special, so I decided to do a comparison, just for my own amusement, and the resulting photos are here https://adobe.ly/2Ub1RUG 

For the shot of the bookcase the camera was on a tripod and released with the self timer. I moved the camera closer with the Leica lens to account for the difference in focal length.

For the slide copy the camera was mounted on an old enlarger stand with illumination provided by an iPad displaying a pure white screen.

The Leica R lens was fitted to the camera with a Novoflex adaptor.

Now I'm well aware comparisons of this kind can be very tedious, so to save you having to look my findings are as follows: The Sigma wins hands down. It is better at every aperture with the possible exceptions of f5.6 & f8 where the Leica lens is at it's best. Neither is any good at f22.

For copying purposes the Leica is best at f8 & the Sigma at f5.6, so these are the apertures used in this comparison. At these apertures they are very similar, with the Sigma being slightly better in the corners. The big plus however is autofocus, copying a batch of slides or negatives is now much quicker.

I hope this is of interest to anyone thinking of the new Sigma lens.

Cheers

John

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Is this newly developed lens lens for L-mount or an adapted DSLR lens. Mine looks like the latter, with a tapering >1 inch gleaming ring
between lettering and camera bayonet mount.

Quite different from the shorter lens all sellers show on their sites. Those all look like a DSLR lens. 

Adorama shows the lens I just bought :)

Edited by vanhulsenbeek

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the Sigma and it lives up to its reviews. A bit weird to handle, as everyone says, but one gets used to it quickly. it hunts, but not hard to figure out how to get it focusing more quickly. here are 3 very quick shots. the macro shot of a high frequency target is just a tad off axis (I didn't get the camera perfectly level); the TV shot was from around 10 feet away and very impressively sharp, I think; and then through my window to the porch for color.Good build quality. For the money, this is a really, really impressive lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I just got the Sigma and it lives up to its reviews. A bit weird to handle, as everyone says, but one gets used to it quickly. it hunts, but not hard to figure out how to get it focusing more quickly. here are 3 very quick shots. the macro shot of a high frequency target is just a tad off axis (I didn't get the camera perfectly level); the TV shot was from around 10 feet away and very impressively sharp, I think; and then through my window to the porch for color.Good build quality. For the money, this is a really, really impressive lens.

Particularly like the shot of the flower pots!  What a nice capture. Love the colors. 

Lens looks superb.  Rob

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, bags27 said:

Great Ken, really love that last one.  Good to see you back in digi land, you have been too long with your films 😄.   I usually end up getting close to focus with af, then switch to manual focus to wind the lens to where I want it to be.  Looking forward to seeing more.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Jayne. That’s excellent advise. It does have its quirks and that’s a helpful way of thinking about it. I bought the lens with the sole intention of improving my film scanning, but I have to admit it is making me more interested in digital again. 😀

• Like 1