Leica Camera delivers Leica S3

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Jan1985 said:

Is here anyone that can say something about the Trade In Programm and how much you get for a used S007?

I spoke to a rep last night and we discussed this issue..

Contrary to the leak on Leica Rumors, there is as yet no official fixed trade in price but it is coming for sure.

Stay tuned.

Albert

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, albertknappmd said:

the key will be the AF performance in low light...

This was the issue facing all the BETA-testers....

Albert

Are you saying AF performance in low light was worse than S007? If so, how could that be if, as we were told, the S3 was the same as the S007 except for the new sensor? Or are you saying that the S3 AF performed the same in low light as the S007, but that was deemed an issue by all the BETA-testers? This confusing communication really doesn't help anything. I have the S007 and 7 lenses but the way this whole saga has been communicated by Leica and the secretive band of BETA testers who can't say anything but just drop confusing hints really puts me off spending money on the S3. 

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

I spoke to a rep last night and we discussed this issue..

Contrary to the leak on Leica Rumors, there is as yet no official fixed trade in price but it is coming for sure.

Stay tuned.

Albert

A Nordic Leica representative says a trade-in program will be launched April 1st. hope it is not a joke 😉

I would say only people who have used the latest (actual version) of the S3 now in 2020 can say anything how this camera works out. I am looking forward to hear experience with the production version or if I can check out one myself one day. I am not in a hurry though.

1 hour ago, albireo_double said:

Are you saying AF performance in low light was worse than S007? If so, how could that be if, as we were told, the S3 was the same as the S007 except for the new sensor? Or are you saying that the S3 AF performed the same in low light as the S007, but that was deemed an issue by all the BETA-testers? This confusing communication really doesn't help anything. I have the S007 and 7 lenses but the way this whole saga has been communicated by Leica and the secretive band of BETA testers who can't say anything but just drop confusing hints really puts me off spending money on the S3. 

about the same as 007

20 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

I would say only people who have used the latest (actual version) of the S3 now in 2020 can say anything how this camera works out. I am looking forward to hear experience with the production version or if I can check out one myself one day. I am not in a hurry though.

absolutely true.... that is why I will wait for a few trusted reviews before jumping in..

Albert

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Leica obviously put a lot of thought into the S3, which makes me wonder:  Who is Leica's intended S3 buyer? 

I also have to wonder how the S3 will fare in the market place against the 102 megapixel Fuji GFX 100, which is $9000 USD less.

After using the Fuji XPro1 and XT-1, I never found the Fuji glass produced files as nice as Leica files.  I am sure for people that want less expensive megapixels, there are choices.  But, there are also more expensive megapixel choices like Phase One.  

The hard part will be that the web will not easily show the difference in a 37mp and 64mp file - they are both sharp and beautiful colors at web sizes.  It will probably take downloading and playing with DNG files and hands on work to make a decision.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davidmknoble said:

After using the Fuji XPro1 and XT-1, I never found the Fuji glass produced files as nice as Leica files.  I am sure for people that want less expensive megapixels, there are choices.  But, there are also more expensive megapixel choices like Phase One.  

The hard part will be that the web will not easily show the difference in a 37mp and 64mp file - they are both sharp and beautiful colors at web sizes.  It will probably take downloading and playing with DNG files and hands on work to make a decision.

I would fully expect both of of your above mentioned point to be true.

In my experience, there is just no getting around the fact that Leica lenses are the the best lenses in the world.  When I compared Fuji Velvia 50 chromes made with Nikkor lenses to Fuji Velvia 50 chromes made with my 50mm  Summilux M millennium (last pre-ASPH 50 'lux) the difference was staggering.  The 50 Summilux chromes were light years better than the Nikkor chromes.

It all comes down to what a person wants/needs and how much they are willing to pay for what they want/need. 

Perfection has never been for sale at flea market prices.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Herr Barnack:

Leica obviously put a lot of thought into the S3, which makes me wonder:  Who is Leica's intended S3 buyer? 

I also have to wonder how the S3 will fare in the market place against the 102 megapixel Fuji GFX 100, which is $9000 USD less.

I assume mainly users who use already (and still) the S-system.

Some people (including myself) also realized the S still works best for them compared to other, less expensive mirrorless medium format solutions.

Reasons can be:

- people who prefer OVF

- people who like/prefer the S-glass rendering (I know from own tests that Fujy and Hassy lenses are great, but I really love the S lenses and its rendering)

- people who also use the SL system and appreciate to be able to use S-lenses also on the SL(2) and to have comparable menue system

- people who like the speed of the S compared to other solutions (the x1dII start up is still veeeryy long)

Of course I see some compromises of the S-system, like size/weight of lenses, price, and AF is not the greatest IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

I assume mainly users who use already (and still) the S-system

Given cost, I assume the users that would upgrade quickly would be:

* professionals that want / need a) more megapixels, b) higher ISO

* those with older S bodies - SE, S006 with 12 stops of dynamic range and CCD

* anyone else that wants / needs a) more megapixels, b) higher ISO

Those seem to be really the two main changes, but I'll wait to read / see more as users of the S3 share results.

Another obvious S3 buyer would be those robust and intrepid folk who are set to ascend the summit of Everest or other 8000 meter peaks. 

At least two S3 bodies and half a dozen lenses would be the absolute minimum for recording their mountaineering acts of derring-do...

Edited by Herr Barnack