M10 Monochrom and X1D II

Funny. I have q2 and m246 monochrom and am very happy. I am seriously considering the hasselblad as well! So there must be others out there with the same idea. I have pretty much shot the m7 for many years till last year. Do you find the x1dii pretty usable? I’m no speed demon and am considering It for general use, landscape, and to take to Africa for a trip.  

2 hours ago, Mt83073 said:

Funny. I have q2 and m246 monochrom and am very happy. I am seriously considering the hasselblad as well! So there must be others out there with the same idea. I have pretty much shot the m7 for many years till last year. Do you find the x1dii pretty usable? I’m no speed demon and am considering It for general use, landscape, and to take to Africa for a trip.  

I've been mostly using it for live music and a tiny bit of street photography, but where I particularly plan to make the most of it is for portraits (which is why I have the 80/135) - almost bought a XCD 30mm a few times, but that sets me back ~£2000 from buying an M10M :) so I have resisted so far.

All live music with XCD 80mm, so whilst there are faster cameras - it's usable and with landscapes you've no problem.
https://gallery.danielcook.com/gtopenmic-15/

Portraits with the XCD 135mm
https://gallery.danielcook.com/gtportraitcollection/

Few mixed photos street/portraits
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=91635781%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=x1d

I figured the M10M can take over from the Q2, then later I'll get a wide for the X1D II

Edited by dancook
35 minutes ago, dancook said:

I've been mostly using it for live music and a tiny bit of street photography, but where I particularly plan to make the most of it is for portraits (which is why I have the 80/135) - almost bought a XCD 30mm a few times, but that sets me back ~£2000 from buying an M10M :) so I have resisted so far.

All live music with XCD 80mm, so whilst there are faster cameras - it's usable and with landscapes you've no problem.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=91635781%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=x1d

I figured the M10M can take over from the Q2, then later I'll get a wide for the X1D II

Thanks for your response. I think I will pull the trigger on it in the near future. Your galleries are lovely. Thanks for sharing. I very much am looking at the 135/converter for my trip and the new 45. Ill add a wide angle later as I have the 16-18-21 now. I’ll probably trade the q2 for the body etc.  And I will convert to the m10 m one day. For now I enjoy the m246 too much to depart with it. 
mark 

3 minutes ago, Mt83073 said:

Thanks for your response. I think I will pull the trigger on it in the near future. Your galleries are lovely. Thanks for sharing. I very much am looking at the 135/converter for my trip and the new 45. Ill add a wide angle later as I have the 16-18-21 now. I’ll probably trade the q2 for the body etc.  And I will convert to the m10 m one day. For now I enjoy the m246 too much to depart with it. 
mark 

I have my 1.7x TC on ebay, it seems unlikely I'll get much use of it.

I recently shot a wedding with the X1D(mk1) and and M10P. 

The X1D package remains my go to for meeting client needs... it is so malleable in post. But compared to the M10M (or any current Leica) it feels very slow and very loud. It's essentially a tricked up landscape camera. It is absolutely fine for a "look at me, wait a moment, hold that pose, do this, pretend to just talk to each other" shots, but the M10M (and any other current generation Leica) leaves it absolutely dead for capturing an unposed moment. 

That said, the X1D sensor is so much better that you'll still use it where you have control over the shot. Very different cameras. If I could only have one it would be a Leica M... probably an M10P. But for now I'm very pleased with the stunning quality of the X1D output and the capture the moment (or stunning stage shot ability) in B&W output of the M10M. 

Am 9.3.2020 um 20:10 schrieb dancook:

Does anyone rock this combo? Any thoughts?

I suspect Steve Huff would be onboard.

currently have Q2 and X1D II for personal cameras, but keen on Monochrom.

I totally agree with the statement in #9.  The B&W output of the X1D II is fantastic and your gallery shows it but I love to use the M10 Monochrom. I haven’t done direct comparisons for IQ but the M10M is sooo much fun to shoot.  The last five here are from yesterday: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-LZG7pV/

It’s my favorite camera. 

32 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

I totally agree with the statement in #9.  The B&W output of the X1D II is fantastic and your gallery shows it but I love to use the M10 Monochrom. I haven’t done direct comparisons for IQ but the M10M is sooo much fun to shoot.  The last five here are from yesterday: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-LZG7pV/

It’s my favorite camera. 

What lenses  are you shooting there?

I had to get plans for 28mm 1.4, but sometimes think a 50mm 1.4/2.0 would be nice to get too - but then i realise these things cost money  :D and it throws a spanner into my way of thinking

Edited by dancook
Gerade eben schrieb dancook:

What lens  are you shooting there?

I had to get plans for 28mm 1.4, but sometimes think a 50mm 1.4/2.0 would be nice to get too - but then i realise these things cost money  :D and it throws a spanner into my way of thinking

Tried the 50 Noctilux wide open for the first time.  I wanted to see how malleable the ISO 160 M10M files in bright sunlight would be without using an ND filter, which I couldn’t because a yellow filter was mounted on the lens (too much vignetting otherwise).  The M10 would definitely have required an ND filter in these situations because it needs to be shot at ISO 200, at least, to bring back highlight detail.  ISO 100 on the M10 is useless for detail recovery when highlights look blown, as Jono showed.

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Tried the 50 Noctilux wide open for the first time.  I wanted to see how malleable the ISO 160 M10M files in bright sunlight would be without using an ND filter, which I couldn’t because a yellow filter was mounted on the lens (too much vignetting otherwise).  The M10 would definitely have required an ND filter in these situations because it needs to be shot at ISO 200, at least, to bring back highlight detail.  ISO 100 on the M10 is useless for detail recovery when highlights look blown, as Jono showed.

I have been using Yellow 8 filters instead of Yellow 5 filters to get a little more light blockage, but in really bright sunlight, even at ISO 160 it seems to be overexposed...  Shade on cloudy days, wide open is easy.  Note that I am also using the Noctilux 1.0 v1., not the 0.95.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb davidmknoble:

I have been using Yellow 8 filters instead of Yellow 5 filters to get a little more light blockage, but in really bright sunlight, even at ISO 160 it seems to be overexposed...  Shade on cloudy days, wide open is easy.  Note that I am also using the Noctilux 1.0 v1., not the 0.95.

Yellow 8 equivalent is what I used.  It results in about one stop reduction in light.  For extremely bright light not enough, agreed. 

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I'm in the process of switching over to the Fuji GFX 50R for landscape and (maybe) more controlled studio-type shooting.  I shoot most of my dailies with the M10 and M10M (sometimes the Q2 when I want a really wide shot).  I'm new to medium format but already I like the fidelity and dynamic range.  The X1DII sensor I believe is an improvement over the Fuji's, so I imagine you could have just about every scenario covered with a medium format and a rangefinder.  I find that I do and the M10 Monochrom is an insane camera, both in price and performance.

Now, if I could find a way to unload the D850, Z6, and all of my Nikon glass, I'd be set 😃

On 3/12/2020 at 9:34 PM, dancook said:

Really impressive set of photos.  I've also been thinking about the X1D but recently added the M10-M so funds are stretched!  I also have the Q2 and find that this for colour and the M10-M for B&W make a good combination.  My other camera, M10-D, is not being used so much now, but I can't bring myself to sell it.

9 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

Really impressive set of photos.  I've also been thinking about the X1D but recently added the M10-M so funds are stretched!  I also have the Q2 and find that this for colour and the M10-M for B&W make a good combination.  My other camera, M10-D, is not being used so much now, but I can't bring myself to sell it.

Thanks

Well I did sell my Leica Q2, but as a self-employed school event photographer with no work coming in (thanks Covid-19), now is not the time to spend £7k + lens on a new camera.

I just hope this is over before I eat too much into my savings and can still afford the camera!

On the flip-side I don't have to worry about mortgage and food payments for a while.

I must admit I was surprised to see this as a topic. I shoot the X1d 50ii and I have an M10M and an M10.  They all are amazing machines. The Hassel is my go to landscape and my sometimes studio camera (For still portraits, not models flinging their head around, for that I use a D5)The Hassel is slow like a Leica but in a different way. Screen blackout is lengthy , AF is slow, MF has no scales on the lens or in body  so you have to learn your lens and DOF/Hyper focal length.  Images and colors are beyond pleasing.   As far a dynamic range, the Hassel wins, but not a ton over the m10m, it destroys the M10 in that department.   The M10 M gets a little more HD look when you really boost the shadows, the Hasselblad keeps a more natural look when you pull shadows and you have miles of leverage in the highlights that you don’t on either Leica. Although the M10M is way more forgiving in the highlights than the M10.  The Hasselblad body is beyond a joy to hold and shoot.  They all have their strengths and weaknesses.   I enjoy them all for what they can do.  Be healthy everyone! 🙏