Camera bag (again and again)

Schittra

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, stefanusj said:

Too bad this bag is NEVER sold in my country... Awesome bag!!!

I also have the Filson Magnum Harvey bag - been all over the world with me. I found the strap a bit short  - I am tall - but as you say well designed those pockets on the side are great for glasses. I doubt anyone will be producing  a bag with DAH again in the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Ted Lemon

7 hours ago, RMF said:

Just picked up a Billingham Avea 8 with plans to attach it to my Hadley Pro. It works/fits great on the Hadley but I could also envision using the Avea 8 on a properly supportive belt (using the belt loops) to create a ‘very’ minimalist package. In the Billingham Avea 8, I’m able to fit an M10* with a mounted 28Cron, as well as room left for a battery (or 2) and some SD cards. It’s a great, well made versatile little accessory bag that I’ve overlooked in the past.

If it holds an M10+28Cron with spare battery, it is not actually "little"

4 hours ago, fisheess said:

If it holds an M10+28Cron with spare battery, it is not actually "little"

Perhaps ‘little’ was more a reference compared to a Hadley Pro and the Filson Magnum. The Avea 8 belt option is certainly ‘minimalist’ and It’s an alternative to the Billingham 72 which I felt was a little too square (both physically and style sense 🙂 ) for me. I just found that the profile of the 72 with strap bounced around too much when walking and moving, but it does have that strap option which is a plus. For an even smaller option one could take a look at the smaller Avea 5.

Edited by RMF

The longer I own my Pacsafe anti-theft hip pack https://int.pacsafe.com/collections/waist-packs/products/vibe-100-anti-theft-hip-pack , the more I realize this is my favorite way to walk the streets: camera on my neck or shoulder and an extra lens in the hip pack. Today I did that with my M10R and a Summilux75 and a 35 Summicron and if I do not want to show my camera somewhere sometime, the whole bunch fits in the Pacsafe, even with the EVF2. I use my Billinghams as home-bases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

The longer I own my Pacsafe anti-theft hip pack https://int.pacsafe.com/collections/waist-packs/products/vibe-100-anti-theft-hip-pack , the more I realize this is my favorite way to walk the streets: camera on my neck or shoulder and an extra lens in the hip pack. Today I did that with my M10R and a Summilux75 and a 35 Summicron and if I do not want to show my camera somewhere sometime, the whole bunch fits in the Pacsafe, even with the EVF2. I use my Billinghams as home-bases. 

That sounds a good idea. Very often when taking a walk I take a backpack just so I can have an extra lens and my mobile phone with me, plus reading glasses.

Pacsafe has 4 litres of space so enough for all those items plus a bin bag in case of rain. (Just tear the base of the bag and pull it over your head!)

"Outdoor Gear" in the UK has Pacsafe for GBP 43.78 including delivery. Much cheaper than from Pacsafe's own website.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, rramesh said:

Will the Billingham Galbin 8 binoculars case, fit a Leica M with lens?

https://billingham.co.uk/collections/camera-bags/products/galbin-binocular-case

Apparently so … https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/billingham-bags/13798-billingham-galbin-8-black-black.html

The 10 will provide more wriggle room … https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/billingham-bags/13801-billingham-galbin-10-black-black.html

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bags have always been important accessories to me. I'm fussy about my tactical backpacks, briefcases, suitcases, and more recently my camera bags. 

Function and aesthetic are both important to me and I like having different options for different moods, occasions, and outfits. I understand that expensive bags won't make me a better photographer, and the money would probably be better saved for a Monochrom body and perhaps a 50 APO. However, a new camera and lens won't make me a better photographer either. 

Now, I do have a confession to make. I just purchased a good condition used leather ONA Union Street for NZ$250 (US$175) at auction from someone nearby. This is a quarter of the price I would have to pay for a new one from my local camera store.  I have had positive experiences with ONA so I couldn't pass up on such a great deal. They are not perfect, in fact I expect this bag to be fairly heavy, with pockets that are tight, and for it to not be as waterproof as a Billingham. ONA doesn't appear to very popular on here, but I believe I will like this bag as much as my Berlin II, and the ONA Prince Street that I often regret giving away.

I won't be ignoring all the Hadley Pro recommendations and will definitely be buying an all black 2020 model in the next month or so when I am back at full pay.

My plan was to buy a new Hadley tonight if I didn't get the ONA at the price I wanted. The ONA was a "now or never" deal, whereas the new Hadley Pro will still be in stock in a few weeks. This way I can have my cake and eat it too!

i remember, 5 or 6 years ago i use and love TT Retrospective 5. I think it's very discreet to use in the street. Back then, i also think that Billingham people's look arrogant and it represents as a "theft attractive's bag".

But.... after using Hadley Small, i understand the quality of materials, and why a lot of people really enjoy using it. The weight, the size and the compartments is perfect and usable, unlike the many pockets in Retrospective 5 that "unusable" for me (2 outside pockets and inside side pockets).

• 1 month later...

I'm here to praise an incredibly modest and dorky bag that I just discovered on Amazon because it has nearly a perfect score out of >500 reviewers--and deservedly in my opinion. It's the Bagsmart (cheaper on Amazon, at USD 29.99, though only in one, very dorky color there, than the choice of dorky colors on its website).

The bag is absolutely perfect for an M and 2 lenses (one on top of the other), with lots of pockets for other stuff. 2 water bottle nets are perfect for holding rolls of film. 

What is especially great about my dork is that the shoulder strap adjusts on the fly incredibly easily, so I wear the bag below, above, and riding my hip. I've never had a bag so cheap and so easy to use, and yet fully padded (why I rarely take out my Domkes).

The other thing is that it has one of those elastic straps to put though an extended luggage handle. I'm wondering whether it would hold a Peak Design Travel Tripod, if only I had one. Hmmmm

Anyway, 30 bucks of complete satisfaction for situations where I need exactly this.

Edited by bags27

I have been afflicted of late with an irrational desire for an Oberwerth Freiburg with olive cordura and medium brown leather (see below).  Paying $600 USD for a camera bag may be loony, but as is the case with Leica cameras and lenses, it's a quality of life issue. 

I do like the Fogg Last Waltz, but Fogg bags seem to be hard to get hold of.  I emailed Fogg about ordering directly from them, but am getting no response.  Leica Store SoHo quoted me a four month or longer wait to get a Last Waltz and a price in the $825-850 USD range.  $600 for the Freiburg is tolerable (barely). $825-850 is just a bridge too far.  With the USD in the bottom of the Port-a-Potty these days, those prices may climb even higher.  I'm thinking I need to buy before the Freiburg becomes really not affordable for a commoner like me.

At the end of the day, we live but once and then we die - so why not permit ourselves a bit of luxury during our travels between the delivery room and the embalming room? 

And then there's this:  "In a world dominated by soulless, mass-produced and disposable goods, objects that are made by artisanal hands retain a soul and warmth that connects us with our humanity, past and present."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Herr Barnack

It is an interesting claim that the USD is in the crapper--a claim Leica often makes to justify price increases. It's a perception, of course. Here's the reality.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!