the Leica Box colors and printing types through the years

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe that’s why the lens is such a tight fit in the box, the lens and box did not originally belong together?

I posted the above a minute ago and then took another look at the box. The serial number on the bottom of the box matches the lens. So maybe just the illustration on the box is wrong?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pyrogallol

11 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Maybe that’s why the lens is such a tight fit in the box, the lens and box did not originally belong together?

I posted the above a minute ago and then took another look at the box. The serial number on the bottom of the box matches the lens. So maybe just the illustration on the box is wrong?

Sorry... .. I made a wrong observation, caused by perspective... 😁 really looked the size of a short-mount... but it's the image of a normal - long mount Summicron, indeed... (even if not exactly with the finshing of the lens into ... no partial knurling on the base... well, clearly they ordered a lot of boxes in advance to their provider...)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

... another boxed Summicron 90 ... the odd short-lived version with the f/stop ring that "disappeared" with hood retracted...

c

"Canada" no more on the top Leitz  logo  but is written on sides... 

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Once again a topic here led me to buy something. On my daily trawl of the well known internet auction site I came across a crocodile filter box, with filter. Cheap and it was not far from home, not that that mattered as it was posted to me.

It goes nicely with the 35mm Elmar I bought from a real auction last week, though even a real auction has to be held as internet only these days with no-contact collection.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

some Leica boxes for early lenses, the older ones have no inscription. The color is dark red but all have purple velvet inside. I would date these boxes between 1931 and 1933.

• Like 3

I've just opened my accessories drawer and the first thing I saw was this croc box for a FIOLA slip on filter. It is said to be a UVa filter, but the colour is slightly yellow/green. Laney said it was from 1931, so the croc boxes were still being used at that stage. The most distinctive feature is the pink cover sheet on the croc box.

William

• Like 1

this is my contribution to early and unusual boxes - for IA

Box itself is not unusual, but the stamps on the bottom.....

some few IA were produced with the strap lugs and this is stamped (Ösenkamera), I have seen only one more box with thew stamp like this
Just wonder if Alan might have any IA with lugs in his collection 🙂

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, jerzy said:

this is my contribution to early and unusual boxes - for IA

Box itself is not unusual, but the stamps on the bottom.....

some few IA were produced with the strap lugs and this is stamped (Ösenkamera), I have seen only one more box with thew stamp like this
Just wonder if Alan might have any IA with lugs in his collection 🙂

... and the product code was LOSSA ?  Indeed, never read about this code. 😉

vor 2 Stunden schrieb luigi bertolotti:

... and the product code was LOSSA ?  Indeed, never read about this code. 😉

code was Lessa, same as for some IA without lugs. Delivery records for cameras with lugs show handwrtitten "Ösen" close to product code. Some information about IA with lugs (factory installed) may be found in Vidom 104. Willy Hahne did not took information about lugs into his list of serial numbers (Band I). Btw, these lugs are  very similar to later lugs from III, are just placed a bit lower

1 hour ago, jerzy said:

Btw, these lugs are  very similar to later lugs from III, are just placed a bit lower

1 hour ago, jerzy said:

would be great to see, they are really rare as far as I have heard

Here you are, Jerzy. This is I Model A with SN 11270 with lugs which look to be similar to the later ones on the Model III, except that these are mounted a little further down. I got this camera in a set with an ETRIN case, a FODIS rangefinder and a cardboard tube  with two FILCAS, an A and a B. The camera has a dimpled mushroom shutter button. I only discovered recently that the camera needs a shutter service/CLA.

Over to you, Jerzy.

William

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jerzy said:

code was Lessa, same as for some IA without lugs. Delivery records for cameras with lugs show handwrtitten "Ösen" close to product code. Some information about IA with lugs (factory installed) may be found in Vidom 104. Willy Hahne did not took information about lugs into his list of serial numbers (Band I). Btw, these lugs are  very similar to later lugs from III, are just placed a bit lower

Ok... I misread the old stamp ... LESSA is reknown, indeed (I would have been surprised should they had done a code for 1A with lugs...)

1 minute ago, jerzy said:

looks good your Leica, William. Did you check with Leica Archive if thuius was originally lugs cameraß The few which I know/have seen have serials in the range 3xxxx-4xxxx

Will do. I never thought anything of it until today. I had noted that my one was much earlier than the one that was in the box which is shown above. I did not get a box, it came in the ETRIN case. I should have mentioned that the FODIS/FODUA which came with the camera has no serial number, but has got the condenser logo. There is a clip inside the lid of the ETRIN for carrying it. I suspect that this was sold as a set and would originally have been in a maroon box containing all of the bits and pieces. I see that I posted a picture of the set before on this forum. See the set on the right in this photo.

William 

• Like 3

Thank you all for your comments.

According to me the box in the previous comment is the style 11 Lighter red white circle red text and it was used between 1965 and 1988.

See pictures on my website https://www.aleica.nl/en/leica-fact-24-leica-boxes-may-be-used-determine-age-accessory and below.

Does anyone know if there is a kind of database/website where pictures of Leica boxes are collected and made visible? On de Leica forum website (Leica wiki) I haven't found this.

Would it be a good idea to add this to the Leica Forum website. This could be a selection of the mainstream types used by Leitz, but als special packaging like Leits NY, for special editions of cameras etc. Some of the photos added to this item could be added.

• Like 2

This more or less fits with what I have. The one that throws me a bit is the brown box with an orange circle as I have never seen one before. I would have no problem about this being on the site, provided that there is a caveat that, as with everything associated with Leica, there can be exceptions. I suppose the person to ask is jc_braconi who is the Moderator here.

William

Here is what I can offer. 

On the left, Model Ic (61023) with low mount strap lugs, on the right two original model IA cameras  ( 27125 and 28051) that were later upgraded to rangefinder status but strap lugs were not added. I guess this was before the model III was available. Maybe my Ic was an "Osen".

On the left the Ic, 61023 with low strap lugs, and on the right model IA (25794)with retrofitted strap lugs at normal, high location. Probably an entire new shell was used, as the baseplate pin is of the post 109xxx size.

It is quite interesting, if Leitz did install low strap lugs on cameras in the 1920's, as the factory records seem to show. By 1933, the model III being the top of the line, all received the high mount strap lugs. Low mount strap lugs, would seem to be rare, as any cameras  undergoing an upgrade  would likely have the higher mount. More study is needed.

There seems to be a large number of model IA cameras that were upgraded. Adding the rangefinder was perhaps worth the time and cost. Model II cameras, already having the rangefinder, seem to have been upgraded less often, and usually for slow speeds.  Strap lug upgrades, stand alone, were probably uncommon, but rather just added in when more expensive conversions were requested. After the war, upgrades, including flash sync became quite popular.