Advice on sensor marks. Do I buy the camera?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all.

My name is Fabian Oliver, from Uruguay.

Leica user from long time ago, but analog, but now wanting to try an M8.

I've just returned at home after testing an M8, in very good shape.

The seller says that the sensor needs cleaning (wet).

Here is a frame of the sky I just take at f22.

these marks are just dirt?

I need your opinions, cause it will be my first digital camera, I owned M2, M3, IIIC, R4, hasselblads etc, but I never cleaned a sensor...

the price 1K with 

So?

Thanks for your opinion!!!!

Fabian

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fabianoliver

Hi ICT, thanks for your answer, I”ll take a look to the other pictures I take, “not the sky test” to see if they’re visible. The seller talks to me that in some beach pictures the dust was visible, but knowing that it’s just dirt, The deal can be done. You advised me not to clean Them because the procedure is always risky?

Not that risky, in fact i did clean digital sensors many times already but i happened to damage a sensor stack somewhat stupidly not long ago so my best advice is don't do it as long as you don't see those dirts on your actual pics.

Hola Fabian, sí, te recomiendo llevarlo con algún técnico que sepa limpiar el sensor, ES MUY importante que la batería esté 100% full, ya que se levanta la cortina del shutter para que se pueda limpiar el sensor, si por algo se cierra mientras estás limpiándolo y golpea la brocha limpiadora, la cortina del disparador se destruye y vas a necesitar enviarlo a Leica para reparar y costará un montón de dinero. Yo a la mía se lo he limpiado, pero siempre tiene un riesgo. Hiciste buena compra, que la disfrutes!

Saludos!

Ricardo

Done!, I've bought it.

I'm very happy, I've made some test with a googled summaron 35/3.5, here one picture.

Thanks all for your responses.

17 hours ago, fabianoliver said:

Thanks Jeff!!, now I'll pick up a nice lens.

The googled summaron that the seller lent me, is to big and heavy....I like the optics, but with the googles.....

If you are on a budget the 7Artisans 35mm f2 is a terrific lens for the price. I have it and the Summicron 35mm V4, and while the summicron is better, I can't really tell the difference looking at photos if I didn't know which lens was used.

The 7art 35/2 is a very good lens indeed but it doesn't render the same way as the Summicron 35/2 v4 in my view. It is significantly sharper at wide aperture with more acutance generally but also more flare, more distortion and a sharper bokeh. Size wise it stands in between the Summicron 35/2 v4 and the  Summicron 35/2 asph. For a smaller size, see another very good lens, the CV Ultron 35/2.

• Like 1

Thanks ict and jaapv for your suggestions.

I'll read more about them.

This version of summaron ( this one and the other I has in the 90's, may be all of them?) is good at center, but lacks definition in the borders, and with the 3.5f , for the M8 with his lack of sens, I find it far from the best option. Anyway is a nice lens.

As the sensor is quite sensitive to the infrared, you can also play with an IR filter (BW 092).
Photo with Elmarit 28 (lll), ISO 640 f: 8 ,,  1/60s. focus at 4m.

Que disfrutes tanto como yo con esta cámara.

chema

• Like 7