Mscott842

How many M9s with original sensor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to the Leica world (after 30 years a Nikon and Hasselblad devotee) and have a chance a clean to get into an M9-P that appears to have a clean sensor. Are there a percentage of these that don't have corrosion? Are there M9s going strong with original sensor? Or is it only a matter of time before the corrosion presents itself? Much appreciate some input from the veterans!

The percentage of M9s that have been repaired for corroded sensors is unknown, but there are certainly plenty with the original sensor around. My take is: If a sensor hasn't corroded by now, it probably won't.

11 hours ago, Mscott842 said:

have a chance a clean to get into an M9-P that appears to have a clean sensor

You don't mention if the sensor has been changed or not. If the sensor has already been changed it will be fine. If not, it can develop the problem at any time.

My advice would be to check with the seller. If it has not been changed I would factor in the substantial cost of getting it changed at some time in the future. I would certainly not pay much for an original sensor camera.

This is very helpful. Appreciate the comments. Sensor was original. Since I posted, I had the opportunity to switch to a replaced sensor M9-P body for a $1300 bump and decided to go for it and avoid the 1-2 month delay of getting sensor changed. Excited to put the M9 to use. Now just need to source glass. Looking at 35mm Summicron or Summilux as a first lens.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:43 PM, GiorgioNuvolari said:

For what it is worth, my M9-P has just corroded, and is in Wetzlar for repair. Best, GN

How much does Leica charge for this now?

On 3/14/2020 at 12:29 PM, GiorgioNuvolari said:

In Wetzlar EUR1550 incl. VAT. 

Thanks. Maybe more than the camera is worth. I have an M-E (220) but there are no signs at all of these problems. 

17 hours ago, Ivar B said:

Thanks. Maybe more than the camera is worth. I have an M-E (220) but there are no signs at all of these problems. 

Hei Ivar

It is a while ago, but I paid NOK 10 800,- (euro 1080? 😉) one and a half year ago. What I learned was that a seemingly ok sensor ¨got corroded¨ by getting cleaned. I did all sorts of tests along the way and found no trace of corrosion... but when cleaned at the local Leica Store, the sensor was deemed ¨done¨...

My M9 was purchased in 2011 so this incident/finding happened after appr. 7 years in use.

1 hour ago, Stein K S said:

Hei Ivar

It is a while ago, but I paid NOK 10 800,- (euro 1080? 😉) one and a half year ago. What I learned was that a seemingly ok sensor ¨got corroded¨ by getting cleaned. I did all sorts of tests along the way and found no trace of corrosion... but when cleaned at the local Leica Store, the sensor was deemed ¨done¨...

My M9 was purchased in 2011 so this incident/finding happened after appr. 7 years in use.

So the message is - don`t clean it!

25 minutes ago, Ivar B said:

So the message is - don`t clean it!

The message is, and always has been, that the sensor can corrode at any time. Even for an M9 from 2009, if it's not corroded now, it could corrode tomorrow, next week, next month... you get the picture.

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2020 at 12:55 AM, Mscott842 said:

I'm new to the Leica world (after 30 years a Nikon and Hasselblad devotee) and have a chance a clean to get into an M9-P that appears to have a clean sensor. Are there a percentage of these that don't have corrosion? Are there M9s going strong with original sensor? Or is it only a matter of time before the corrosion presents itself? Much appreciate some input from the veterans!

If you can obtain the serial number of the M9 camera you can contact Leica Customer Service. Presume they should have records of camera bodies with replaced sensors. That was what I did a way back when I purchased a second hand Digilux 2.

Best

Edited by rjans
Typo

7 hours ago, rjans said:

If you can obtain the serial number of the M9 camera you can contact Leica Customer Service. Presume they should have records of camera bodies with replaced sensors. That was what I did a way back when I purchased a second hand Digilux 2.

Best

I did and the sensor has not been replaced. It is now €1550.

However, the good news is that, according to Leica, many many sensors are unaffected throughout their lifespan.

I could be wrong but recall reading that some of the early replacement sensors were of the same corroding variety as the ones being replaced. A later "batch" of sensors ensured that they were corrosion free. IIRC there is a means of establishing the sensor "ID", and that only sensors after a certain "ID" were considered corrosion-free.

Gary

sigh...

Delete
Up x2
Down x4
Left x3
Right x3
Info

Go to hardware info, latest sensor ID is 15 (anyway it is on mine changed in 2016)

7 hours ago, ianman said:

sigh...

Delete
Up x2
Down x4
Left x3
Right x3
Info

Go to hardware info, latest sensor ID is 15 (anyway it is on mine changed in 2016)

Hi, just bought a used M9 and I saw the CCD ID is 11, so it has been changed on 2011 ?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, vukkaa said:

Hi, just bought a used M9 and I saw the CCD ID is 11, so it has been changed on 2011 ?

Thanks!

Hello,

Maybe, maybe not. If you are asking if there is a correlation between the CCD ID and the year, I would say no.

The new generation sensor became available (IIRC) late 2015. Did the seller give you a document from Leica stating that the sensor has been changed? Did the seller tell you the sensor has been changed?

The best way to be 100% certain is to send an email to Leica Customer Service, with the serial number of the M9 and ask them.

On 10/03/2020 at 20:55, Mscott842 said:

Sou novo no mundo da Leica (depois de 30 anos devoto pela Nikon e Hasselblad) e tenho a chance de entrar em uma M9-P que parece ter um sensor limpo. Existe uma porcentagem desses que não possuem corrosão? Existem M9s fortes com o sensor original? Ou é apenas uma questão de tempo até que a corrosão se apresente? Aprecio muito algumas contribuições dos veteranos!

I have had an M7 for many years and have never had a problem. Through this experience I acquired M9 right after its launch. After 4 years the sensor showed corrosion, so I sent it to the USA to change it (I live in Brazil), I paid for the shipping and the sensor was replaced under warranty. After 4 years of placing a sensor of a  new generation  but the  corrosion  came back just like that. Now Leica says it is not responsible and that at the moment it has a third generation sensor but I have to pay to change it. Summing up; Russian roulette. If you want to invest in an expensive camera and if you have problems, you will not have the  Leica warranty .

52 minutes ago, capelini61 said:

I have had an M7 for many years and have never had a problem. Through this experience I acquired M9 right after its launch. After 4 years the sensor showed corrosion, so I sent it to the USA to change it (I live in Brazil), I paid for the shipping and the sensor was replaced under warranty. After 4 years of placing a sensor of a  new generation  but the  corrosion  came back just like that. Now Leica says it is not responsible and that at the moment it has a third generation sensor but I have to pay to change it. Summing up; Russian roulette. If you want to invest in an expensive camera and if you have problems, you will not have the  Leica warranty .

in·ces·sant
/inˈses(ə)nt/

adjective

1. (of something regarded as unpleasant) continuing without pause or interruption.
    "the incessant beat of the music"

Similar:
    ceaseless

unceasing

No you didn’t get it replaced with a second generation. It was replaced in kind AFTER the warranty expired. Leica did this as a goodwill gesture. The Econ’s generation with the net coatings on the cover glass was the fix. Leica extended the warranty to five years for replacement.