The S3 pricing is a mistake

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I cannot remember that Leica made a mistake in pricing ever. Some people have had opinions about the M5 and the R8, but that was not about their price but about the concept in the context of the market at that time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Strange, some people will go out and never whine about the cost of a high end Phase One or Hasselblad cameras or backs that depreciate just as fast if not faster.

In my opinion, less people outside the professional photographers circle desire to own a Phase One or Hasselblad DSLR. Common Leica customers want their their S cameras cost less than 3 times more than their SL2. If the S3 costs two times the SL2 or a little less, the S3 will become an object of desire for many more people within the Leica world. 

If there is a thing like a common Leica customer. 
IMHO

Yevgeny

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, paulsydaus said:

A total guess, but maybe 1000 over the total lifetime of the product...

The interesting question might be, how many S007's were made and sold? That would tell you what level of demand there was from the S006 to the S007 (CCD to CMOS, higher ISO, etc.).

I think the Leica S3 pricing is fair. When you price out a full loaded Hasselblad body (with the H mount) which isn't the compact version it's half the price easily.

And with the adapters the S system is quite the bargain. I own the Contax 645 film system and am looking at the S to use my C645 lenses digitallly.

On 3/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, davidmknoble said:

The interesting question might be, how many S007's were made and sold? That would tell you what level of demand there was from the S006 to the S007 (CCD to CMOS, higher ISO, etc.).

Agree.  I don’t know why companies are so secretive with some of this information except when sales are beyond expectations.  Kind of points to the real reason being more related to egos than economics.