Who is S for?

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, djmay said:

From my S3 review:

Who should use the S3?

1. Photographers that choose image quality as one of their highest priorities. This includes landscape, architecture, portrait, fashion and product photography.
  2. Photographers that do not want to fuss with their equipment. The simplicity of the S3 eliminates distractions due to equipment.
  3. Photographers that work with negatives, transparencies and flat art reproduction.
  4. Photographers that print their work. The physical ouput is where the image quality can be clearly seen.
  5. Photographers that are not trying to work at high speed. That means that if one is looking for 10 frames per second, the S3 is probably not the appropriate camera.

Thanks, this helps. I'm 1, 2, 4 & 5, but regarding 2 - I though I already have the simplicity with my SL? No?

Nothing anyone says can convince you one way or the other. Try both. They are very different systems. I have an SL (v. 1), Fuji GFX 100, and an S(007). The Fuji is more capable in almost every way. At 120mm or less, I prefer using the S, and its output makes me smile. What is that worth?

Matt, I know that feeling :) I have Fuji X100f, Panasonic S1H and Leica SL which makes me smile and that's the only camera I really enjoy just holding in hands.

I agree that the S, with S lenses processes incredible images.  I enjoy the M and SL, but the S "Paints a canvas" whereas the other bodies, for me, take great photographs.  For me, the S is artistic and the others photographic.

I absolutely love that statement, but how can I test and.prove it myself without spending $30k for the body and one lens :) Is there famous photographer out there shooting on S that I can see and feel what you just said?

lens adapters - use existing M, R, S lenses to add
- main or second body - can be used with an M system and lenses, or S system and lenses

Can you attach SL lenses on S and how does it perform?

Edited by hirohhhh

26 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

Thanks, this helps. I'm 1, 2, 4 & 5, but regarding 2 - I though I already have the simplicity with my SL? No?

Matt, I know that feeling :) I have Fuji X100f, Panasonic S1H and Leica SL which makes me smile and that's the only camera I really enjoy just holding in hands.

I absolutely love that statement, but how can I test and.prove it myself without spending $30k for the body and one lens :) Is there famous photographer out there shooting on S that I can see and feel what you just said?

Can you attach SL lenses on S and how does it perform?

To the latter: (Unfortunately) No. 

35 minutes ago, John McMaster said:

Why do they have to be famous? 

Web shows little compared to a large print....

john

By famous I meant a good photographer that uses the potential of the camera, not only the snapshots from the camera reviews. Thanks, will check this out this thread.

2 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

By famous I meant a good photographer that uses the potential of the camera, not only the snapshots from the camera reviews. Thanks, will check this out this thread.

The businesses and art lovers, who have purchased my prints, will be disappointed that they have spent good money on snapshots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, John McMaster said:

Why do they have to be famous? 

Web shows little compared to a large print....

john

As you pointed out, it's hard to tell based on the web pictures. I can't say "yeah, that's exactly the feel of Leica S". Maybe it's just me and my eye is not trained, but if you tell me these are SL photos, I'd totally believe you.

Wow, there's a magazine for a particular camera model! That's something :) These images are beautiful and kinda soft. Now, is this the style of these particular photographers, or is that "the feel" of model S (not Tesla)?

Edited by hirohhhh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hirohhhh said:

I'm afraid I am not famous.  I am an amateur that spends a lot of my free time working in photography because I absolutely love it.  Here is an image with the S007 that LFI granted a master shot, https://www.davidknoble.life/galleries/20-recognized-work/20-LFI-Mastershots/#gallery-6  which I think I posted here in another post.  Additionally, on my website, the Iceland shots were all from the S007 (https://www.davidknoble.life/galleries/30-Travels/Iceland/).  But, the sunset I've printed at 17"x22" and the reflection of the water (6 or 8 second exposure I forget which) is a good example of why I use the term "Paint on canvas."  I don't know if that helps answer your question or not... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

As you pointed out, it's hard to tell based on the web pictures. I can't say "yeah, that's exactly the feel of Leica S". Maybe it's just me and my eye is not trained, but if you tell me these are SL photos, I'd totally believe you.

why don't you rent a Leica S007 with a few lenses for a day and test it out :)

• Like 1

S3 is for those who think the lockdowns will get worse, store closures will expand beyond Apple and Nike, extend beyond March 27th, public gatherings above five people will be forbidden, or, worse, one won’t be able to leave one’s home at all for weeks except to go on short shopping trips.

Edited by Chaemono

On 3/15/2020 at 8:38 AM, Chaemono said:

S3 is for those who think the lockdowns will get worse, store closures will expand beyond Apple and Nike, extend beyond March 27th, public gatherings above five people will be forbidden, or, worse, one won’t be able to leave one’s home at all for weeks except to go on short shopping trips.

So you're getting one right?:)