Any AF improvements in S3?

setuporg

"The revised and improved predictive autofocus system of the Leica S3 always looks one step ahead. The lens and the camera act together as a perfect unit that takes the most direct way to sharp images. The autofocus is designed to quickly yet smoothly move to optimum image sharpness and can even incorporate corrections made in the very last fraction of a second. In a way that is absolutely essential for dynamic photography, it recognizes all movements of a subject during the focusing process."

Perhaps its similar to the SL2/S1R ?

• Like 1

Setuporg,  Frame-it is spot on with the above quote statement.  Perhaps the only way to find out if the S3 AF is better is to go try the camera at a Leica Store when it comes available.  Also from all that I have read and talking with a Leica tech rep, it does focus better.  Now...just do what I did...reach for your black AMEX card and get ready to place your order.  My crystal ball still shows you doing the black AMEX card and this time you are gleefully creating beautiful and enduring photographs....(Prediction rate is still 90% too).....r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, frame-it said:

"The revised and improved predictive autofocus system of the Leica S3 always looks one step ahead. The lens and the camera act together as a perfect unit that takes the most direct way to sharp images. The autofocus is designed to quickly yet smoothly move to optimum image sharpness and can even incorporate corrections made in the very last fraction of a second. In a way that is absolutely essential for dynamic photography, it recognizes all movements of a subject during the focusing process."

Source, for those wondering: https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-S/Leica-S3/Details

• Like 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb setuporg:

Will it focus S100

Thanks for this remark - that' my most important question too. First thing I'm going to do once my dealer has it in stock is bring my S100 and check this out. The S100 is my most important lens for my S2. And it's jobless for too long now. I would only invest in S3 if this works properly. Otherwise I would sell all my S-Stuff. 

Edited by lik
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb albertknappmd:

evaluation in a low light environment

You’re absolutely right - I’ll do and keep you informed. 

But unlike the information we’ve got there’s no delivery yet. And they had no information when they will have the first camera in stock. 

49 minutes ago, albertknappmd said:

the issue is LOW LIGHT AF capabilities....

I appreciate that this is critical for some, and that it's difficult in any case. For the sake of the success of the S system, I hope that it satisfies the greatest number of photographers. If that means great video, which I never use, then wonderful! 

My current problem with high resolution cameras is that AF isn't accurate enough in any lighting. The GFX 100, being mirrorless, should be perfect at focusing. Yet I have to fine tune with magnified manual focus to get my 100 megapixels worth. With the S(007), I test exactly where infinity focus is on each lens and trust that setting more than AF on a distant building or a mountain. Shoot at f/8 with the S24? Ok, not as critical. Try to get distant buildings sharp with the S120 wide open? Not as easy.

But these are just my concerns. 

Hoping for the best from the S3,

Matt

• Like 3

This may be a resolution problem....

The higher the resolution, the harder to get PERFECT focus... 

This is a postulate inspired by quantum physics where Bohr adn company actually gave up on prediciting the actual electron orbits and use probability based calculation in lieu.

I have found that for landscapes the hyperfocal setting is really fine for infinity.

Albert

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 6:06 AM, albertknappmd said:

I have found that for landscapes the hyperfocal setting is really fine for infinity.

David Farkas mentioned years ago (Iceland trip?) this method, and his particular fondness for using the top display for easy setting.

Jeff

On 3/13/2020 at 6:06 AM, albertknappmd said:

A bit tautological, unless you’re referring to the camera’s own judgement. I confess I was talking about the 006, and I never got used to, that is, learned to trust, the 007’s distance display. 

Matt

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

David Farkas mentioned years ago (Iceland trip?) this method, and his particular fondness for using the top display for easy setting.

Jeff

Yes, David is excellent at that, and in fact I went on an Iceland trip with him and that is how I learned to better use it - for landscape work, which is my primary focus on the S.

Edited by davidmknoble

16 minutes ago, mgrayson3 said:

A bit tautological, unless you’re referring to the camera’s own judgement. I confess I was talking about the 006, and I never got used to, that is, learned to trust, the 007’s distance display. 

Matt

The S007 may not be perfect to the meter, I've never tested that.  But is is great at estimating the near focus point using smaller apertures (larger numbers).  That allows the use of the largest aperture to get the DOF you want, which helps prevent some of the diffraction issues with smaller apertures.  

I have found that feature much more helpful than estimating on a lens barrel scale.  IMHO.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Matt

An inadvertent tautology but... IT WORKS EVERY TIME INCLUDING FOR ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY....

Albert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'll be ... it works! I took the 180/3.5 and shot it wide open using the S(007) distance scale.The crop shows the antennae on top of the building 1/2 mile away, and a distant aircraft. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 3

On 3/12/2020 at 11:33 AM, frame-it said:

Won't be, I don't the unit in the SL2 and S1R is PDAF, it's some form of CDAF.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 2:22 PM, setuporg said:

So far the elephant in the room is the AF performance of S3.  Increased resolution or better reds are not dealmakers for many.  But poor AF is a dealbreaker for quite a few.

What do we know about any actual difference in AF in S3 over 007?

Will it focus S100?

All I know is that iot still has a single focus point so using the 100 will still be problematic. And no, I’m not going to hold 2.5kg of camera/lens at an arms length to get live view.

I found the S100 very difficult to work with on my S007 because of the focus recompose and I don’t think the S3 will be better.

Gordon

• Like 2