M240 Flash Compatibility (Canon Speedlite 270EX II?)

Any flash that has manual settings will fire, but only Leica flashes have TTL compatability. Some older Metz flashes may have the reflector zoom/focal length function working. In other words, basically you are stuck with a Leica flash.

Not entirely.  I use an Olympus FL600R when I need on-camera flash.  I have the flash in 'thyristor auto' mode where the flash uses its own sensor to judge the exposure.  These days, not many flashes have this auto mode as an option.  Worth looking for it if you are a Leica user.  For more elaborate off-camera set ups, I use Godox radio controlled units and a Godox controller on the camera.  Works very well.

I very occasionally use a Canon flash with my M240. Like learning to shoot manually with exposure & focus, you have to learn to use manual flash too. It’s not that difficult but worth practising if your ‘working’. I also have a small Leica flash and even that I use manually. Shouldn’t challenge most Leica enthusiasts too much but as previously mentioned, if you want TTL then you’re limited on options. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have an old Canon 540 EZ from the EOS 1n days. Last time I tried to use it on a more modern Canon it cooked it and has lived in a drawer ever since. Would this work on my 240? I realise that it'd be manual only.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:39 AM, tedd said:

I have an old Canon 540 EZ from the EOS 1n days. Last time I tried to use it on a more modern Canon it cooked it and has lived in a drawer ever since. Would this work on my 240? I realise that it'd be manual only.

Leica cameras have high-voltage sync circuits. There are no instances on this forum of cameras being "cooked" by a flash. IIRC Leica cameras accept up to 600V.

On 4/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, jaapv said:

Leica cameras have high-voltage sync circuits. There are no instances on this forum of cameras being "cooked" by a flash. IIRC Leica cameras accept up to 600V.

I did a bit more further research and saw that number pop up again, so took the calculated-risk and you're right, it worked perfectly. That should do me for the rare instance I want to use a flash so long as I never feel the need for HSS. Thanks!

• Like 1