Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stray cat

On a Single Roll of Tri-X

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not strictly Leica, so I hope it's OK with the mods. A Leica would have possibly been even better for this exercise, given the lack of shutter lag that he'd have been getting with his SLR. But I feel it's a really good video which goes a long way to showing what a considered approach and taking one's time - he shot the 36 frames over 12 hours in different locations - can achieve. The chosen pictures are fabulous and the darkroom sequences are, too:

https://petapixel.com/2020/03/06/photo-challenge-shooting-bmx-on-a-nikon-f100-and-kodak-tri-x-film/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed the video and the photo you printed at the end.  Just last week I as photographing skateboarders in Manhattan.  It really is fun photographing athletes.  I was shooting on a M246 monochrom at the time.  You can check the pictures out on my instagram. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stray cat said:

Not strictly Leica, so I hope it's OK with the mods. A Leica would have possibly been even better for this exercise, given the lack of shutter lag that he'd have been getting with his SLR. But I feel it's a really good video which goes a long way to showing what a considered approach and taking one's time - he shot the 36 frames over 12 hours in different locations - can achieve. The chosen pictures are fabulous and the darkroom sequences are, too:

https://petapixel.com/2020/03/06/photo-challenge-shooting-bmx-on-a-nikon-f100-and-kodak-tri-x-film/

Looks as though he was using autofocus, which speeds things up, maybe compensating for the shutter lag. Of course seasoned SLR users anticipate and compensate for the lag.

Good video, but had to watch it twice. The first time concentrating (mainly) on the sub-titles, not being a French speaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mediumformula said:

Really enjoyed the video and the photo you printed at the end.  Just last week I as photographing skateboarders in Manhattan.  It really is fun photographing athletes.  I was shooting on a M246 monochrom at the time.  You can check the pictures out on my instagram. 

Thanks medium. I did check out your Instagram - it looks excellent! Unfortunately I only got a little time with it as it cuts you out if you don't sign in, and I'm not a subscriber. But great work.

8 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Looks as though he was using autofocus, which speeds things up, maybe compensating for the shutter lag. Of course seasoned SLR users anticipate and compensate for the lag.

Good video, but had to watch it twice. The first time concentrating (mainly) on the sub-titles, not being a French speaker.

Glad you enjoyed it too, Steve. The thing about anticipation is a very Leica thing, too I guess. I much prefer manual focus myself, especially for the kinds of pictures he was setting up - consistent distance from subject etc. His pictures seemed to indicate he had a good handle on using his gear to good effect, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounded like fun, especially with someone you have known for 12+ years who does crazy physical stuff. The problem of timing was he was using a camera he wasn't used to. Shutter delay has been close to wiped out with the newest digital cameras. He was also using older Nikon lenses with slower AF, the zoom he was using looked like my 1980's 70-210 f4, may not have been, but if it was it has painfully slow screwdriver AF. Anyway if he was using borrowed Leica it may have been worse if he was not used to the rangefinder. Sounds like he enjoyed the challenge. An enjoyable video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy