Leica ME typ 240 need help

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks it´s been years that my Leica X vario was stolen, and I always have missed it.

I´m ready to buy a Leica M E (typ 240) but my big concern is about lenses. I don´t have the founds to buy leica glass for the moment, so I´m thinking about Zeiss.

I could buy second hand Zeiss ZM buy first the biogon 35mm 2.8 and them in next steps the 50 plannar, the 21 biogon 2.8 and the last the Tele-Tessar T* 4/85 ZM

I suppose that some of you this glass so; how they perform with the M 240?. It´s necessary to codify them or are in camera matches with leica glass?. Have this lens mount grooves to paint the code directly the code in it?.

I´m thinking also in the Summicrons c 40 and the Leica Elmar c 90mm or the Rockor equivalents.

Thank you very much for your help¡.

The Biogon 35/2.8 works fine on my M240. It has a groove for 6-bit coding which is not necessary at all to me. C lenses and Rokkor equiv. work fine too but they have no groove although i don't feel coding necessary either on these lenses. Beware that 40/2 lenses trigger 50mm frame lines on the M240 but it is not a problem with the EVF of course.

36 minutes ago, lct said:

The Biogon 35/2.8 works fine on my M240. It has a groove for 6-bit coding which is not necessary at all to me. C lenses and Rokkor equiv. work fine too but they have no groove although i don't feel coding necessary either on these lenses. Beware that 40/2 lenses trigger 50mm frame lines on the M240 but it is not a problem with the EVF of course.

Thank you very much lct¡

20 minutes ago, 250swb said:

For Voigtlander LTM lenses all you need to do is buy an adapter with coding rebates already machined into the flange [...]

With little chance to work in my experience, in fact none on my M240 and digital CL but i had no luck i guess. Got good results with the black Rayqual adapters and white paint though.

You should BY ALL MEANS code the Zeiss 21mm 2.8, or remember to enter the lens model (I use 11134) manually in the menu every time you put it on.
The coding fixes the vignetting and slight purple fringe of the lens if used without it. There is a thread where I show the super simple coding of the 21:

Also - with budget in mind take a good look at the excellent M-Hexanon lenses! Thank me later.

Edited by Al Brown

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

All the newer Zeiss and Voigtlander M mount lenses have grooves machined into the flange ready to take dots of paint. For Voigtlander LTM lenses all you need to do is buy an adapter with coding rebates already machined into the flange. Both are excellent choices.

Thank you very much for your help¡¡

1 hour ago, lct said:

With little chance to work in my experience, in fact none on my M240 and digital CL but i had no luck i guess. Got good results with the black Rayqual adapters and white paint though.

Lct it seems you have the 35mm ultron 2.0 and the biogon 35mm 2.8. I usually shoot street and B&W if you have to choose one of those???

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

You should BY ALL MEANS code the Zeiss 21mm 2.8, or remember to enter the lens model (I use 11134) manually in the menu every time you put it on.
The coding fixes the vignetting and slight purple fringe of the lens if used without it. There is a thread where I show the super simple coding of the 21:

Also - with budget in mind take a good look at the excellent M-Hexanon lenses! Thank me later.

Thank you very much Al for your advices and links¡¡ I have spend a lot of time searching the web .

12 minutes ago, Enrique Santa said:

Lct it seems you have the 35mm ultron 2.0 and the biogon 35mm 2.8. I usually shoot street and B&W if you have to choose one of those???

Good question but bad answer for you i fear as i use only the Ultron 35/2 on my digital CL. Assuming it renders the same on the M240 i'd keep it if i needed f/2 but otherwise the Biogon 35/2.8 has a better resistance to flare and a smoother bokeh. Please note that i'm not unbiased here since the Biogon is my favorite 35 irrespective of price among "slow" contrasty lenses. Depends also on lenses you will choose to complement it. FWIW the Biogon 35/2.8 matches well another favorite of mine the Elmar-M 50/2.8.

1 hour ago, lct said:

Yes Rayqual do make good stuff, but then so do Kipon who make an adapter that takes a code. See, there you go, the glass goes from half empty to half full. 

2 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Yes Rayqual do make good stuff, but then so do Kipon who make an adapter that takes a code. See, there you go, the glass goes from half empty to half full. 

Neither Kipon nor Metabones adapters did it for me so i cannot advise coded adapters for LTM lenses so far but it may be just me :cool:.

34 minutes ago, lct said:

Good question but bad answer for you i fear as i use only the Ultron 35/2 on my digital CL. Assuming it renders the same on the M240 i'd keep it if i needed f/2 but otherwise the Biogon 35/2.8 has a better resistance to flare and a smoother bokeh. Please note that i'm not unbiased here since the Biogon is my favorite 35 irrespective of price among "slow" contrasty lenses. Depends also on lenses you will choose to complement it. FWIW the Biogon 35/2.8 matches well another favorite of mine the Elmar-M 50/2.8.

Thank you very Much¡¡

Why not buy a nice "user grade"  Leica lens. Just look around the sites of reliable dealers:

For instance - In your position I would buy this one straight away:

https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/m-lenses/15903-leitz-summicron-50mm-f2-m.html

It has "light marks"  I guarantee you that it will not affect the image quality one bit and you will probably be hardly able to see them.