Camera bag (again and again)

Schittra

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is my "new" one, surely not the last, that looks like the Filson but far less expensive.

French army bag (1950) for 20Euro, insert on the Bay for 25Euro and some DIY customization (soft plastic on the bottom for waterproofing and mesh for spare space)

Internal dimensions (L/W/H)   28 x 14 x 22 cm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, benqui said:

For traveling the Filson Harvey Magnum bag is my favorite bag. Very very durable, low key and with a lot of smart solutions like the small side bags for a bottle of water etc. I use this bag since 2014 and was never disappointed. Unfortunately Filson does not sell this bag anymore. It has room for two cameras or one with more lenses.

Too bad this bag is NEVER sold in my country... Awesome bag!!!

On 7/4/2021 at 12:30 AM, LeicaS2 said:

This Thread started years ago by mentioning Wotencraft, and now you. I only now took a look at their offerings and they seem terrific. Your question was for advice on the Pilot 7L vs the Trooper M.

For merely carrying an M and two lenses, I’ll consider Wotencrafts smaller options. See photos:

They also have nice inserts including a very nice set of waterproof inserts.

I am also fan of the Worancraft bags. I own both a Ryker S and Xs. The XS would tick the boxes of the op. Although not available at Amazon

A bag has to (i) suit your personality, (ii) must be comfortable to wear and (iii) be appropriate for the assignment you are performing.

I stopped buying camera bags a long time ago! These days I choose a bag based on the three principals above. I see a few others here also adopt this approach; I applaud anyone who doesn't feel the need to buy the "correct" bag for a Leica M. [Big thumbs up to the guy that bought a Harris tweed bag from Etsy!]

So I would never dare to recommend or advise anyone what bag to buy. To me a bag is a very personal item like a suit or shoes. Coming onto an Internet forum asking what bag to buy makes as much sense to me as asking what shoes should I wear for street photography.

For the record: For short day assignments I use a small (28x25x8) messenger style bag. Now this bag happens to come from Coach and is a beautiful smooth tan leather. For long day assignments (up to 19 hours), and especially when I'm out in the countryside, I use a backpack. Now this backpack (32x47x14) happens to be made by Jekyll and Hyde. It's a smooth black leather which is gaining a patina from the rugged use it gets.

In summary I would say to anyone new to Leica M do not waste time and money looking for a perfect camera bag. Instead find the perfect bag for you and your Leica.

7 hours ago, stefanusj said:

if anyone want a full grain leather camera bag, check out Cravar Rana series.

https://findingrange.com/2017/10/20/cravar-rana-10-leather-camera-bag-review

I want to try Rana 11, because i also want to bring Macbook Air 13 and M body

Very nice, but have you seen the weight of the basic/empty bag.  

18 hours ago, lucerne said:

Very nice, but have you seen the weight of the basic/empty bag.  

Yes, leather is always heavier than canvas. But, they also selling the waxed canvas series. I think the Rana 11 is the perfect size for me (1 body with 2 lenses and 1 macbook Air 13").

18 hours ago, Pixeleater said:

Stefanusj, thanks for the suggestion. I went to the Cravar site and sent a message with a question about their tanning process. They replied quickly and thoroughly. Very responsive.

You're welcome. They are very friendly and responsive. I order mine in Sand color, and i can also request engraved name in front of the bag.

Edited by stefanusj

On 7/10/2021 at 8:50 PM, MarkP said:

Get your's cheap on eBay...🙄

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/164903214225?hash=item2664ff5c91:g:ucoAAOSwc1hgvu6-

Do you love it this much?

That looks like mine except it is in Otter Green and mine is khaki.

Nah. It is a $350 bag. I think I paid $320. $780 is way too much. But it is at least 10 years old and has traveled hard but still looks good.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 11:40 AM, junix said:

Many years ago I purchased, or attempted to purchase, Italian boutique bicycle components. Once bitten, twice shy as the saying goes. Anyway I already have stealth green sneakers that match my stealth green M10-P Safari and stealth black sneakers that match my stealth black M246 Monochrom. At a fraction of the cost! Some of those shoes are pretty cool though.

True story: M cameras without the distinctive Red Dot are known and favoured by those wanting to be as stealthy as possible and not draw attention to themselves. Within 10 minutes of purchasing my first M lens ('57 5cm Type 2 Summicron) and mounting it on my first M, the aforementioned M10-P Safari, I was stopped by a total stranger on the streets of London congratulating me on using such a cool camera. I am regularly stopped by people or catch people sneaking at glance at either of my M wanting to know what it is and is it a film camera. Obviously the best stealth camera one can buy is a Canon after all!  🙂

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 3:49 PM, stefanusj said:

if anyone want a full grain leather camera bag, check out Cravar Rana series.

https://findingrange.com/2017/10/20/cravar-rana-10-leather-camera-bag-review

I want to try Rana 11, because i also want to bring Macbook Air 13 and M body

Get a £5 messenger bag, put in MacBook plus camera or equivalent weight using flour/beer tins whatever and go out for a 5 hour walk and photograph assignment. Repeat the test with any rucksack. Now you will know how good messenger bags are when you pile in the kilos and do some serious walking.

PS: Don't forget to bend down when you take some of those shots; but look out for that messenger bag swinging into you jogging the camera as you press the shutter!

PPS: Just some real life personal experiences to share with the community. But the best way to learn is the hard way then you never forget 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Except that it’s not a parody. Eric is serious, as evident in the video provided in the link.

Jeff

Eric is one of the early "YouTubers", in the days of digitalRevTV. Liked his personality but not so his Videos.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:20 PM, E759 said:

Get a £5 messenger bag, put in MacBook plus camera or equivalent weight using flour/beer tins whatever and go out for a 5 hour walk and photograph assignment. Repeat the test with any rucksack. Now you will know how good messenger bags are when you pile in the kilos and do some serious walking.

PS: Don't forget to bend down when you take some of those shots; but look out for that messenger bag swinging into you jogging the camera as you press the shutter!

PPS: Just some real life personal experiences to share with the community. But the best way to learn is the hard way then you never forget 😉

been there, done that... macbook air is only 1.2kg + M with lens 1.1kg + wallet and others 0.5kg + bag, total weight <5kg. i consider myself not a very strong/muscular, but anything under 6kg in my shoulder, i can still hold it for a full day wedding assignment. 

Maybe you should try some muscle exercise, friend. Cheers!!! 

Edited by stefanusj

Just picked up a Billingham Avea 8 with plans to attach it to my Hadley Pro. It works/fits great on the Hadley but I could also envision using the Avea 8 on a properly supportive belt (using the belt loops) to create a ‘very’ minimalist package. In the Billingham Avea 8, I’m able to fit an M10* with a mounted 28Cron, as well as room left for a battery (or 2) and some SD cards. It’s a great, well made versatile little accessory bag that I’ve overlooked in the past.

Edited by RMF