Send M9 myself to NJ or via Leica Los Angeles?

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Though my M9P is still fine, there will come a time when replacement sensors will not be available.  Just as when Leica stated sensors would be replaced gratis, things may change and sensors may run out. 

Is there any advantage of sending the camera through Leica Los Angeles or to just ship it myself.   Up to recently, I lived in NJ so just dropped my MM off last year in person to get its sensor replaced. 

Once my M-E needed new sensor I send it via authorized dealer. I let them deal with communication oddities NJ place is known for.

They are more responsive to the dealer, I think.

Not to mention getting it from the dealer hands, not at home door ,where it is usually dropped with smashing sound by underpaid, always in rush couriers. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Based on my recent experience with Leica NJ, I recommend you send your camera to Leica NJ directly. My M9 body was ready in less than three weeks but it waited awhile for a lens repair I sent in at the same time for actual shipment (my call). Contact Leica customer service and they will email a repair order that will allow you to track your repair. Since UPS required a signature, my package containing the camera was handed me at my door. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings.  The use of Leica Store for sending and receiving equipment to NJ mitigates the risk of any errors with USPost.  Leica Store (DC) handled all transactions with utmost care and professionalism, and I trust all their stores will perform the same.  Regards. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ibramr said:

Greetings.  The use of Leica Store for sending and receiving equipment to NJ mitigates the risk of any errors with USPost.  Leica Store (DC) handled all transactions with utmost care and professionalism, and I trust all their stores will perform the same.  Regards. 

US Stores and NJ Customer Care are now closed due to Covid-19. 

Jeff

On 3/20/2020 at 4:50 PM, Jeff S said:

US Stores and NJ Customer Care are now closed due to Covid-19. 

Jeff

NJ Customer Care is closed, but employees may still answer inquiries as the person I've been contacting is teleworking from home. I have an M-P 240 that I sent in that they shipped to Germany due to not having the parts for the requested services (limited edition titanium), but the factory is completely shut down right now due to the pandemic 

22 minutes ago, Charadis said:

NJ Customer Care is closed, but employees may still answer inquiries as the person I've been contacting is teleworking from home. I have an M-P 240 that I sent in that they shipped to Germany due to not having the parts for the requested services (limited edition titanium), but the factory is completely shut down right now due to the pandemic tt

Sure, but my point is that the work isn't getting done, which was corroborated by your contact.

Jeff

• 4 months later...

I finally dropped off my M9-P at Leica Los Angeles.  They were very professional and I got a receipt documenting all the work (sensor replacement +CLA) to be done.  They will take care of the shipping and I will pick it up at the store in hopefully 5 weeks.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb ymc226:

I finally dropped off my M9-P at Leica Los Angeles.  They were very professional and I got a receipt documenting all the work (sensor replacement +CLA) to be done.  They will take care of the shipping and I will pick it up at the store in hopefully 5 weeks.

How much do you paid for?

• 1 month later...

I just got great news.  Dropped off my M9P at Leica LA on August 6, had confirmatory email from Leica NJ on 8/20 that camera was received waiting to be evaluated.  Another email last week on 9/01 to request approval of repair.  Today, camera already sent.  Just under 5 weeks as accurately estimated by the fine people at Leica LA.