How many M9s with original sensor

Mscott842

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, capelini61 said:

Summing up

Sums don't seem to be your strong point. If as you claim you bought the M9 when it came out in 2009 and you changed the sensor 4 years later, that is 2013. The second generation sensor was not installed until end of 2015 so if your timeline is correct you don't have the latest version. So then we move on to, according to you, 4 years later. 2017. (which fyi is 3 years before now). I'm not sure but I think in 2017 the free exchange program was still running.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ianman said:

A soma não parece ser o seu ponto forte. Se, como você afirma, comprou o M9 quando saiu em 2009 e mudou o sensor 4 anos depois, ou seja, 2013. O sensor de segunda geração não foi instalado até o final de 2015, portanto, se sua linha do tempo estiver correta, você não terá o última versão. Então passamos a, de acordo com você, 4 anos depois. 2017. (que fyi é de 3 anos antes agora). Não tenho certeza, mas acho que em 2017 o programa de troca gratuita ainda estava em execução.

you are absolutely right about the chronology I am very sorry. They exchanged the sensor of my M9 for the same, this way the problem happened again and I still have a corroded sensor, it is not my fault.

No it's not your fault, of course!  They replaced your sensor with a "bad" one back then because they were still working - with Kodak I guess - to find a solution. It was a temporary solution. When your second sensor developed the same issue you should have sent it back to have the newly developed sensor. It depends when that was, but if as you wrote, it was in 2017 then you would still have got it for free.

As I have written elsewhere, I understand your frustration and I still think that Leica should have provided free replacement parts for much longer. The sensor is the heart of a digital camera and the initial design had a fault. It's not normal wear and tear as another member posted. Mine actually developed the problem in 2012 but of course I had no idea at the time. I'm not blaming Leica for the poor design, these things happen and can happen to any company. I do think they handle the whole thing very badly, especially for a company which prides itself on the quality of it's products and services.

It may be worth your while to write to them explaining your situation... who knows.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ianman said:

No it's not your fault, of course!  They replaced your sensor with a "bad" one back then because they were still working - with Kodak I guess - to find a solution. It was a temporary solution. When your second sensor developed the same issue you should have sent it back to have the newly developed sensor. It depends when that was, but if as you wrote, it was in 2017 then you would still have got it for free.

As I have written elsewhere, I understand your frustration and I still think that Leica should have provided free replacement parts for much longer. The sensor is the heart of a digital camera and the initial design had a fault. It's not normal wear and tear as another member posted. Mine actually developed the problem in 2012 but of course I had no idea at the time. I'm not blaming Leica for the poor design, these things happen and can happen to any company. I do think they handle the whole thing very badly, especially for a company which prides itself on the quality of it's products and services.

It may be worth your while to write to them explaining your situation... who knows.

Agree. Free sensor replacements for corroded sensors lasted AFAIK until Leica’s policy beginning 2018...

https://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2018/CCD-sensors-of-the-Leica-M9-M9-P-M-Monochrom-and-M-E-camera-models

I thought Leica should have done more, especially for folks who already had suffered through earlier replacements.  But it was also incumbent upon the owners to communicate on a timely and professional basis with Leica.  The kind of rant we’ve seen here (on 10 separate threads) is unlikely to translate to any favors from Leica, even if the solution should have been formalized, not requiring favors.  A little bit of honey....

Jeff

• 1 month later...
On 11/03/2020 at 08:23, ianman said:

Você não menciona se o sensor foi alterado ou não. Se o sensor já foi trocado, ele vai ficar bem. Caso contrário, ele pode desenvolver o problema a qualquer momento.

Meu conselho é verificar com o vendedor. Se não tiver sido alterado, eu levaria em consideração o custo substancial de trocá-lo em algum momento no futuro. Eu certamente não pagaria muito por uma câmera com sensor original.

I change the sensor once and the new sensor after a few years is corroded and my M9 is finished.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:29 PM, Jeff S said:

Agree. Free sensor replacements for corroded sensors lasted AFAIK until Leica’s policy beginning 2018...

https://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2018/CCD-sensors-of-the-Leica-M9-M9-P-M-Monochrom-and-M-E-camera-models

I thought Leica should have done more, especially for folks who already had suffered through earlier replacements.  But it was also incumbent upon the owners to communicate on a timely and professional basis with Leica.  The kind of rant we’ve seen here (on 10 separate threads) is unlikely to translate to any favors from Leica, even if the solution should have been formalized, not requiring favors.  A little bit of honey....

Jeff

I think Leica knows exactly how many sensors they install and how many (basically all) would fail at some point, and should have got enough replacements for all cameras. Not all sensors corrode at the same time and they simply terminate the program when they saw fit leaving many customers in the dust with $300 paperweights.

The trade-in maybe should include demo or refurbished cameras at much lower prices, like the M9s some of us bought a few months ago, much more easy to swallow than a full retail price.

The rant is justified.

• Like 1