CL vs iPhone11Pro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

I seem big blotches on the leatherette around the Hasselblad logo of the back that look to be something other than finger marks.

Nice interesting back/camera ; as former SWC/M user it must be strange not having an OVF to frame up with.

Okay, I see that. I probably pulled up the shadows too hard ... contrasty light, black subject, etc; I was saving the highlights on exposure. Have to look at the original ... yes, it was ISO 1000, way out of bounds for quality iPhone imaging (20-50 is the sensible ISO range). Only so much one can expect. :) 

The LCD works very well as a viewfinder and much more flexible than the SWC's viewfinder (never mind full frame coverage and in-viewfinder level). Hasseblad also showed a prototype mount and eye level optical viewfinder attachment, along with a control grip, at announcement time ... I suspect these bits will all be available at some point in the near future. (I never used the viewfinder with my SWC cameras very much. For street work, I knew the framing and just pointed; for precision work, I used the ground glass back to focus and frame, swapped the film back into place as needed. I usually carried it with the finder removed as it was smaller and handier that way.)

G

• Like 1

As example of the iPhone 11 Pro vs Leica CL/Color Skopar 28mm imaging differences, here are two photos taken with the two different cameras yesterday: It was build day for my new bike. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SBG beauty shot – Santa Clara 2020
iPhone 11 Pro - 2x ISO 100 @ f/2 @ 1/121 sec

Here's the builder, Jake (my buddy at the Summit Bicycles shop who built it for me), presenting the completed bike to me: 

Jake and the SBG – Santa Clara 2020
Leica CL + Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 - ISO 2000 @ f/5.6 @ 1/50

There is without a doubt a difference ... But that doesn't mean that either photo is awful. 🙂

G

Edited by ramarren

I had to admit that the iPhone 11S that I upgraded to takes very nice pictures and the zoom to wide angle trick works very well. Personally I don't like taking photos with the phone nearly as much as do with any "real" camera let alone the CL I purchased recently. But as much as I hate to admit it, it does allow me to take some nice photographs and the huge advantage it provides is that it's right there when I want to capture an image I see wherever I might be.

However, there's no comparison with the feeling of holding the viewfinder to my eye, and composing the shot... Also, I haven't trie to crop the iPhone photos or to view them in a large screen. I have no idea how they'll look outside the phone screen or the Facebook app in my computer. The biggest drawback of the iPhone is also it's great advantage. It's relatively small so you can always carry it (and I always have it with me) but its size and having to look in the screen to compose the shots is a really unpleasant experience for me.

I enjoy shooting with the CL and using my M lenses as well as the 18mm kit lens that came with it. I also getting better images as I get more used to it. In comparison with my m240 though, the CL has a similar sort of advantages/disadvantages. The small form and light weight makes it easier to carry (and the AF wit native lenses is nice too), but again, the more solid and heavy M240 makes it much easier (for me) to focus, shoot and acquire nice sharp images at low shutter speeds. It's much more difficult for me to hold the CL steady and not get blurred images when shooting with manual focus using M lenses.