Which non-modern rendering 50?

ardbeg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I know - open ended lens buying question but bear with me I’ll provide more specifics. I’ve been in a lens buying / kit reorganization phase for a while now. I have 3 50s (and yes, I shoot with all of them weekly). The three are a Noct 1.0, 50 Lux ASPH (Black Chrome), and a 50 Cron DR. I would like to get one more and wanted suggestions on a lens with a rendering style that did not overlap with the above 3. Other random preferences — no “modern” rendering / asphericals (the 50 Lux is truly awesome but I prefer the look of the other two more). Doesn’t have to be a fast lens. Sharp is great but I will go for better microconstrast over pure sharpness. I previously owned a 50 Lux pre-ASPH, (also a lovely lens) but I ultimately sold it as its rendering overlapped with the Noct to my eyes (and thus it sat on the shelf despite the weight advantage over the Noct). I have no manufacturer bias (Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander) but attainable in good condition without a treasure hunt is preferable. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

39 minutes ago, ardbeg said:

Yes, I know - open ended lens buying question but bear with me I’ll provide more specifics. I’ve been in a lens buying / kit reorganization phase for a while now. I have 3 50s (and yes, I shoot with all of them weekly). The three are a Noct 1.0, 50 Lux ASPH (Black Chrome), and a 50 Cron DR. I would like to get one more and wanted suggestions on a lens with a rendering style that did not overlap with the above 3. Other random preferences — no “modern” rendering / asphericals (the 50 Lux is truly awesome but I prefer the look of the other two more). Doesn’t have to be a fast lens. Sharp is great but I will go for better microconstrast over pure sharpness. I previously owned a 50 Lux pre-ASPH, (also a lovely lens) but I ultimately sold it as its rendering overlapped with the Noct to my eyes (and thus it sat on the shelf despite the weight advantage over the Noct). I have no manufacturer bias (Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander) but attainable in good condition without a treasure hunt is preferable. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Love your scotch, Ardbeg

VM 1,2/50. Brilliant lens.

Other interesting choices might be the Nikkor 50/1.4 LTM. Great Sonnar. Also, Canon 50/1.8 LTM; tiny, lower contrast but relatively high resolution for a lens of its age. 

Edited by james.liam

Elmar-M 50/2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

LeicaM_5028_specs.pdf

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ardbeg said:

Also, any thoughts on the CV 50 Heliar 3.5? That said, I am intrigued by the LTM suggestions but how hard are they to find in reasonably good condition?

LTM Leitz/Leica lenses are plenty available, so take time to choose best condition units ...

Elmar 3.5/50 : about 360.000 made from 1926 till 1962 , so I have some of different periods and older lenses not coated are NOT less desirable and can give lovely results.

Summar 2/50 : can be harder to find in good conditions as the glass type used prone to haze and/or scratched, I have two, one coated but not really matter as Summar are

character lenses coated or not.

Summarit 1.5/50: this lens is the most "character" lens not easy to learn how to use it at best

And much much more in Leitz/Leica or other brands Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, etc.

14 minutes ago, ardbeg said:

Also, any thoughts on the CV 50 Heliar 3.5? That said, I am intrigued by the LTM suggestions but how hard are they to find in reasonably good condition?

It is big lens for its aperture. And deliberately made with old LTM lenses quirks, like too long focus throw, which leads fingers, focus tab to the VF window. I could take it with old Summar, but modern lens... CV Heliar 3.5 is known as very sharp lens and smooth rendering. No "retro" to be found on images. F2 version of this lens is not sharp lens at all, with very smooth OOF, but you have 50 1.0 with the same.

Summar is interesting lens due to absence (most of them) of coating, which handles contrast differently. But it also mutes colors in OOF, at least on film.

50 minutes ago, ardbeg said:

I have the ltm Nickel Heliar 3.5 and like it a lot. There is now a newer M mount version (black and chrome, different appearance) with the same nice optics. I don't believe it has a focus tab, and does focus closer (0.7 meter instead of 1 meter). The front of the lens still rotates as you focus as on old Elmars.

33 minutes ago, Del-Uks said:

I’m surprised nobody mentioned the Summicron-M 50mm f/2 IV (or V)... it’s a phenomenal lens and although I also own a Noct f/1 and a Lux pre-Asph vers. III, I would never get rid of my much loved Cron. 

I didn’t find very significant difference between this lens and Cron OP has mentioned.

6 hours ago, lct said:

Elmar-M 50/2.8...

I'm intrigued by this lens, lct, and have been trying to find out a bit more info from those with experience of the 'old' and the 'new' versions.

Would you say that it has the same underlying characteristics of the original Elmar-M but with the added advantage(?) of a shorter focus-throw and (possibly) more modern coatings? Any other major differences (infinity-lock focus tab apart)?

Philip.