CL vs iPhone11Pro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No contest really - for longer lenses, I would not even consider the thing as a backup.

iPhone pressed against the window - the thing is hard to hold steady @ 10x !

CL + 55-135

First CL and 55-135 @ 135

Second:1Phone @ about 8x to match the FOV of the 135 approximately:

Third: 135 cropped to match  (more or less) iPhone.

Fourth  iPhone @ 10x

I did not even bother to do 100% crops...

• Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The keys to getting the best results from an iPhone 11 Pro are 

1. put the phone on a stand or tripod to eliminate camera movement
  2. use as low an ISO as possible

Hand-held, it's very difficult to hold an iPhone still enough for best result. Fitted to a tripod makes all the difference in the world. 

I made that one this morning with the iPhone 11 Pro fitted to a small table-top tripod. It's stunningly sharp. 

But it doesn't compete with a Leica CL (or that Hasselblad 907x SE) at all... They're simply in a different plane of capability entirely. :D 

G

Edited by ramarren

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I quite agree, and I mentioned it in my post, but I did press it firmly against a window.   I find the camera considerably better at lesser magnification. I think that these 10x and 8x shots show far too much electronic cooking.

22 minutes ago, ramarren said:

The keys to getting the best results from an iPhone 11 Pro are 

1. put the phone on a stand or tripod to eliminate camera movement
  2. use as low an ISO as possible

Hand-held, it's very difficult to hold an iPhone still enough for best result. Fitted to a tripod makes all the difference in the world. 

I made that one this morning with the iPhone 11 Pro fitted to a small table-top tripod. It's stunningly sharp. 

But it doesn't compete with a Leica CL (or that Hasselblad 907x SE) at all... They're simply in a different plane of capability entirely. :D 

G

Sharp, but the color noise there is crying out for manual ISO control.

Absolutely agree with the conclusions. I’d never think of my iPhone 11 Pro anywhere near the IQ of my Q2. However, it is excellent at travel documentary snapshots and as an easy grab and go camera. The Night Mode is pretty amazing since it stabilizes the image while it does multi-second exposures. Not for printing large, but still fun. 

The smartphones are a challenge for the classic cameras. In the sense of market and innovation leadership. It is a good move of Leica to hire more in electronic knowhow. What is against electronic cooking, the picture is the goal. And what will be more interesting in the future: electronic or nostalgic cooking?

From my voyage to Nice I got from co-travellers iPhone pictures. For my purpose they are as good as my APS pictures.

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

I quite agree, and I mentioned it in my post, but I did press it firmly against a window.   I find the camera considerably better at lesser magnification. I think that these 10x and 8x shots show far too much electronic cooking.

Digital zoom always produces a lot of noise. Always. That's why I bought the Moment 58mm accessory lens: real optics and obtain the full resolution of whichever camera you use it on. 

7 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Sharp, but the color noise there is crying out for manual ISO control.

I dunno. I don't see much color noise in the photo I posted. Where? I see some color reflections from things on my desk but no color noise... ??

Of course, if I was doing real work with it, I'd use the Moment camera app which has manual ISO control and outputs DNG raw files. Like for this photo: 

Edited by ramarren

6 minutes ago, ramarren said:

Digital zoom always produces a lot of noise. Always. That's why I bought the Moment 58mm accessory lens: real optics and obtain the full resolution of whichever camera you use it on. 

I don't know to what extent the 10x zoom is digital, as the camera has three lenses.

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I don't know to what extent the 10x zoom is digital, as the camera has three lenses.

Anything more than 2x is digital zoom.

The three cameras on the iPhone 11 Pro have lenses that enable .5x (about 18mm eqFOV), 1x (about 28mm eqFOV) and 2x (about 55mm eqFOV). Anything else is interpolation and digital zoom. If you add the Moment 58mm lens to the 2x camera, you get essentially about a 105mm lens, or 4x in the nomenclature of these cameras. For still photography, it's best to stick with the base focal lengths, use a camera app that allows capture in raw format, and do your own image processing. Both Manual Camera and the Moment camera app allow capture in raw format and much more control over explicit ISO and focus settings than the Camera app. 

Using an iPhone as a serious camera requires the same kind of study and work as using a subminiature camera did in film days. The constraints on its capabilities are quite similar, except for the ability to manipulate things digitally. Tiny sensor, limited aperture control, limited sensitivity, etc. :)

G

• Thanks 1

I'm curious as to why you expected any different? If you were comparing both at the same focal length (i.e. not with digital zoom) it would be a fairer fight - and at 100% I think most people could tell the difference.

It's a bit like racing a Porsche 911 against a Nissan Micra then berating the Nissan for not performing better.

However the handheld night modes of the iPhone and Pixel really are very good. 

This is quite an interesting video:

Just remind, the first should come from CL and the second should come from IPhone.

First: 1Phone @ about 8x to match the FOV of the 135 approximately:

second: CL and 55-135 @ 135

third: 135 cropped to match  (more or less) iPhone.

fourth  iPhone @ 10x

6 hours ago, Leon Sung said:

Just remind, the first should come from CL and the second should come from IPhone.

First: 1Phone @ about 8x to match the FOV of the 135 approximately:

second: CL and 55-135 @ 135

third: 135 cropped to match  (more or less) iPhone.

fourth  iPhone @ 10x

Correct; edited

huge difference for these 2 images IMO.

I think the iphone is great because you have it with you al the time and now with 3 focal length its even better.

For me it would not replace a real camera. Handling alone (viewfinder for example) reason alone. But I do not doubt the iphone can produce quite good IQ. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ramarren said:

I dunno. I don't see much color noise in the photo I posted. Where? I see some color reflections from things on my desk but no color noise... ??

I seem big blotches on the leatherette around the Hasselblad logo of the back that look to be something other than finger marks.

Nice interesting back/camera ; as former SWC/M user it must be strange not having an OVF to frame up with.

CL & iphone11pro makes sense. The "vs" is unfair to the tiny sensor cam in the portable computer. In my case the iphone11pro camera relegated my Sony RX100VI into the closet. The CL with M-lenses and the 55-135mm plays in a different league.