Any Leica Dealer who has an S3 in stock?

lik

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Frankly I’m surprised the stores are still open.

Wrote too soon...  all US stores now closed, along with NJ Customer Care, corporate offices, and online store.  This was from an email sent from President of Leica USA.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

The use of "China Virus" is stigmatizing. The WHO discourages the use of countries and persons in such names for that very reason. This is an open forum for people from all over the world without any regard to race, nationality, creed or any other discriminating characteristic. Thus the use of such terms is strictly forbidden on this forum and can lead to sanctions.

Posts deleted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am ‎12‎.‎03‎.‎2020 um 16:39 schrieb lik:

I know meanwhile that in three big German cities there is no S3 yet.

Yesterday I got a mail from the well-known dealer with Leica-Stores in Hamburg, Berlin and Munich, which says the S3 was for delivery now. You can order online from this store.

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

Yes. Some shops will ship outside the EU without charging VAT.. Inquire. However, for guaranty repairs you will have to deal with Leica Germany directly. Leica USA will regad this as "grey import" and refuse to repair the camera.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes. Some shops will ship outside the EU without charging VAT.. Inquire. However, for guaranty repairs you will have to deal with Leica Germany directly. Leica USA will regad this as "grey import" and refuse to repair the camera.

No mention of that under any of the terms of the Leica warranty posted on Leica USA website as far as I can tell (but I’m not a lawyer). 3 year/150k actuation guarantee from date of purchase from authorised dealer plus any additional customer protection benefits applicable to the country in which product is purchased...it reads as a “worldwide” guarantee.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Warranty

More of an issue might be the import value of the item - I think there is duty levied above a certain value ($2500?) but it’s hard to fathom the US tariff tables.

Edited by NigelG
Link added

We get regular complaints on the forum. Although Leica’s factory’s guaranty is worldwide, Leica USA’ s one is by the importer. Customer protection laws differ between   Europe and the USA.   You get a worldwide guarantee on products purchased from Leica USA by Leica USA. You get a worldwide guarantee on all Leica products by Leica Wetzlar but it is executed on Wetzlar. So Leica USA only guarantees products purchased from them.  If you need a repair on a product bought elsewhere you’ll have to ship it to Germany. Although Leica USA is controlled by Leica Germany it is a separate subsidiary company. 

Thanks for clarifying - having moved to the USA does that mean my European-purchased leicas - legally imported on our customs declarations when shipped to the US with our household goods - can’t be repaired in the US?....

Edited by NigelG

It is mostly done in Germany, that is true,  but you’ll have to handle shipping, customs, etc yourself instead of using the Leica USA system. Especially customs can be rather expensive if you make a minor mistake and can be very slow for individual items.

I'm not saying one should not buy from Europe, but one must be aware of potential drawbacks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

However, for guaranty repairs you will have to deal with Leica Germany directly. Leica USA will regad this as "grey import" and refuse to repair the camera.

That has not been my experience. Although I live in Canada, Leica USA is our importer. They have serviced and warrantied S equipment that I purchased in Europe without any issues or complaints. Other than the extra delay of handling the equipment in NJ before and after it goes to Germany.

7 hours ago, NigelG said:

Thanks for clarifying - having moved to the USA does that mean my European-purchased leicas - legally imported on our customs declarations when shipped to the US with our household goods - can’t be repaired in the US?....

While I bought my S in the US and live here, the only work I've ever had done was in Germany.  In terms of getting there, establish a relationship with a US Leica Store and they can help you get it back and forth as needed.

33 minutes ago, BernardC said:

That has not been my experience. Although I live in Canada, Leica USA is our importer. They have serviced and warrantied S equipment that I purchased in Europe without any issues or complaints. Other than the extra delay of handling the equipment in NJ before and after it goes to Germany.

I hope that they changed their policiy - I base my posts on forum complaints.