Camera bag (again and again)

Schittra

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/4/2020 at 1:55 PM, jonoslack said:

I’ve tried so many different bags, but in the end I always go back to Fogg

Two favorites are The Last Waltz

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and the new Satchmo leather

What I really like about them is that they make them themselves (rather than using some sweatshop somewhere). I wrote a small piece on Fogg if anyone is interested:

It’s mostly in their own words

http://www.slack.co.uk/fogg-and-the-new-satchmo.html

All the best

Oh my! They are all lovely! Great taste in bags... I should have never opened this thread... Too many nice bags!
What iPad size is that? I think I already see it's an 9.7inch or 10.5 inch one... I'd love such a bag which fits the 12.9 inch one (but no inch bigger!😜)

1 hour ago, pietchen said:

my camera lives in a hand-made bag, made to measure for my camera.
Made by myself.

And that's just great work, it looks amazing!

When you live near the Equator with high humidity levels, leather is a magnet for mold and fungus. I find it best to stay with a material that can be washed from time to time. That’s another reason why I use Billingham bags. 

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Still looking for a small bag for hiking and walking around cities that I can get a body and spare lens into (or M 3-4 lenses). I have a Domke lens bag that I bought 20 years ago. The other day the strap broke so I replaced it, no big deal. I'd like something that doesn't scream camera, however.

I had an Ona bag for a month. That was a virtually ideal form factor but I couldn't stand the cheap hardware.

Pietchen, your bags are lovely, but I'd like something with padding and an adjustable strap. 

A MegaGear Torres looks nice, but again, looks like cheap hardware. 

I'd really prefer all leather. The leather and canvas bags don't appeal to me. Ideas welcome. I really hate logos too.

Edited by intermediatic

8 hours ago, intermediatic said:

I'd really prefer all leather. The leather and canvas bags don't appeal to me. Ideas welcome. I really hate logos too.

Four or more options mentioned in this thread, including Fogg Satchmo, Wotankraft Ryker, etc.  Dozens of other similar threads (hence the title of this one).  Oberwerth also has a few all-leather options. Many stores that carry leather goods offer messenger type bags.  Inserts from companies like Billingham can be adapted to suit.  

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a bag made by a local leatherworker to my own design, which is very similar to @pietchen's. The closures he uses are the best I have come across on bags - much more handy than the leather straps with 'keyhole' cutouts used by Billingham and Fogg, easily opened one-handed and secure when closed, and no magnets involved.

Mine is made of saddle leather; it is unpadded, but protection is provided (a) by a double base; the cavity between the layers is where I keep spare batteries, (b) stiff seams on the verticals, preventing impacting objects contacting the contents and (c) the stiff saddle leather itself for other areas. Leather is great for small bags like this, but a bit heavy for larger ones.

Here is one of my numerous bags. I use this one for light travelling (body and one or two lenses and little acc as battery, small pod, filters).

I bought an insert on the Bay for less than 10 £/$/E and put on a strap by Optech I already had. Added mesh on sides and magnets for closing.

• Like 1

And this is how my wife's hand bag looked like, of course with  a prettier strap before I saved it from the bin and proceeded to some  modifications.

Edited by Gelatino
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Four or more options mentioned in this thread, including Fogg Satchmo, Wotankraft Ryker, etc.  Dozens of other similar threads (hence the title of this one).  Oberwerth also has a few all-leather options. Many stores that carry leather goods offer messenger type bags.  Inserts from companies like Billingham can be adapted to suit.  

Jeff

I did go through the whole thread before posting. I don't get why so many of these bags have two color tones, one is enough thanks! I have messenger type bags already, for example a Belstaff 556 Colonial Messenger with an insert. I want something considerably smaller. Another poster mentioned that over. the shoulder bags are bad for your back. Indeed, after a couple of hours of carrying a camera, an iPad, and a few lenses in the same bag I start getting pain in the sciatic nerve of my left leg. Arrrgh! I need something light and since the camera will be out most of the time, it's just for my lenses. The Ona Bond Street was perfect, just the quality was lacking, from the leather to the hardware. I quite like that bag, Gelatino! 

Edited by intermediatic

1 hour ago, intermediatic said:

I did go through the whole thread before posting. I don't get why so many of these bags have two color tones, one is enough thanks! I have messenger type bags already, for example a Belstaff 556 Colonial Messenger with an insert. I want something considerably smaller. Another poster mentioned that over. the shoulder bags are bad for your back. Indeed, after a couple of hours of carrying a camera, an iPad, and a few lenses in the same bag I start getting pain in the sciatic nerve of my left leg. Arrrgh! I need something light and since the camera will be out most of the time, it's just for my lenses. The Ona Bond Street was perfect, just the quality was lacking, from the leather to the hardware. I quite like that bag, Gelatino! 

That’s why I specifically noted the Satchmo (Jono’s post) and the Ryker.  Smallish, one color leather.  I never liked the build quality or design (poor weather sealing at top) of the Ona line.  There are threads here discussing build quality, repair and service complaints.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, intermediatic said:

I quite like that bag, Gelatino! 

Yes, quite convenient, light, cheap and somehow classy.

An other one I like is Nikon FB-14 (you can buy one in very good state for 40 £/$/E on theBay) that I own since the 80's. I removed the old wooden insert and put a new one. It is slightly higher and wider .Even if the Nikon logo is discreet it looks more like a photo bag.

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

That’s why I specifically noted the Satchmo (Jono’s post) and the Ryker.  Smallish, one color leather.  I never liked the build quality or design (poor weather sealing at top) of the Ona line.  There are threads here discussing build quality, repair and service complaints.

Jeff

Yes, neither of those really works for me. As I said, I like the form factor of the Ona Bond Street. I don't like the two tones of the Ryker and in both cases, the bags are wider than tall. For me a more squarish bag or a bag that is taller than wide (and really small!) would be much more useful. 

The Nikon FB-4 is very nice, but it does say Nikon on it in big letters. Argh... I'll have to keep trolling eBay for vintage bags, I think. 

Edited by intermediatic

38 minutes ago, intermediatic said:

Yes, neither of those really works for me. As I said, I like the form factor of the Ona Bond Street. I don't like the two tones of the Ryker and in both cases, the bags are wider than tall. For me a more squarish bag or a bag that is taller than wide (and really small!) would be much more useful. 

The Nikon FB-4 is very nice, but it does say Nikon on it in big letters. Argh... I'll have to keep trolling eBay for vintage bags, I think. 

Check out the Dothebag Mono series from the German brand Monochrom.  Again, a simple forum search will present options.

Jeff

On 5/7/2020 at 3:42 AM, francesco1466 said:

My son given me a Domke F5Xa, wich is perfect to carry a body+2 lenses, 3 too if they aren't big

Small, inexpensive, gear well protected

https://tiffen.com/products/domke-f5xa-shoulder-belt-bag

My first "real" camera bag was the classic Domke F-7 in sand canvas. It is well made, has traveled all over the world with me and still looks good. Back then, I shot with Canon Pro SLRs (film) and EF L lenses. The simple design is brilliant, but I never really liked the velcro used on the side pocket flaps. 20 years later, the velcro has lost most of it's stay closed ability. I still have the bag, but I use is for storage. 

After 4 years of shooting Fuji-X, I switched to Leica about 3 years ago. I currently shoot Leica M 10 and M10-R. Since buying my first Fuji-X camera, my preferred bags have been Billingham. I love the quality and the idea of purchasing from a family-owned business. I own a number of Billingham bags. Last year, I called the factory and ordered the 307 bag with a 6 inch longer shoulder strap. I dealt with Katie for my custom order and she was fantastic to work with.

I just ordered the Hadley Pro Small 2020 in Navy from the factory as this model is not yet available from US distributors like B&H Photo. This will be my smallest Billingham bag and for when I go out with one camera and a lens or two. I love the unique Billingham bag enclosures and the fact that there are no velcro enclosures, ever.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

15 hours ago, budjames said:

My first "real" camera bag was the classic Domke F-7 in sand canvas. It is well made, has traveled all over the world with me and still looks good. Back then, I shot with Canon Pro SLRs (film) and EF L lenses. The simple design is brilliant, but I never really liked the velcro used on the side pocket flaps. 20 years later, the velcro has lost most of it's stay closed ability. I still have the bag, but I use is for storage. 

After 4 years of shooting Fuji-X, I switched to Leica about 3 years ago. I currently shoot Leica M 10 and M10-R. Since buying my first Fuji-X camera, my preferred bags have been Billingham. I love the quality and the idea of purchasing from a family-owned business. I own a number of Billingham bags. Last year, I called the factory and ordered the 307 bag with a 6 inch longer shoulder strap. I dealt with Katie for my custom order and she was fantastic to work with.

I just ordered the Hadley Pro Small 2020 in Navy from the factory as this model is not yet available from US distributors like B&H Photo. This will be my smallest Billingham bag and for when I go out with one camera and a lens or two. I love the unique Billingham bag enclosures and the fact that there are no velcro enclosures, ever.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Fogg bags are hand crafted by the two owners (bee and Nigel), have closures without Velcro, and they routinely accept custom orders.  

Audi/Billingham > BMW/Fogg?  😳

Jeff

• Like 2

Hadley Pro Small with the padded shoulder strap attachment 99% of the time.  I have an Ona Berlin with red dot but never use it because:

A. Heavy.  

B. Flashy.  My wife calls it a Murse (man purse) and I've gotten too many compliments from random women saying they like my bag.

C. Brass buckles at the end of the floppy straps that might accidentally hit a lens.  

D. Unbuckling can be fidgety and often requires two hands.  

I'd sell the Ona but damn it looks good.  

If rigorous hiking, I use a large North Face backpack that has a large padded compartment in which I can put the insert from the Hadley.  Quickly accessing the camera is not possible but I hate hiking with a bag bouncing on my hip.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 3