Any Leica Dealer who has an S3 in stock?

lik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear S-photographers,

I know meanwhile that in three big German cities there is no S3 yet.

And I got the information that there’s no information when a copy will be available. 
And  I wonder. 
Someone here who has already seen a real S3 somewhere?

Would appreciate some information. 

Regards lik 

49 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

If you're in the market for an S3 and find one, buy it before cities in Europe and in the US go into lock-down and the stock markets are closed.  

Cant imagine that Leica can produce too much given the us-china trade war, and now, corona. With an estimate peak in corona cases in (at least parts of) Europe sometime between May and October, the S3 might be severely delayed. 

Talking of dealers (I don’t wish to start a new thread for this), does anyone know where I can get a new rubber eye piece and battery grip bottom cover from? 

I saw a rubber eye piece on the Leica Miami website for $50 but they wanted $240 to ship it to the UK!? It could quite easily be shipped in a Jiffy bag for $5! 

I’ve emailed Leica Mayfair (London) but I haven’t heard back from them yet. Has anyone got any spare ones to sell me?

2 hours ago, Sarnian said:

Talking of dealers (I don’t wish to start a new thread for this), does anyone know where I can get a new rubber eye piece and battery grip bottom cover from? 

I saw a rubber eye piece on the Leica Miami website for $50 but they wanted $240 to ship it to the UK!? It could quite easily be shipped in a Jiffy bag for $5! 

I’ve emailed Leica Mayfair (London) but I haven’t heard back from them yet. Has anyone got any spare ones to sell me?

I'm in Miami.  

If you'd like, have them send it to me and I'll ship it to you. PM me if I can be of any help.  

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

Lik,  The three Leica Stores in the US and Australia that I do business have waiting lists for the S3.  One store has a list of 18 photographers, next 27 and last 22.  No word on when the first shipment is due in exactly to their stores according to the staffs.   r/ Mark

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sarnian said:

Leica in New Jersey sent an eyepiece cover upon request at no charge. Have you tried your countries distributor?

Suspect still in list making phase.

One point to bring up: potential shipping delays due to COVID 19... I have my two S bodies back in Germany for tweaking etc and was informed that the usual quick turnover time will morph into a month or more. Suspect this is due to COVID 19 with sick personnel etc... Again just an educated guess.. 

Chancellor Merkel spoke forcefully and realistically the other day and fears that up to 2/3 of Germans would eventually contract the disease. If so, this will undoubtedly wreak havoc on both the production and service lines in Wetzlar. If Leica is realistic, they will actually CLOSE down the factory for a few weeks and encourage the workers to stay home...Let's hope that severe illness is kept at a minimum.

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

If Leica is realistic, they will actually CLOSE down the factory for a few weeks and encourage the workers to stay home...

Well, I am certainly not a doctor, but I don't think that workers who assemble cameras and lenses in clean rooms are particularly at risk during the work day. Obviously, additional precautions need to be taken in common areas, and persons showing symptoms should not come to work. Other areas like shipping/receiving/warehousing are not as easy to keep clean, of course, but sending everyone home might not be necessary. I certainly would not second-guess Leica's management if they keep the factory running, they can assess the situation as it relates to their facilities and workforce.

56 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Well, I am certainly not a doctor, but I don't think that workers who assemble cameras and lenses in clean rooms are particularly at risk during the work day. Obviously, additional precautions need to be taken in common areas, and persons showing symptoms should not come to work. Other areas like shipping/receiving/warehousing are not as easy to keep clean, of course, but sending everyone home might not be necessary. I certainly would not second-guess Leica's management if they keep the factory running, they can assess the situation as it relates to their facilities and workforce.

the key epidemiologically speaking is in the home, the near home and transit. The worker gets infected at home or in transit and brings it to the factory and ka-boom.

That is why we are closing down everything including schools and quarantining....

This is standard practice.... Please you Tube VP Biden's speech from 3/12/2020... He is on the mark.

On 3/12/2020 at 8:29 PM, Chaemono said:

If you're in the market for an S3 and find one, buy it before cities in Europe and in the US go into lock-down and the stock markets are closed.  

Can't imagine that Leica can produce too much, firstly given the us-china trade war, and recently, corona. With an estimate peak in corona cases in (at least parts of) Europe sometime between May and October 2020, the S3 might be severely delayed. As is the case across the high-te industry, e.g.: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitalcameraworld.com/amp/news/nikon-d6-camera-officially-delayed-by-coronavirus and https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/3/14/21179542/apple-closing-retail-stores-march-27-coronavirus

But as is said: "Good things come to those who wait"...

Edited by helged
  • Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb helged:

Can't imagine that Leica can produce too much, firstly given the us-china trade war, and recently, corona. With an estimate peak in corona cases in (at least parts of) Europe sometime between May and October 2020, the S3 might be severely delayed. As is the case across the high-te industry, e.g.: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitalcameraworld.com/amp/news/nikon-d6-camera-officially-delayed-by-coronavirus and https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/3/14/21179542/apple-closing-retail-stores-march-27-coronavirus

But as is said: "Good things come to those who wait"...

How does the DR of the S3 at base ISO compare to the SL2?  You mentioned the impressive high ISO performance vs. the SL/SL2 already but I was wondering if you had a chance to compare DR, too.