What do you suppose caused this?

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a film off a bulk film loader, shot in an MP and home developed. What do you think I might have caused this effect?

Pete

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Looks like a light leak to me. Did you run off all the film to cartridges? I wonder if you can try a different type of cartridge or at least try again, rolling off a shorter length of film to test. If it is a light leak I hope it took place in the cartridge and not in the bulk loader. I assume the developing tank and camera are good and your darkroom light proof. All the best!

Edited by Xícara de Café

5 hours ago, Xícara de Café said:

Looks like a light leak to me. Did you run off all the film to cartridges? I wonder if you can try a different type of cartridge or at least try again, rolling off a shorter length of film to test. If it is a light leak I hope it took place in the cartridge and not in the bulk loader. I assume the developing tank and camera are good and your darkroom light proof. All the best!

I ran off 20 rolls at the same time. This is the 17th roll to be developed. This is the first frame on the roll. No other rolls have been affected. 

Pete

56 minutes ago, dewittehd said:

Could you post more frames?

This is the only frame to be affected in 17 rolls. It's either the first or the last frame on the roll. That's why I'm curious as to how this might have happened. I don't recall any issues whilst rolling them, nor developing. It's strange.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl

I wonder if, it being the either the first or the last frame on the roll, it might be due to how the film sat in the stainless steel developing spool. I've a feeling it was the first frame of the film so would have been tightly wound in the camera  takeup spool so perhaps it sat funnily in the SS developing spool??

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see, I had something like this happen with a roll of Ilford Delta 100, but about 5 of the last frames were affected and on what I thought was probably the last cartridge from the roll. I'll dig up an example that looked interesting enough to keep...

Edited by Xícara de Café
  • Like 2

How old is the cartridge? I had several from when I previously shot film, probably 20 years old, just had one do that on the first frame, I threw it out. The first 3 or 4 inches of the film could get exposed from a worn out light seal. I was told when using bulk film never use a cartridge more than 3 times. This was by a Philadelphia Inquirer news photographer when I was in high school. If it was the camera it would be on random frames.

• Like 1

Were you using Leitz cassettes?

The curve at the left of the first image, ( #1 ), looks remarkably like the 'shadow' of the taper cut for threading a camera.

The oddity in the second image' ( #7 ), looks also like 'shaded' part significantly the louvres in the window are correctly (or so) exposed in the shaded part.

In image ( #1 ) the bright illumination to the left of the young lady's right arm could be from a light leak at the mouth of the cassette .

In image  ( #7 ) the two bright areas, top left of the window and right of the window sill, have the same general shape, perhaps an inadvertent  double exposure

of a bright reflection from a car body?

But, I agree, quite peculiar.

D.Lox.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 6:24 PM, Stealth3kpl said:

I wonder if, it being the either the first or the last frame on the roll, it might be due to how the film sat in the stainless steel developing spool. I've a feeling it was the first frame of the film so would have been tightly wound in the camera  takeup spool so perhaps it sat funnily in the SS developing spool??

Pete

Pete, do you cut the leader from the film before loading it on the reel? I think your previous analysis may be correct, it looks to me like film touching film either because of a tight curl or a stray end. The stray end scenario can occur if the leader isn't cut and only one side of the film is supported by the reel and it either pops out of the spiral or bends over.

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

Pete, do you cut the leader from the film before loading it on the reel? I think your previous analysis may be correct, it looks to me like film touching film either because of a tight curl or a stray end. The stray end scenario can occur if the leader isn't cut and only one side of the film is supported by the reel and it either pops out of the spiral or bends over.

Thanks Steve. I do cut the leader off and feed the film from the cassette onto the ss reel. I'm pretty certain this is the first frame on the roll so was innermost on the developing reel. The developer was HC 110 dil 1:49 and the developing time was fairly short at 6 minutes as I'd shot the Neopan 400 at 250 being in bright sunlight. 

Pete

I'm always shy of short Dev times, as they sometimes say 'take more water with it'. But the next thing to do would be look at agitation, short times often require more intense agitation just to make the solution get everywhere at the same time. Think about that before you can say it's a film/ cassette problem given previous cassettes have been good, a small fault in one area can amplify a fault in another area and it may just be the time the combination of small things adds up. In all my years doing film processing there is never a time I am 100% confident because there is always the mistake or 'unknown unknown' that has never happened before. 

• Like 1