Which non-modern rendering 50?

ardbeg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28 minutes ago, pippy said:

Please keep us posted once it arrives. I, for one, would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

And +1 for your titular twin being a seriously nice malt...

Philip.

Will do. Lens is in hand but I had to order a LTM to M adaptor as the dealer did not have a 50/75 frame adaptor in stock. I shot the lens in store nonetheless with incorrect frame lines to confirm everything was in working order. Good cosmetic and lens condition considering the age (serial number 1259XX). And thank you for the Scotch comment. I largely gave up whiskey collecting to afford the glass habit (first world problems I admit). I do still have an unopened Ardbeg 1978 acquired during my younger days before Scotch prices skyrocketed.

Edited by ardbeg
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

50mm f/1.0 Noctilux #11822. 

She is a bit on the portly side, but she hauls the mail with regard to rendering. 

There is no other.

I agree. My 50/1 is my standard walking around lens.

• Thanks 1

Despite the stressful times in which we find ourselves, I find thinking about cameras and shooting pictures with my son very distracting (and it is way more stimulating than binge watching Netflix). Anyway, having acquired a 50 Hektor in nice condition as mentioned previously in the thread, the LTM to M adapter arrived in the mail today, AND I forgot to consider that the adapter (Fotodiox Pro) blocks the push button release on the infinity lock. So, any different adapters I should now consider which accommodate this situation? Do I just need to order the non-pro version of the adapter or consider another manufacturer?

Edited by ardbeg

I use the plain FotoDiox mount adapter. Works fine with all my film M bodies  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BradS

13 hours ago, ardbeg said:

Despite the stressful times in which we find ourselves, I find thinking about cameras and shooting pictures with my son very distracting (and it is way more stimulating than binge watching Netflix). Anyway, having acquired a 50 Hektor in nice condition as mentioned previously in the thread, the LTM to M adapter arrived in the mail today, AND I forgot to consider that the adapter (Fotodiox Pro) blocks the push button release on the infinity lock. So, any different adapters I should now consider which accommodate this situation? Do I just need to order the non-pro version of the adapter or consider another manufacturer?

There has been another thread on the subject of the cut-out in the M screw adaptors and the impact of blocking the infinity catch.

you could get an adaptor with a longer cutout or cut out a bit yourself, probably you would not want to butcher an original Leitz one but just a cheap copy. Alternatively if you are not about to use it at infinity turn the focussing a bit away from the infinity position before fitting the adaptor so that it does not foul on the adaptor.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:05 PM, ardbeg said:

...snip... Do I just need to order the non-pro version of the adapter or consider another manufacturer?

On 3/21/2020 at 11:18 AM, Pyrogallol said:

There has been another thread on the subject of the cut-out in the M screw adaptors and the impact of blocking the infinity catch.

you could get an adaptor with a longer cutout or cut out a bit yourself, probably you would not want to butcher an original Leitz one but just a cheap copy. Alternatively if you are not about to use it at infinity turn the focusing a bit away from the infinity position before fitting the adaptor so that it does not foul on the adaptor.

I think the problem is that the $29.95 Fotodiox Pro adapter has NO cutout. However, the standard, $14.99 Fotodiox (non-pro) adapter does. Problem solved ?

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/leica-m-adapters/lens-mount_m39-l39-screw-mount

3 hours ago, BradS said:

I think the problem is that the $29.95 Fotodiox Pro adapter has NO cutout. However, the standard, $14.99 Fotodiox (non-pro) adapter does. Problem solved ?

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/leica-m-adapters/lens-mount_m39-l39-screw-mount

Yes, thank you. Non-pro adapter now on order. In the meantime, I’ve been doing some shots with the Hektor close focused prior to mounting.

On 3/11/2020 at 2:40 PM, 01af said:

Elmar! (any of them)

I agree but you do have to test it thoroughly. Somewhere around the release of M6J the Elmar-M 50 was absolutely unconvincing. I owned such a silver one and sold it. I now have a more recent copy and I find it astounding, the best price/quality ratio in the Leica collection.

Edited by otto.f

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

I agree but you do have to test it thoroughly. Somewhere around the release of M6J the Elmar-M 50 was absolutely unconvincing. I owned such a silver one and sold it. I now have a more recent copy and I find it astounding, the best price/quality ratio in the Leica collection.

Different experience here. I have kept the Elmar-M 50/2.8 of my M6J together with a late copy with 6-bit coding. I use both on digital and don't see significant differences i must say.

11 hours ago, lct said:

Different experience here. I have kept the Elmar-M 50/2.8 of my M6J together with a late copy with 6-bit coding. I use both on digital and don't see significant differences i must say.

That’s good. This week there was a forum member who had an old Elmar 50 that was better than the latest version that he sold. That was quite extreme for me. 

Edited by otto.f

10 minutes ago, otto.f said:

That’s good. This week there was a forum member who had an old Elmar 50 that was better than the latest version that he sold. That was quite extreme for me. 

I won't say what i think w/o knowing whom is this LUF member :D